Fisherman's Tales

Captain Bonglington

I've just been sat by the fire musing about previous angling exploits, and it's given me an idea for a thread. :)

Tell us your fishing memories. :yep:

It doesn't have to be the day you caught your biggest fish, it could be the day your friend's helpful Spaniel launched itself into the river, to try to retrieve a 20lb Pike he was clearly having difficulties with...lol

Memorable captures, amusing, or bizzare incidents, tell us a fisherman's tale. :)

Edited by Captain Bonglington
  • Like 3

The only time I have really ever fished was with the owner of a Thai Bungalow we stayed in.

He woke me up at sunrise and we motored out to the reef. He gave me some line wrapped round some wood, a few Squid and off I went. All the fish I pulled out would probably cost hundreds of pounds in an aquarium or been stars of "Finding Nemo". Some you could eat some not. One after another they came. Just wanted the Barracuda to bite but alas.... also watched a few turtles swimming along, which was great fun.

After a few hours it was me that was frying so we had to go in. I bet there are many tales of the unaware sun burnt fisherman?

• Like 3

My best memory from fishing was with my Dad on Worthing pier, my dad didnt know anything about fishing & I just from I had lernt from a few mates. it was getting a bit late around 7pm, had to back for dinner, there was no bait left & the tide was nearly out, & I was like Please Dad one more cast ok he said but you have no lugworms left , I cast my rod reeled in quick & was gifed with a stunning Mackrel about a pound or so. After that I had many a happy time fishing with him he loved it as much as me, sadly he died years ago but I often I feel he is near when Im fishing, I was 8 at the time I caught the fish, & most of the time we clashed apart from when fishing.

• Like 7

I've only been twice and both stories mostly involve a shit lot of drinking and drug taking lol

Once on the coast and once at a local lake. 

Turns out "fishing" is married man's code for "fucking off and getting trashed without her indoors finding out/moaning" lol

Least it is with all my mates who fish anyway lol

• Like 6

my best memory was a fishing holiday with a couple of mates down to cornwall, camping on the beach was fucking sublime, waking up the next day to the view of the sea and sunshine will never leave me, caught a small scad and that was it, but the time was amazing.

best fish while i'm here we're spur dogs (huge dogfish sharks) out in the middle of the bristol channel, we could only fish the spot because it was such a lovely calm day, quite rare to get the timing right while having to book in advance, and fuck me do they live up to their names, huge spikes behind thier fins, nasty if you get caught on one.

• Like 5

I was fishing on a small gravel pit today, in shallow water,and a Swan kept appearing and mopping up the maggots I was spraying out by catapult....It reminded me of a day many years ago on an old mill pond,a carp syndicate...:)

It was very shallow, and the Carp old and wily...it wasn't made any easier by the resident Swans, who could easily pick up any bait if they knew it was there. 

I'd carefully positioned my bait, when along came one of the Swans, peering down into the water at my bait....Being young, my patience with the swans had worn thin, and so I decided the best course of action was to get the catapult out and just discourage it a bit, send a shot across its bow, or maybe just wing it...

I picked up a stone, put it in the catapult and let fly....:rolleyes:

I couldn't have hit the thing any squarer between the eyes with a rifle....a loud crack echoed across the lake upon impact, and the poor Swan folded, it's head underwater and seemingly having some kind of fit. :no:

Fuck. It seemed to come round slightly, it's head was above water at least, but it clearly wasn't right, so I packed up my gear and legged it. :wassnnme:

I returned the next week to find the resident swans all present and correct, but it did teach me not to be an utter cunt. :yes:

• Like 9

Not really got any fab tales...

When i was in jamaica there was a heirachy within the hotel workers...who could sell where type of deal.

Now not being one for paying top dollar and having wares delivered on a silver platter by the concierge(yes...really!!)

We got friendly with the gardeners.these particular guys werent allowed inside the hotel and maintained the outer gardens.Watching all the holiday makers eating 5* food.

After smuggling them whatever food they fancied(burger and chips!)and chatting it turned out they had a boat! they invited me out on a fishing trip with them.

Turned out they ran tourist fishing trips and everyone else was paying $120! Whilst id payed in frèe to me hambergers!

Spent half a day in some wild waves and caught nothing.

That day over burger and chips it turned out they rarely caught anything in the midday trips but demand was there so hey..

Their main gig(apart from the obvious) was supplying the hotels with fresh fish

To catch,you had to be on the pier at 4am...something people in all inclusive(read free drinks) rarely made!

They underestimated me! I was there on the end of the pier at 4am.they were shocked to see me!

Off we went not far off the front of the hotel with 6 lines running huge lures.

Within minutes we had runs on several lines...i picked up mine and started 'playing' my fish much to the distress of the fellas!!

I was giving line just like i had seen on the telly when my line went solid.

By this time all the guys had reeled theirs straight in and we had plenty of 3ft long tuna flapping about onboard...me however,i had fannied about too much and was now attatched to a BIG shark!

My line was swifly cut,i was scolded in patowa for loosing the gear and we prepared to go again...this time reeling furiously as soon as you hooked one!!

By 9am we has caught alot of fish and i was allowed to keep 2.

I walked up the private beach with a tuna in each hand thinking how awesome it all was!!the folk on the beach didnt think it was awesome!!looking at me with typical rich folk distain...

That was until I gave them to the guy at the grill and eveyone in the hotel ate free jamaican spiced tuna for the rest of the day!!

They were th__________is big. lol

• Like 10

• 3 months later...

I used to fish a lot as a teen. I had a bit of a reputation at the juniors, kids would go home if I pulled a decent peg in the draw lol 

I have a few wildlife tales that still haunt me ... 30 odd years later 

On a school trip with another school to Ireland, hoping to bag up on the bream after spawning. I cast my line out and hooked into a swan in flight, by total accident, and fortunately plucked a single feather from it's wing without it missing a beat. I was soooo relieved.

One Sunday morning match one the Avon I was sat there willing the fish into my net as usual when the biggest rat you've ever seen scurried from my right, under my legs, brushing between my calves and the box as it darted into the bushes on my left. I still shudder thinking about that feeling lol ....

And the 6ft snake that basically did the same thing multiple times lol I think it was an escaped pet as it wasn't bothered about people and would silently glide out of the field behind us, down the side of your box and slip into the water at your feet before you knew it was there. Used to shit me up every time lol. Amazing to watch swim, watching the head stay dead still as the body flowed behind it.

• Like 6

One that never fails to make me cry laughing when I go back over it, my river season is usually july-aug and i'll go with a few mates and they bring their lads for a few days camping - we were walking/wading a stretch of the severn and part of it was on land with livestock and a sheep had been done, chased by something right in to the barb wire boundary and it ripped it's stomach/side and was caught up bad, had been there a few days as we could smell it constantly a couple hundred yards downstream on the warm breeze :puke: 

Stomach and that had swollen and ballooned out and the lads were fucking around and poking at it with a stick *POP* one of them absolutely covered in shit and maggot and then we all just started vomiting dirty sanchez style lol bloody good job waders were on :yep:

I'll never forget the look on that lads face I think the laughter made me succumb to vomiting I was in tears couldn't breathe at all fucked on mdma.

• Like 4

When i lived in pershore there was a little lake where the carp litrally hung themselves for floating dog biccys on a summers eve...

I imagine a dog swimming by would be a bit peckish ehen confronted with such an offering lol

• Like 2

@Captain Bonglington I was looking after a mates staffy cross sheepdog lol  I was with a mate and we decided to use feeder rods . Was on canal towpath by a tunnel a good spot. Filled the feeder and rigged some corn also on the hook. Stood the rods up leaning on a bench. Tidied the tackle up as busy on path. Next thing me mate goes fish on. I’m like I ain’t cast yet lol . Rods twitching , dogs run down path , reels whizzing , she’s still running . She took the corn and hook stuck in top of throat .  The ducks another tale lol was a right day tbh .

• Like 2