Anyone else use CloudReady?

soto

Hi there,

I've been using an os called CloudReady these last few weeks, it's basically a version of Chromium OS (like Chrome OS) but for unofficial hardware. It was created by Neverware which is owned by Google.

It's flying on an old laptop I have, I'm even running it off a USB 3.0 drive. I'm not massively into chromebooks, they just seem a bit overpriced for what they are to me and whilst there's the privacy worries (maybe on a par with MS) it's a pretty nifty little OS if all you need to do is browse the web, use YouTube etc.

Has a pretty small footprint too. I'm tempted to install it on an 32gb eMMC I have on a NUC that's really unsuited to Windows (you have like 2GB of usable space once all the updates are installed) not that I use Windows that much these days anyway. Windows 10 is horrendous, it's like a shapeshifting bloated alien lol , especially if you don't use an installation for a while. 

neverware.com/freedownload#intro-text

Edited by soto

@soto Interesting. For people who don't mind using google, and don't want to fuck about with Linux, it seems interesting for breathing new life into older kit  :)

This, though, springs to mind.

https://killedbygoogle.com/

Edited by j.o.i.n.t