Cheap UK420 Laptop

growinggold

Hello all,

Looking for cheap laptop to do my uk420 Shi on. Photo editing very basic and photo storage mainly, not looking to spend much £200? Is this possible? I'm technical so could install a OS ect. 

Thought I'd see if others have a solution ?

Thanks

GG

Have a look at the refurbed one's on the auction sites mate if it's only for that kind of thing, if it's got no OS installation is better because a lot of the new laptops are packaged with loads of bloatware that just bogs them down.

• Like 4

My local Computer repairs shop sells on refurbished laptops. I see specs of 4/8gb Ram and 500Gb hard drive and operating system from £150-£200.  Maybe start with your local shop? Better service, warranty and helping out a small business in these very trying times.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, unity said:

If all you want is a browser, you could just use a tablet?

I'm not a fan of tablets really but I'll say one thing if you just want to quickly go online they are excellent , my old laptop takes ages to boot up

and get ready to do anything

• Like 2

safari browser amongst others come complete with built in vpn ..even new firefox has https as standard ..

• Like 2

Hi @growinggold

I use a tablet for browsing which is great, but I do sometimes have a problem posting with it, a few glitches in the text editor

It may just be me or my tablet :)

Managed to get a laptop with no charger or HDD for free and am using an old HDD, variable Voltage charger and Lubuntu with Gimp,  (cheers Vince)

makes typing and posting much easier for me.

Atb :oldtoker:

• Like 2

I bought an old HP Probook G5 £120 and hacked OS X on it. You can’t beat OS X for photo and video editing. Failing that, Linux distros work well on older laptops, with added bonus of legit free software :yep: 

Some of the older models with Intel i5/7s have hard disk drives that can be switched out easily for an SSD with a massive performance boost.
240gb SSD £34, 8gb RAM £35, HP 450 Probook £135, right in your price range and will last you for years ;)

Happy to help if you need any help with tinkering under the hood.

Agree totally what everyone’s saying about VPNs, just don’t use US servers for torrenting or you’ll get an email from your vpn company :D

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone, finally got round to securing a cheap thinkpad l460 off eBay. Set me back £150 which I thought was decent enough. Thanks @Exhale  and @vince noir rock n roll star, @Clumsy and @Flamedodger

Done some ground work and installed Linux Ubuntu. Managed to also get nordvpn working great. Also got gimp installed which is great top. However when I've tried upload some pics on here using Firefox it never works. Any ideas why?   Do you recommend other browsers? Also is there any batch image resizer people use for here?  

Also is there any other Ubuntu software people recommend? 

Edited by growinggold
Tags