American signal crayfish

Devon Cream

As title states anyone else had a go at catching the invasive American signal crayfish in the waterways was working last week and said to the boss those prawn creels being used they weren’t so thought fook it bait it up and sling it in the river overnight not expecting owt went back next day quite a few in there soaked them for few days then cooked them bloody beauty been chucking them out every few days nice steady stream of free feed delights anyone else had a shot at them.

TS

Good on you for helping our native fish and crays out. The signals are destroying stocks across-the-board, 

Caught a few last year but i dont eat shellfish.

But technically you need a licence to kill them as you need to prove you know the difference between the native and invaders. I think it is free.

• Like 1

Yeah I know tried to they won’t issue one some shit about it makes the problem with them worse if you can work that out!:furious: still take gonna take few there avasive so not as if taking low numbered species out am I . No one will see and friends land were not supposed to grow and smoke weed but we do :skin_up:

TS

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Sinnerman said:

... some shit about it makes the problem with them worse if you can work that out ! ...

I looked into this a few years back and it seems if you take the big males out of the system the population explodes as they are cannibalistic and serve to keep the numbers down if I recall correctly.Also you need to make sure you are using Otter proof traps to protect the Otters I think.

Bet they taste great,good luck,some good vids online about bait too

:hippy:

Gumbo.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I used to fish for these in the US - best entertainment for children back in the day was sending the kids out with some fishing line and bacon bits on a hook to the local creek. Kept us busy for hours!

The rules in England are utterly baffling and I honestly gave up even trying to figure it out - everyone needs permission for everything, and the rivers are too toxic for me to trust eating much out of them, so be mindful where you are getting your crayfish. I eventually decided it wasn't worth the risk as my system is too immunocompromised, but I grew up eating these things, and a plate of mudbugs is delicious eats for me even now. Try doing a Singapore chilli braising or a Cajun boil with them sometime.

• Like 3

There not as widespread down here as I first thought found them tho put pots out few times but the rivers had them in the farmer was a prized bellend and his field where the banks so that went bollox up. I agree the rules and legislation is a crock of shit tbh. We just cooked them on a small bbq and where nice to eat after soaking them for a while to clean them be going again soon maybe late tonight put some more traps out.

TS

• Like 1

If you ask around at the angler's clubs, they'll tell you if there are crayfish in the run. I find anglers are usually happy for someone to come along and get rid of the mudbugs.

Edited by MissusRhapsody

• 1 month later...

That's interesting.  I didn't realize there was an invasive issue with them in the UK.

Are there not native, predatory fish that eat them?

I'm guessing, if they're an issue, y'all probably don't have a native freshwater bass variety?

Smallmouth and Largemouth bass in the US fucking LOVE crawfish.  If you catch one in waters where crawfish are present, they almost always have an undigested crawfish in their guts.

As previously mentioned, they're great in a "crawfish boil" or a "lowcountry boil."

Smoked pork sausage, red potatoes, broken cobs of sweet corn, an onion, crawfish.  "Old Bay" seasoning should be mandatory, if you can find it. If you can't, you can fake the funk with salt, pepper, celery salt, garlic and onion powder, loads of cayenne pepper etc.

Add the items in separately, according to cook time needed.  ( potatoes and onion first, sausage and corn next, crawfish last etc)   Dip the shit in "cocktail sauce" if that's a thing in the UK.  If it isn't, mix ketchup (catsup?) and horseradish to get close to it. 

If you make a boil, it's mandatory that you wear denim overalls with no shirt, no shoes.  You must be piss drunk and you must blabber on in broken french-creole. It's preferable that there is a firearm close by at all times. This is to honor the history of Cajun culture in Louisana, where this shit comes from.  It is the only way to do it correctly

Ideally, you would also have killed a Raccoon or a Opossum to eat along with the boil

lol

E2A stupid humor.

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 1