Grow Room Air Intake

PlinkyPlonky

Looking for advice on how to intake air to a 10x6 grow room.

There are two 530w leds and an a/c infinity T6 running in the room.

Since I ran the second led,the room is running too hot,85/87f in flower.I currently have the room door open but that's not ideal.

The only intake at the moment is the jam/cracks around the door frame.This isn't enough in terms of temps or CO2 I'm guessing ?

The only solution is cutting a passive vent/an active fan in the door or putting an a/c in the room ? (Both of those aren't a great option for me)

Thanks for any help

Similar to your t6,

you could use an s4 or S6 as an intake fan, 

which size you go for depends on your ambient temps etc. 

It's usually best to take air from living space if you can, 

where the temp is in the goldilocks zone. 

Atb 

and welcome to UK420 :)

Are you in the UK or do I detect an American? :bong: Fahrenheit instead of Celcius/Centigrade. 

:yinyang:

• Like 2

On 24/09/2021 at 6:20 AM, Shumroom said:

Similar to your t6,

you could use an s4 or S6 as an intake fan, 

which size you go for depends on your ambient temps etc. 

It's usually best to take air from living space if you can, 

where the temp is in the goldilocks zone. 

Atb 

and welcome to UK420 :)

Are you in the UK or do I detect an American? :bong: Fahrenheit instead of Celcius/Centigrade. 

:yinyang:

After some thought,I'm thinking to upgrade to a Infinity S8 fan and move it to the back of the room(ceiling height) as after doing a CFM calculation it seems the t6 may be underpowered for the area.

I think I will then cut two 9 inch passive vents in the bottom of the door as apparently your passive intake should be bigger than your exhaust hole(hehe).If that's not enough I might put an active fan(infinity T3) in the door.

How does that sound ? 

• Like 1

On 24/09/2021 at 8:34 AM, anarchycamp said:

You'll need to cut a big old hole somewhere, can you cut from above and drop ducting down to the floor?

I was thinking that but am wary of passing air through the attic due to any nasty shit potentially getting into the room.Where would the source be coming from if I did drop a duct down,and I thought the intake needs to be bigger than your exhaust ? 

On 24/09/2021 at 11:43 AM, mikeydoughnut said:

Weather is on the turn. I don’t think you’ll have that problem for long. I stand to be corrected but 29 degrees isnt the end of the world wi LEDs just make sure you water them often enough and plenty of air movement from well placed oscillating fans.

I will have the same problem when the weather picks up again though.

The leaves get a bit crispy on the edges though so they ain't happy.I can't get under about 52 for r/h either.

Guest anarchycamp

A fair few people extract out into the loft then as far into the eaves as they can, sometimes you've got a bathroom extractor vent you could attach it to. As for in taking from the loft, tights are what I use to stop debris, check it regularly and you'd be good id have thought, as long as you be got a source of fresh air in there. You can also get an intake filter box which are supposed to be good.

I don't have any fresh air up there so I'm going to go through my bathroom vent.

3/4 times as big as the extract but it never is really, I think it's more at 4/5/6" you can get away with a passive intake but bigger and you'd need active intake

1 minute ago, anarchycamp said:

A fair few people extract out into the loft then as far into the eaves as they can, sometimes you've got a bathroom extractor vent you could attach it to. As for in taking from the loft, tights are what I use to stop debris, check it regularly and you'd be good id have thought, as long as you be got a source of fresh air in there. You can also get an intake filter box which are supposed to be good.

I don't have any fresh air up there so I'm going to go through my bathroom vent.

3/4 times as big as the extract but it never is really, I think it's more at 4/5/6" you can get away with a passive intake but bigger and you'd need active intake

Well I'm exhausting through a 6" vent in the wall that goes outside so that's covered.Even with a filter I'm wary of bringing in air from the attic as there is fiberglass up there and it's a grow for medical also.I have a bathroom vent in the room over I was thinking to connect to but again I am concerned that if there was a tear in the ducting I would be sucking fiberglass etc in the area.

Looks like the only other option is to cut a hole in the door which I'm not to happy about doing.

After doing a CFM calculation it seems that the T6 may be underpowered so am thinking to upgrade to a T8.You're saying I would need an active intake if I have a 8inch exhaust ?  (Was looking at an Infinity T3 for an active exhaust if that's what's required)    

Just now, mikeydoughnut said:

@PlinkyPlonky your RH correlates to temps when following VPD. I must admit I take it with a pinch of salt when in late flower but 52% and 29 degrees isn’t all too bad. Google pulse vpd chart. I’m only avoiding ridiculous humidity with the help of a dehumidifier otherwise I’m up in the late 60’s past few days. I’ve had to lay the smart meter face down to stop my head exploding.  Good luck with it though, maintaining a steady environment isn’t so easy.

Yes,not bad but I would like to do better if at all possible,and I should add that that range is only possible with the door wide open which I can't do long term.

My humy is going 24/7 in flower!Outside humidity is up in the 90s.

What is this smart meter you speak of,a way to measure electricity used,if so where can I get one ?

Edited by PlinkyPlonky

Guest anarchycamp
24 minutes ago, PlinkyPlonky said:

Well I'm exhausting through a 6" vent in the wall that goes outside so that's covered.Even with a filter I'm wary of bringing in air from the attic as there is fiberglass up there and it's a grow for medical also.I have a bathroom vent in the room over I was thinking to connect to but again I am concerned that if there was a tear in the ducting I would be sucking fiberglass etc in the area.

Looks like the only other option is to cut a hole in the door which I'm not to happy about doing.

After doing a CFM calculation it seems that the T6 may be underpowered so am thinking to upgrade to a T8.You're saying I would need an active intake if I have a 8inch exhaust ?  (Was looking at an Infinity T3 for an active exhaust if that's what's required)    

Not necessarily, I'd have thought if you use one fan itd be running faster, using two it'll be a bit less to balance with the intake fan. 

I have the worst insulation up my loft too, but im only going to be running about 2m to the vent, you could hang it to prevent tears.

I bought nice ducting that has a vinyl like outer, AC infinity ducting. Think it's similar to combi ducting

Just now, anarchycamp said:

Not necessarily, I'd have thought if you use one fan itd be running faster, using two it'll be a bit less to balance with the intake fan. 

I have the worst insulation up my loft too, but im only going to be running about 2m to the vent, you could hang it to prevent tears.

I bought nice ducting that has a vinyl like outer, AC infinity ducting. Think it's similar to combi ducting

Yea,that's the ducting I was going to get,AC Infinity.

Will there be a constant noise from the vent in the room where you're connecting to/pulling from ? And where will you place your ducting that's coming into the grow space ?

Thanks

Just now, mikeydoughnut said:

@PlinkyPlonky Aye the electricity board (showing me age now) supply them as a way of getting folk to be more economically minded regarding their use of gas and electricity. I use mine to work out how much me grow costs. It’s 13p an hour for a veg and flowering tent. Once the dehumidifier goes on we’re hitting 20p. But then I’ve got 2 kids with a PlayStation5 each which adds to this. 20p p/hr isn’t the end of the world though.

Good luck with getting it sorted I feel your pain :yep:

Ah,I see.Yea I must figure out how to calculate the amount of electric being used!

I just did a major revamp of the grow space and thought I was dialled in only to have this issue of temps/rh rear it's head since I added a second led.I suppose the problem solving is a part of the buzz of it though.lol

Edited by PlinkyPlonky