Colon cancer

Moby

Hi guys, 

My dads wife has colon cancer that has spread. She's been given around a year to live and doesn't want to fight it with chemo only to feel worse and just drag things out. She's a lovely old hippy and is doing a bunch of alternative things that won't actually do anything but are currently making her feel a bit less powerless. 

I have found a review paper on cananbiniods and colorectal tumour reduction. But I need someone to help translate it for me. I just want to be able to find strains that would be high in the cananbiniods outlined in this paper and preferably lowish in thc so she can't dose enough to be effective without been 100%baked all the time. Link below. 

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2020/2371527/

I realise this wouldnt be a cure, but if it can offer a slightly extended life with minimal side effects then I  think she'd be open to using edibles/oils. Can someone more knowledgeable than me skim the above artical and let give me some pointers on dosing, strains or what oils might be useful? 

Many thanks in advance, 

M

Edited by Moby

These look like useful bits for you.

'Cannabinoids (CBD, AA-5HT, VDM11, HU210, and rimonabant) have chemopreventive potential, as they were able to attenuate colon carcinogenesis in vivo'

'CBD and CBG have cytotoxic effects on CRC tissue and cells, as they were tested either by MTT assay or 3H-thymidine incorporation with a significant decrease of cell proliferation'

However my main concern comes from the end of the article.

' first study to our knowledge that has systematically reviewed the experimental evidence of cannabinoids in colorectal cancer, as there is no study in humans to date.......................  The main limitation of this study was that animal models, outcomes, and cannabinoids tested were not the same across studies................ The quality assessment indicated that all the studies had methodological limitations and were at risk of bias...........'

I think if you were hoping to use this information to find a specific strain to help with CRC you are barking up the wrong tree, I work in cancer research and my advice would be to use cannabis as a life improver rather than a treatment. You want the cannabis to help make life liveable while she is going through hell fighting the disease.

I also highly recommend that you try and convince her to seek treatment professionally. Cannabis is in no way an alternative to actual medicine and as tough as it may be Chemo might be the best way forward. If she does decide to go ahead with chemo this is where cannabis can really shine as it can deliver tremendous relief from the chemo side effects and offer serious improvements to her life options while undergoing chemo.

I hope this help mate, I am sorry it can be really tough to go through but there is hope and so many different treatment options available.

atb

greenie

• Like 8

In my (limited) experience cannabis oil doesn't extend life.

I've read some promising stuff about CBG as a potential treatment for CRC, however in the situation you describe where metastasis has already occurred, I would imagine, would have a negative impact on the effectiveness as a treatment. 

What I will say is for palliative care cannabis oil is a wonderful aid. In my experience it significantly improves the quality of life for the patient. It's one of the most effective drugs we have for alleviating neuropathic pain which is traditionally treated with large quantities of morphine. Also the anti nausea and appetite increasing qualities will be of huge benefit during chemotherapy.

There is anecdotal evidence of cannabis doing more than simply improving the quality of life during end of life care. But I think from a strictly scientific perspective it's wise to excercise caution regarding expectations.

She should definitely discuss her desire to explore this avenue with her medical team. I am confident it would benefit her 

• Like 8

Excellent posts @NezA and @green_machine

I agree wholeheartedly with there sound advice....cancer is a battle to be fought and won......you need to throw everything at it.

My very best to a fellow warrior :yep:

• Like 6

2 hours ago, zen-ken said:

Excellent posts @NezA and @green_machine

I agree wholeheartedly with there sound advice....cancer is a battle to be fought and won......you need to throw everything at it.

My very best to a fellow warrior :yep:

Yes, thankyou for the balanced replies, very much appreciated. She's a stubborn old boot and has some fairly immovable beliefs about conventional medicine and the establishment in general. I agree that a more open conversation with her healthcare team about treatment options would probably be sensible and offer other options. But I just don't see that happening. I think partly because of where we are in the country, where we are in time and the current political climate and covid limiting patient contact time/quality.. I just don't think anykind of comprehensive conversation with her has happened other than "do you want to try and treat this or not?".. (She is confirmed as terminally ill and she's just under her GP?!?Whats that all about?!?) And then because she a skeptical, stubborn old hippy she's just gone "no, I'm going to do this my way" so the conversation ended there.. 

Sorry @green_machine, my mistake.. I had skimmed a couple of papers last night, slept on it, then grabbed and skimmed this over a coffee thismorning and hadn't really paid attention to the fact it was largely animal models... Durrr... But yes, I had initially suggested pot to my dad as palliative for her, he says she's already loosing a fair bit of weight and not eating that much. For pain, appetite and sleep it might be good. The bits and bobs I'd seen suggesting there might actually be some treatment potential was news to me..

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read and reply, 

M

Edited by Moby
  • Like 4

Def helps with the chemo sickness , a old friend was a good example , (even with sh*te bar etc) but things are better in that respect now thank f**k , hope she gets the help neded :yinyang:

• Like 3

reading that she is dying...  :(  I'm so sorry to hear this

No need for chemo or radiation then

... only sticks you in the business and keep you there until they are finished with you .

I'm going on over 10 plus years with recurrent colon  cancer with metastasis to my liver as well.

I fired my oncologist as I can kill myself just fine and don't need them to do it for me and that was their idea for me....

so I did it my way instead and glad for that decision!

getting up to 4 plus gram of oil a day took a few months but once up t steam it was easy. It took my 8 weeks to get up to a gram of oil a day...going up from there was easy.  It can be taken suppository to get all the benefits without the high. Does not have to go in far and its quick and painless.

While taking this medication after weeks ..I stared to feel GREAT.. :)  I still take a gram a day and have since I started for maintenance.! I change my strains continually if that helps any as we are all different and each strain acts differently for each person...more info on this.

Start slow  less than 20 mg's once a day after dinner at night ...increase each week until she can take it every 4 hours an at a certain dose.

DO NOT TAKE TO MUCH AT START or they may never try it ever again. Greening out (taking to much)is a nightmare!

Everyone is different with ingesting.

Ive seen 95 lb women take an entire gram after only one week and their BF at 350lb get destroyed with only 25 mg ..

everyone is different in how they handle this medication.

Makeing oil is easy and fast...

• Like 7