Avian Flu

Captain Bonglington

There's been an outbreak of Avian Flu in Swans in Worcestershire, and also.near Wrexham, the nasty H5N1 job...Bad news. 

If you're out fishing and see dead swans, or see swans behaving oddly, namely clearly distressed,  spinning in circles,bleeding nostrils and unable to keep their heads up (the best way I can describe it is like a Swan with mad cow disease) give DEFRA a ring and report it, it helps them if you have a What 3 Words location or grid reference. 

Don't bother phoning the EA incident number on your licence as the just send you to DEFRA.

I saw this for myself over the weekend and it's not very nice. :(

As anglers we're often the only eyes on the ground and the first to notice things like this, so please keep your eyes peeled and make the effort to report it if you notice anything untoward. :yep:

Edited by Captain Bonglington
  • Like 10

I was down Diglis Weird a week ago and didn't notice anything untowards, whereabouts in Worcestershire is the latest confirmed case mate?

• Like 1

A wildlife sanctuary near Droitwich, the affected birds I saw (two fucked, one dead) were some way downstream though, so their exclusion/control zone is fucked already. :headpain: 

• Like 2

They're really shit at managing their quarantine the last cull was down to bringing a bird in from Evesham but they probably had problems with getting the PCR tests done with everything going on?

• Like 1

How do you quarantine wild birds? :unsure:

The cat's out of the bag already it seems. 

• Like 2

They have just declared the entire country an avian flue prevention zone.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu

Back in the day, i registered my handful of back yard chickens cause it seemed like the right, voluntary thing to do.

What the bstards dont tell you is that once you have voluntarily registered for a non enforceable scheme - keeping the details up to date becomes mandatory - so it is an offence not to update the records for something you didnt have to do in the first place. How ridiculous.

• Like 4

Just now, Captain Bonglington said:

How do you quarantine wild birds? :unsure:

Well they take birds in for treatment that's how the last outbreak was caused, I assumed they would have a quarantine aviary or something I know they're based on the river and probably have a large gathering they can't control.

Shit for lightning to strike the same place twice.

• Like 2

I don't fish any more (Hung up the armalites several years ago now) but I still frequent a lot of the venues I once wet lines in because they're also good foraging spots so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Sounds awful.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Fugk.

08/12/2021

Dead White-tailed Eagle tests positive for bird flu

A dead White-tailed Eagle has tested positive for bird flu in Scotland.

adult-1.jpg?&width=1000
A dead White-tailed Eagle on Skye is thought to be the first known case of avian influenza in the species in Scotland (Dawid B).

As reported on Skye Birds, an adult bird from a long-established territory was found dead in on the island at Trotternish on 14 November. Upon analysis by the Scotland's Rural College pathology unit the eagle tested positive for Avian influenza (bird flu). 

Full details are awaiting publication by the Animal Plant & Health Agency but it's thought to be the first case in Scotland involving a White-tailed Eagle. The fact the species will feed on Greylag Goose may be an explanation behind the death.

https://www.birdguides.com/news/dead-white-tailed-eagle-tests-positive-for-bird-flu/

Edited by Cambium
  • Like 1

@Cambium

Just wait for Wild Justice to claim it was a gemekeeper did it :(

Load of Barnacle geese near here were found dead after the storm but they think avian flu is to blame, awaiting test results.

Avian flu sucks ass. 

A scary time for poultry keepers. Its far too close to home for my liking right now. Had APHA round inspecting today.

She asked if she could see my flock and housing arrangements. I said yea you can from 100m away and you disinfect and change your boots before you get out of the car and put fresh clean overalls on first. 

To which she replied "we haven't got stuff to do that" 

Well sorry. Following your guidance you can fuck off if you think your visiting all the premises in a control zone where highly pathogenic bird flu is present and then come mingle with my birds.

Not a fucking cat in hells chance. 

She was happy I'm taking biosecurity seriously lol

Fucking lunacy though. Someone going farm to farm mingling with birds in an infected area......genius 

• Like 3