Salmon Ban

Exhale

• 3 months later...
On 17/09/2021 at 11:16 AM, ledgrowlights-Craig said:

The wier in Shrewsbury has always been a nice place to watch jumping Salmon every year, each time I go I seem to see less of them.

I used to live in Shrewsbury in the early eighties, just above the River.  I spent a lot of time on the river and was down at the weir very often indeed. Never saw a salmon!!!!!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

It's hard enough catch one eh ! It seems almost everywhere is catch and release ,barbless hooks and fly fishing only. I don't mind but I'm tired of paying for permits for a day plus the state licence. It is nice to see some rivers I'd never get to fish without paying, and some places then you see fellas fishing spinners and prawns and that means they don't pay for anything and they're local boot boys that can't fly fish nor would they be interested in trying. I know because they're scumbags that leave their rubbish on the bank. I did accidentally walk onto rivers that are divided into beats, and other friendly fishermen just assumed I had paid for the privilege too. 

I'm having trouble getting a fly out across a large river with a heap of trees on the bank, plus sludge near the bank. It's not all that suited for wading and because it's so wide some of the nice flowing water is too far out and it's messy sludge for 15 or 20' from the bank. I've been roll casting a sinking tip line on a 10' rod . It is hard work, the line's too heavy and too far under the water to get a good roll cast. I had to go home early this evening, my back is sort of stuck. I've a grizzly lump between the shoulder blade and spine from maybe only a hundred casts, an hour. I'd fish a floating line except the fly skates on the water more, and it's not ideal. The water's low but the season's over soon. I'm thinking a kayak and an anchor might be handy. Either that or a longer switch rod but that seems like a lot of slogging too. Watch a fella Spey cast and his posture is often too far forward, crooked. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm a trout fisherman first. Getting disheartened seeing salmon roll ,and maybe ten days since I got a touch. I caught a few sea trout that took the sting out of the travel and effort. I'm camping in bogs. 

I'm very tempted to maybe get a new rod and a new fold up kayak from the US . Because it's near the end of the season, they're often a tad cheaper. 

One thing I've observed after showing off my flies to fellas and asking them to pick a pattern, well they usually say anything small and black, and they'd pick out a stoats tail or black pennel. After I whipped up a few dozen bright and flashy creations. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 17/09/2021 at 19:01, grotbags said:

Yes, farmed salmon tastes like shit...... 

Didnt properly read the op... Still tastes like shit

Ecological disaster in Scotland in Norway, the wild salmon are picking up the crap they feed the farmed salmon. 

Just now, grotbags said:

Ecological disaster in Scotland in Norway, the wild salmon are picking up the crap they feed the farmed salmon. 

This is fucking shit

They feed farmed salmon a fucking dye, if they didn't, it would be whitish. Whereas wild salmon are healthy and the pink/red colour comes from haem oxygen in their tissues. 

Boycott all farmed salmon

The conditions of those farmed trout is atrocious.  Warts and lumps everywhere in poor condition. 

• Like 1