A bit of fishing nostalgia...

Guest Rex Mundi

Guest Rex Mundi

I do remember these progs, but honestly, I'm a little baffled, I thought these were from my youth in the early 1970's, but they are from 1985... when I was working in the Emirates... how can I remember them???

Whatever, I do enjoy his fishing stuff, I hope you all do too...

btw, I'm not a fisherman now, just thought you lot might be interested.

:smokin:

I restore old fishing tackle.   Call me mad. 

The abu svenghali would have been the bees knees for your travels.

Guest Rex Mundi
3 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I restore old fishing tackle.   Call me mad. 

Errm okay... you're mad... :yep:

4 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

The abu svenghali would have been the bees knees for your travels.

Ah, that baffles me... but sounds very interesting lol

would love you to explain :yep:

One of my favourites is when the brothers fish redmire.  Great fishing video.  Vhs. 

Some of the island stuff is good.

Bernard crippins.

Big bold ballans.

Good stuff.

Guest Rex Mundi
Just now, bartman said:

Who is your OP referring to @Rex Mundi
Is my page missing a link?

No, just my childhood memory :)

My childhood, in Claypole, river Witham, at the old mill site falls, mill falls not used now but still there

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M+G+Arnold+%26+Sons/@53.0224828,-0.7459105,17.6z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x5239fe8cccc991b0!8m2!3d53.0228387!4d-0.7450141

I was around 9 years old, fishing at the mill and I caught a trout... shocked that there were any trout back in the river...

Not a big one, but I took it home and told my mum I wanted to eat my catch... and honestly I remember thinking it was 'polluted'

If anyone here knows how that stretch of the Witham is now, I'd love to know, fond childhood memories.

Guest Rex Mundi
26 minutes ago, bartman said:

Who is your OP referring to @Rex Mundi
Is my page missing a link?

Aha, I see my error,

edit: I chose the chub one becausewhen you drive into Claypole from the A1, you pass over a bridge over the Witham, and in spring/summer I used to look over that bridge to the river, and lots of chub.

I really was a country boy back then... late 1960's.... sigh

Edited by Rex Mundi
  • Like 1

Don't remember him but I do remember watching John Wilson's Go Fishing with my mate Dan in the mid 80s (he was well into fishing, I wasn't really but went with him when he went, I think I only ever managed to catch one fish, a tiny one, don't even know what kind lol never had the patience for it). John Wilson was funny, whenever he got a bite he'd go "Oooooh Wilson." lol

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link @Rex Mundi

That was ace. I remember him vaguely. He [Jack Hargreaves] kinda reminds me of you a bit (minus the Magnus Pyke lol )

Got some of my best child hood memories from fishing (or using night fishing as an excuse to do other shit lol )

Did mainly coarse canal/pond fishing but remember quite a few sea fishing trips on my old fellas mates boat from Amlwch in Anglesey.

Happy Days. :yep:

Cheers man.

Edited by bartman

Jack Hargreaves.....i remember him well, now you have jogged the old memory.(and now i feel sorta above middle aged)

was never fan of wilson, every fish he caught he fuckin started laffin, proper done my head in.

Guest Rex Mundi
On 13/01/2021 at 6:07 PM, bartman said:

Thanks for the link @Rex Mundi

That was ace. I remember him vaguely. He [Jack Hargreaves] kinda reminds me of you a bit (minus the Magnus Pyke lol )

Got some of my best child hood memories from fishing (or using night fishing as an excuse to do other shit lol )

Did mainly coarse canal/pond fishing but remember quite a few sea fishing trips on my old fellas mates boat from Amlwch in Anglesey.

Happy Days. :yep:

Cheers man.

You are most welcome.

But the emboldened bit.... Magnus Pyke... lollol That has got me baffled...

I am happy with the "reminds" bit before, thanks very much for that compliment:thumsup:lol but I don't see any Magnus Pyke in me... please explain, and take the piss as much as you like :) ... ;)

edit: and after all that, I forgot to include what I wanted... most of my fishing was on two rivers only, the Witham and the Trent, and local ponds. That was my childhood.

My favourite was the sea fishing, much later in my life as a working man, The coast off Oman (Indian Ocean) was my favourite experience, with big tuna, dorado, barracuda.. all for the BBQ. :)

Edited by Rex Mundi

17 minutes ago, Rex Mundi said:

That has got me baffled...

Baffled? Kinda sums it up mate really. It’s the mad scientist in ya that’s the giveaway. Not so much the similarity in looks (although there is some resemblance). And those fucking arms. Everywhere lol You did ask. lol Oh and he’s a doctor ;)lol 

(apologies for off topic there admin).

Them’s big fish you caught there @Rex Mundidude. Nice one. :yep:

Guest Rex Mundi
Just now, bartman said:

Baffled? Kinda sums it up mate really.etc

lol thanks for being kind mate :)

1 minute ago, bartman said:

(apologies for off topic there admin).

Me too, sorry admin, sorry... sorry...

Those big fish, well not really monsters, and honestly I was not doing it for sport, they had no chance once hooked, it was for the bbq only, but hey it was fucking good fishing, a trihull boat, two rods out one person steering... sigh... memories of Oman... that is also where I was really introduced to proper hashish... sorry... off topic ;)