Playing Nintendo NES on a HD television

Subliminal Criminal

Hi 

I have a Nintendo NES and I'm going to try and play it on my Sony HD bravia.

I have on order a multi game cart for it.

I have bought a converter for the audio and video from the NES and then it's signals are converted into HDMI.

I'm not going to show any pics yet as I have to make sure that it works obviously..

More to come

Subs

E2a.. Im not testing yet but it's nearly set up didn't take two minutes...

large.609eb66a9eb4c__20210514_183520(1).JPG

Above is the hdmi cable plugged in to the converter. The converter itself Which is powered by the usb on the side of the TV. Then it's plugged into the audio video cable Which is plugged into the Nintendo. 

The NES is so old it doesn't even have stereo sound. So it's only one channel.

I know that this may seem totally obvious shit like posting a how to wire a plug on a electrician website...

I just wanted to document it for anyone else who was interested.

large.609eb66a0824b__20210514_183541(1).JPG

Here's my Nintendo NES itself which I got from eBay about five years ago.. it's boxed with two controllrs and I got it for about 35 pounds and I have used it to test it hopefully it still works otherwise all this has been on vain!

I will update soon..

Subs

Edited by Subliminal Criminal
  • Like 1

Well I couldn't wait so here it is..

large.609eb9f432949__20210514_185053(1).JPG

Hooked up the AC adapter and flicked the switch.. yes it still has power

large.609eb9f4c94b2__20210514_185113(1).JPG

Found this on my shelf..

large.609eb9f564063__20210514_185128(1).JPG

Seems to work perfectly.. 

I realize the video is a bit blocky but it has a switch on the HDMI adapter to reduce to 720 resolution..

Audio working as well..

I will post again later 

Subs

• Like 1

Nice!

I've got a SNES here myself that I sometimes break out and hook up for an old school Donkey Kong/Mario Kart session with the wife.

One thing I found weird is that they actually look noticeably worse on new TV's than on the old gigantic backed CRT screens.  I can't remember the reason but there was a youtube vid about it, something to do with refresh rate/scan speeds or something.

I just use an old laptop to emulate anything pre 2000, really helps get the best out of the graphics on new TV's, and means I can play games that weren't released in europe, like Mario RPG on the Snes ;) Do have to break out the NES for a bit of duck hunt, as it's not the same without the light gun.

Was more of a Sega kid back on the early 90s and even have my megadrive somewhere