Where have all the GPU's gone?

Slippy One

I've been saving for a few months for a new GPU. Saw a few benchmarks and decided on either the 6800 XT or 3070 Ti.

Can't find either for love nor money. I'm guessing the bitcoin miners are at play? I couldn't even find an old RX580 on Scan or Overclockers..

Grr

• Like 3

There were reports that NVIDIA sold $170million  of the 30 series cards directly to bitcoin miners! Scalpers also managed to scoop up a lot of them and they aren't able to manufacture enough of them yet by the looks of things, going to be months before the gpu market settles back down.

• Like 2

Cant mine BTC using GPUS anymore, you need a shit tonne of ASIC miners. maybe monero or litecoin scrypt algorithm. A GPU wouldnt even compare to an ASIC miner. BTC hashrate is over 130 Exa hashes a second

Still holding onto my 1 BTC

• Like 5

7 hours ago, sweettooth said:

Cant mine BTC using GPUS anymore, you need a shit tonne of ASIC miners. maybe monero or litecoin scrypt algorithm. A GPU wouldnt even compare to an ASIC miner. BTC hashrate is over 130 Exa hashes a second

Still holding onto my 1 BTC

They are still used, not as much as ASIC but they are, especially for miners that switch between mining for various alt coins too. Was a pretty reliable article that made the claim re the sale to miners.

I have a tiny fraction of a btc left, sold them all when they went up to £50 years ago, had bought them for 1-2quid, was desperate for the cash and thought I had done really well. Needles to say its a sore topic these days as could have bought a very nice house if I'd held onto half of them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, btk1977 said:

I have a tiny fraction of a btc left, sold them all when they went up to £50 years ago, had bought them for 1-2quid, was desperate for the cash and thought I had done really well. Needles to say its a sore topic these days as could have bought a very nice house if I'd held onto half of them.

Kind of the same story here if I kept all the BTC I had from way back I'd have about £21,000,000 today

Still did alright just not as well as I could have.

• Like 1

Just now, NezA said:

Kind of the same story here if I kept all the BTC I had from way back I'd have about £21,000,000 today

Still did alright just not as well as I could have.

The only nice surprise was I had an email off localbitcoins on an old email address I pretty much never check to say there'd been repeated log in attempts with incorrect passwords. Logged on and turned out the fraction of a bitcoin that had been left in there after an old silk road purchase (a sign of how long ago lol ) was worth £800, it was last time they were around £15k each, sold the bulk as was desperate for cash at the time and the market had crashed down to £3k, one of rare times my timing has been decent!

Really wanted to buy some last time they went underr £10k, but as always never have spare cash when they are relatively affordable.

• Like 3

Just read in CustomPC that the nvidia 3070 is slightly better than the radeon 6800 but there's not much in it, its also been reported that the 3070's are scarce on the etailer sites.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

5 months later and still no sign of anything even resembling a decent GPU. I saw an old refurb 2080 Ti on Scan just now, for £1200, which is about £800 overpriced. 

FML