Glass cleaning

Exhale

Hi guys, thought I would start a thread on cleaning glass - sharing my cleaning method! Please share yours too, I try not to let my glass get too gunked up as the work increases tenfold even when using a solvent like ISO, I find heat is a better cleaner and sometimes just boil my glass in a big casserole pan but like the ISO it can be a bit of work once the gunk sets in.

Here's the easy method to keep on top of your glass do this for 5 mins once a week...

You will need:

• A Dirty Bong/Vape Glass
  • A Kettle
  • A toothbrush or chunky pipe cleaner
  • Sterident tablets
  • Kitchen towel or rubber bungs

Not as gunky as usual, I had to clean the bowl for my flowerpot as the PASxMAC1 I'm smoking at the moment is resin heaven and produces vape honey like you wouldn't believe!

large.dirtyglass.jpg

Fill your kettle up once (mine takes 1.7L) and boil it, pour some of the boiling water into your glass and let it sit a couple minutes to warm everything up (you can see the act of adding the boiling water by kettle has removed most of the gunk already being not so gunky this week) I give the downstem a quick scrub with an old toothbrush, or a pipecleaner (none left) then tip out the water

large.downstemclean.jpg

Water should still be good and hot enough in the kettle for this next step, I break a sterident tablet up and drop the pieces in the downstem so they end up in the bottom of the glass then bung the downstem and pour the hot water in through the mouth end to fill the glass up halfway or roughly 2/3. The Tablets soon get to work and the heat again helps softening the gunnk, the bubbles and reaction from the tablets lift the last of the gunk off (or the majority of it if it's more gunky). When the reaction slows I'll pick up the glass with a tea towel and shake it a bit until I can see all the crap swirling and none stuck to the glass. Empty and rinse with the last of the kettle water.

large.steridentclean.jpg

Et voila! a bit of limescale on the downstem, need to buy some de-scaler (my water is harder than Ronnie Biggs) but sparkly fresh all around

large.clean.jpg

This is a relatively cheap method of cleaning your glass too, nowhere near as expensive as a bottle of ISO.

• Like 10

Very similar story here except I microwave the pieces I can with a little washing up water for the first rinse, use Oxyclean along with the Steradent tabs to keep it bubbling away for a few hours, bung the downstem with a cork, fill it so the bubbles can eat their way through any gunk in the whip too, sometimes give them a final rinse with vinegar or finish to dissolve the scaley stuff, and put a few drops of Cranberry extract in the water to help slow down the build up between cleans.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Bicarb soda is excellent. Shifts the chazz from bangers etc. Also cleans my dcup titanium of any hard to remove chazz. I have a cup filled with bi carb and I just add fresh water as it dries up and reuse. Dunk entire item in bi carb slush for the win.  I haven't had to replace my box in 5 years....

I have some zip lock bags filled with iso and dump.smalll glass pieces in (drop downs, glass bowls etc). After soak in first bag it goes into second for rinse and finally into 3rd. After couple months first bag is v dirty so is dumped (you could extract from this) and the 2nd bag becomes the first etc.

I also have 3 bottles of iso I use for my rigs in the same way. I get through about one litre of iso a year for all cleaning. I pay about 6 euros a litre.

• Like 3

@Exhale , dam it i thought being you it was going to be a easy valet screen clean/no smear tip:) sure could use one hate cleaning glass of any sort lol ,

I must try your tip though as allways iso then dishwasher my bit n pieces :bag:

• Like 1

I use iso to reclaim most of the cannabinoid gunk, but i dont think anything beats a PBW soak to really get things clean. 

• Like 1

I stopped using Isopropyl Alcohol because of the expense and to be honest I don't need the reclaim, it doesn't taste great :puke:

The heat works the best as it softens the gunk and then obviously the water helps lift it off, those steradent tablets are wicked though they do most of the work, once it's stopped fizzing I give the glass a good shake and that sorts anything left with the motion swilling the water around.

I'm getting some smaller glass next year as I'm going from 18mm down to 14mm with a post for the flowerpot I will probably buy small enough to microwave/boil in a pot.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...