Anyone have to move out temporarily

onetime

My water pipes cracked & the council turned of the water.

I was given a choice they give me some bottled water to last the weekend or I goto a hotel.

there coming back on Monday to suss out were it’s actually broke as it sounds like it’s under my concrete kitchen floor or just outside the kitchen.

they may well decide I have to move out till it’s fixed esp if it’s outside as they say they will have to hire a private firm.

Anyone had any experience with work being done & having to temp move out. As I’m wondering if I’ll have to kill the plants that are just about to go in my flowering room.

lucky my white ice finished flowering today. 

I’m guessing you get to keep the keys but arnt supposed to “ live “ there meaning I might get away with flowering this lot or not ? 

Edited by onetime
So it’s readable

If i was having to move to  allow workmen in , i would clear the lot, but i lean to the Paranoid side as a way of staying free(ish)

• Like 5

If your tents behind closed doors and doesn't make any sound outside the room you should be alright. If you get to keep the keys you can always just say you're popping back in to grab some things for watering etc.

• Like 1

Guess it depends on where the work is being done in relation to where your grow is. 

If the work is outside and the grow is in the loft you'd probably be alright but as @Personunknown said, it's generally better to be over cautious. All it takes is one workman deciding to have a snoop round your house whilst your not there and calling the fuzz. 

• Like 2

I dunno think I freaked a bit finding out I might have to move out.

If it’s inside & I can stay I’m good. 
the rooms are made to look like walk in closets with pretty locks ( but strong) on them so they look nice enough to walk past & there upstairs were the leaks down stairs as it’s no were near my room & the fans are silenced. They wouldn’t figure that I am sure of as a am not one to mess about if I think it could be... that’s if I can stay.

if it’s outside then it’s gonna be a pita as they will be red tape as they will pass if on to a private company & how long that is bothers me. 

All that said safety is darn well first as personunkown says so I am  getting ready for whatever happens come Monday when I find out more.

Thanks for the posts :) 

Edited by onetime
  • Like 2

@onetime  My guess is they will start outside and they’ll be praying the leak is out there too! If it is they will remove the broken section and lay new pipe and pipe bedding as far as practical to avoid the old one giving out again. Chances are the pipe has dropped a little causing the crack - if there has been a lack of rainfall this could well have exacerbated the drop if the pipe isn’t particularly deep in the ground.

Does your neighbour have an outside tap you could run a hose from to your place as a temporary measure thereby negating the need for you to move out?

If it’s worst case scenario and they have to dig up the kitchen floor then obviously that will take longer and be more disruptive.  If your cupboards are locked and in rooms they have no need to enter the I would stick something in from of those cupboards anyway - pile of suitcases, boxes of books just as a deterrent to any nosy buggers etc.  The workmen won’t be there more than 7/8 hours a day and you can visit each day once they’ve gone to tend to your plants. 

Also the workmen will have no need to go anywhere except your kitchen as no water means they won’t be using your loo/bathroom.

If it were me and I had to move out I’d be calling round everyday to see what they were doing and generally hurry them up! The council won’t want a big hotel bill either so will want it done in as short a period as possible. 

See what the diagnosis is on Monday,  but I wouldn’t panic just yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Personunknown said:

If i was having to move to  allow workmen in , i would clear the lot, but i lean to the Paranoid side as a way of staying free(ish)

I'm paranoid too, so I'd clear the lot. Losing a few vegged plants is no biggie compared to to have those plants found by someone who shouldn't.

Don't you have anyone knowing you grow and who could take your plants for a few days ?

• Like 2

It seems to me they are offering you somewhere to stay for toilet and washing facilities asa duty of care . That doesn’t mean you have to not be there when the workers are working relating the leak . Take the offered place to stay and make sure you control access at your home , don’t give them a key etc . It’s up to you to choose what to do regarding plants . I’ve had loads works done with mine in a one bed flat , not had an issue yet .:oldtoker:

• Like 1