Lure fishing

Kush Lover

Morning all,

I have finally found the fishing section so just seeing if there are any other lure fishermen about? I am learning my way at the moment and even tempted to get out there in the next few weeks.

• Like 1

before my elf stopped me from getting out and about, i used to love some lure fishing, would walk for miles along a local sluice or canal in search of pike and perch.:yep:

am fortunate to also have a few bigish waters in my area that hold a decent head of predators, and i'm not far from a couple of decent rivers so chub fishing was always a good way to spend a few hours.

also used to do a fair bit of kayak fishing, fished windemere near enough every week after big pike.

have still got all of my gear, have been meaning to have a try on a local beach for a bass, will hopefully get around to it one day.

• Like 1

Hopefully you will get around to it one day @brainwashedsheeple

I've recently moved to within 10 miles of the coast so should be making it a weekly trip now.

I need to get round to trying kayak fishing but having no experience at it I think I would need to take some courses and get some experience under my belt before going out on the open sea.

• Like 3

On 26/02/2021 at 0:13 PM, Kush Lover said:

I need to get round to trying kayak fishing but having no experience at it I think I would need to take some courses and get some experience under my belt before goi

ng out on the open sea.

I'd highly recommend giving it a go dude, especially as you're so near the coast. There's no better way to fish for me, it's a shame I'm so far from the coast and don't get to experience it as often as I'd like.

It's as much about exploring the coastline as it is fishing for me, paddling 50 yards into a Pembrokeshire cliff cave, looking back and seeing a little light at the end of the tunnel you've paddled into whilst really high takes some beating. :)

Good to see you're thinking safety...:yep:

Maybe book a guided sea kayaking trip locally for a start, see how you get on with it...chat with some local kayak anglers, and there's probably a local group on the social medias...:yep:

• Like 1

On 27/02/2021 at 2:59 PM, Captain Bonglington said:

I'd highly recommend giving it a go dude, especially as you're so near the coast. There's no better way to fish for me, it's a shame I'm so far from the coast and don't get to experience it as often as I'd like.

It's as much about exploring the coastline as it is fishing for me, paddling 50 yards into a Pembrokeshire cliff cave, looking back and seeing a little light at the end of the tunnel you've paddled into whilst really high takes some beating. :)

Good to see you're thinking safety...:yep:

Maybe book a guided sea kayaking trip locally for a start, see how you get on with it...chat with some local kayak anglers, and there's probably a local group on the social medias...:yep:

I have to put safety first as the sea really takes no prisoners!! I also suffer from degenerative disc's so I think sitting at an almost right angle would murder my lower back but a  bit more core work and I will try one of the local trips.

It just seems way more affordable than a boat!

• Like 1

Yeah, it's an affordable (comparatively) and easy way to get afloat. 

And yeah, she takes no prisoners dude. You suddenly feel very insignificant on a kayak at sea. :yep:

Your back may be an issue to be honest...it gets to my lower back after a couple of hours. Nothing that a quick trip to shore and a walk about doesn't cure but I haven't got bad discs. 

One good thing about the kayak is you can fish from it, but you can also access those shore marks that you otherwise couldn't. 

Quite often I'll paddle to shore, haul the yak up somewhere safe, and wade along the rocks and gullies in my wetsuit with a rod...gets you to all those dream marks you couldn't access otherwise. :yep:

Just now, Captain Bonglington said:

Yeah, it's an affordable (comparatively) and easy way to get afloat. 

And yeah, she takes no prisoners dude. You suddenly feel very insignificant on a kayak at sea. :yep:

Your back may be an issue to be honest...it gets to my lower back after a couple of hours. Nothing that a quick trip to shore and a walk about doesn't cure but I haven't got bad discs. 

One good thing about the kayak is you can fish from it, but you can also access those shore marks that you otherwise couldn't. 

Quite often I'll paddle to shore, haul the yak up somewhere safe, and wade along the rocks and gullies in my wetsuit with a rod...gets you to all those dream marks you couldn't access otherwise. :yep:

Oh man those dream marks that are always inaccessible apart from by sea, although I found a new mark at the weekend but watching the Atlantic waves pounding the rocks I will be buying a life jacket for round here!!

I've even looked at pedal powered ones as well but I think that is cheating haha

• Like 1

Yeah, a PFD or floatation suit is a good idea when on the rocks...Just takes one wave to have you in the water. I nearly got caught in Pembrokeshire last Autumn....had my back to the water swapping lures, I heard the wave hit the rocks, and knew it was coming. Just the wave dumping over you and the cold water shock is enough to give you a fright. 

I shore fish the Bristol channel a fair bit, you go in on the ebb tide  in particular and you're in big trouble. 

The pedal yaks can be ideal for lure fishing. Reason being you can hold station in the tide or swell when near the shoreline and keep your hands free to fish....you still need to carry a paddle so if you feel you're cheating you can paddle instead. So don't discount them. :yep:

I don't think I need to say this but I will....If you're planning on fishing rock marks alone, always tell someone your intended location, and what time you intend to return. It's an idea to arrange to check in with someone on an agreed time basis, hourly say,  but never assume you will have mobile signal. It's always best to fish with a buddy. :yep:

When I'm out on my yak, I've nearly always got my mate on his motored boat within 2 way radio range, and he'll know my intentions....ideally you should undertake a VHF radio course and carry one at all times, especially if afloat alone. 

Edited by Captain Bonglington

just to add to this kush, i had to give up my kayak fishing(after many years) due to having fucked discs in my spine, i could handle the paddling on short trips, but it was simply the safety factor for me, if i tipped i do not think i would have been able to sort myself, ie right my kayak and clamber back on it,  up on windermere or that type water i had no issues, if i ever did tip i could simply make my way to shore, out at sea is a different kettle of bannana's, i personally did not want to take the chance.

just something to bear in mind mate.:yep:

• Like 2

On 01/03/2021 at 8:41 PM, brainwashedsheeple said:

just to add to this kush, i had to give up my kayak fishing(after many years) due to having fucked discs in my spine, i could handle the paddling on short trips, but it was simply the safety factor for me, if i tipped i do not think i would have been able to sort myself, ie right my kayak and clamber back on it,  up on windermere or that type water i had no issues, if i ever did tip i could simply make my way to shore, out at sea is a different kettle of bannana's, i personally did not want to take the chance.

just something to bear in mind mate.:yep:

Thanks for this and I think I will just keep saving for a boat!! 

I have been out to some of the marks I have spotted on Google Earth and they are awesome and think I will be keeping my feet on dry land for now, some look quite challenging but it looks very Bassy

• Like 2