Ereaders

Boojum

I've had a Kindle paperwhite for a while and I like it (apart from the kidle store being absolute shit for finding stuff on cos the indexing is atrocious) but you can't use library services like Borrowbox on it :frown: so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a (preferably cheap lol ) ereader that you can use library apps on :)

• Like 1

My kids have the Amazon fire tablets which for cheap (often on sale for £39) are fine for use as ereaders.

If that's all you plan on using it for any of the no name/non branded knock-off tablets are adequate I imagine.

If you don't mind spending a bit more I've always liked the Samsung tablets. 

It may be coz I'm an Android user but the interface has always seemed far more pleasant than any of apples over priced shite imo.

• Like 4

Don't have a mobile and I don't really want to fork out on a tablet. I just want a simple ereader like the paperwhite (with a similar kind of display, designed just for reading text so it doesn't give you eyestrain) but that you can use the library app on. Kindle fire seems to be the best option so far, but I'd prefer a non-Amazon one since I've already got a kindle.

Check if the fire tabs are compatible with that library app you wanna use mate.

If they are you can't really go wrong for the price.  

They're great for reading from I use my kids often :yep:

E2+ Probably cheaper than a fair few ereaders tbh

Edited by Dodgee
  • Like 4

I'll give them a look.

There's just too much bloody technology around nowadays lol It's fucking confusing for luddites like me that just want to read ebooks lol (and categorically refuse to own a fucking mobile phone lol ).

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 2

My mrs has a paperwhite, my son showed me how to get most books for free, using calibre software, each kindle has its own unique email, which you put into calibre, i then use lib-gen or z library to download books and then send via calibre, i have got her hundreds and hundreds of books. There has only been around half dozen that i haven,t been able to get her, i know it's illegal but so is a lot of shit you find on the web.

• Like 3

I don't mind watching movies or sport without paying (the fuckers have got more than enough money), but I don't want to do that with books, I respect writers and think they deserve to make money from their work :) (even if the bulk of it goes to publishers, be it traditional paper punlishers or Amazon et al :frown::sadwalk: ).

• Like 2

The kobo ereaders have overdrive built in which allows you to lend library books directly from the ereader, I've never used one as I have a Kindle but have looked at the kobo Clara hd which looks similar to the paperwhite.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Im months late with this but wanted to add this in case you are still looking for a solution.

There is a program called 'calibre' that (someone already mentioned but didnt describe too well) you can download for your PC that will auto convert any book and send it to the Kindle for you. It also removes DRM so you get a copy you can keep forever and use on any device. You could download the library books (or books from any source) to a PC then send them to kindle with calibre.

Most of the authors I read have way more money than me so I just pirate away. Combined with calibre it's dead easy to get any book in any format onto my Kindle.

Edited by Two Tents
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...

I have several Kobo e-readers, they are very good and you can borrow library books. If you want to run apps, you need an Android based reader, and these tend to be relatively pricey. I have a Boox device, it's great but overpriced compared to Kobo readers.

• 2 months later...
On 27/09/2021 at 1:29 PM, Boojum said:

I've had a Kindle paperwhite for a while and I like it (apart from the kidle store being absolute shit for finding stuff on cos the indexing is atrocious) but you can't use library services like Borrowbox on it :frown: so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a (preferably cheap lol ) ereader that you can use library apps on :)

Bit late for a reply but...

I have never had a Kindle as the encryption, library, ads etc.... put me off so i have always used Kobo.

Currently using a Kobo Libra H20 and its been rock solid.

My main reason for replying is that there is a torrent site called Myanomouse thats just for ebooks, audio books etc... and since i originally got my first Kobo over 10 years ago i have never bought a book ;)

It is a closed site, but iirc you can apply using their irq chat and read their rules and then answer some questions to prove you read their rules. Then they let you join. (just be carefull you keep your ratio at least 1:1 and seed any downloads for at least 3 days after downloading.

I also use Calibre on my pc to add books to the Kobo, it can convert mobi to epub etc.. and can even remove the encryption from the Amazon books ;)

Edited by Subutai
  • Like 1

Would also suggest Library Genesis for 'free' e-books. Great for non-fiction, scientific papers, and a huge range of fiction e-books in different formats too.