Blue Marine Foundation

Flamedodger

Any of you who fish in Lyme Bay will know how good this conservation project has been. I little bit of hope amongst the gloom :yep:

• Like 2

Thanks for that, that was a really good watch, there are glimmers of hope. The frustrating thing is we know what we need to do, the solutions are generally pretty simple, but there are so many vested interests in keeping the status quo that its way more of a fight than it should have to be.

This video is worth a watch, its very similar but about the land side of things, John Liu started out as a camera man and was so horrified by what was once lush productive hills in an area of CHina that he ended up dedicating his life to re greening deserts and huge success in that part of China and he's trying to get it happening on a much wider scale. Well worth a watch for anyone interested in conservation, as you say its refreshing to see projects that are actually happening and working on a decent scale, hope is something sorely missing these days.

Edited by btk1977
embedding video properly

@btk1977I’ve rubbed shoulders with some of the guys in the video and they are genuinely happy. It didn’t say on the film, but they tag the fish caught in Lyme Bay as sustainable and it makes top dollar in the swanky restaurants. I fish all along the Lyme Bay reserve and whilst they still call it the beach of broken dreams lol it beats the days when you had to pull your lines in as the scallop boats were so close to the beach :wallbash:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flamedodger said:

@btk1977I’ve rubbed shoulders with some of the guys in the video and they are genuinely happy. It didn’t say on the film, but they tag the fish caught in Lyme Bay as sustainable and it makes top dollar in the swanky restaurants. I fish all along the Lyme Bay reserve and whilst they still call it the beach of broken dreams lol it beats the days when you had to pull your lines in as the scallop boats were so close to the beach :wallbash:

That's really cool, goes to show environmentalism isn't or at least doesn't have to be the enemy to fishing/farming, it is possible to extract in a way that gives some breathing space to the environment and we all benefit in the mid to long term,.

16 hours ago, btk1977 said:

That's really cool, goes to show environmentalism isn't or at least doesn't have to be the enemy to fishing/farming, it is possible to extract in a way that gives some breathing space to the environment and we all benefit in the mid to long term,.

Yea, I’m building a wormery and compost heap at home and going no till apart from a couple of DWCs for my tomatoes. Shall be brewing lots of compost teas for the garden next year :yep:

• Like 1