Perch fishing

Scroger Moore

Anyone else into their perch fishing? For me, there's no greater sight than a big perch. I like how they are not part of the carp world i.e. they're left alone, not named like pets, a lot of people dont target them like carp. For me, a 3lb perch would be better than any 30lb carp.

I've always fished for them with prawn or worm but getting into my soft plastic shads and ned rigs etc lately, great fun.

• Like 4

Fjnnkly enough i was spinning a local.canal for them with a small mepps the other day.

was meant to be at work so only did an hour or so...

Caught a few branches and bushes but no perch lol

You gotta be in it to win it!!

• Like 2

ive done a bit of perching in the past never big ones . under 2lbs my biggest was freelined worm on a tiny river it was over 1.5 lbs but under 2 

i cannot offer any insight into catching big ones . gravel pits can hold large stocks of big fish . i hope you get what you want .

i love the sight of a gnarly perch banging its head from side to side as its reeled in , tight lines fella 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

We have Yellow Perch here in the US, but I think they're a bit different than what I'm seeing images of for UK Perch.  Our freshwater Perch are seemingly smaller.  The record for a Yellow Perch in the states is 4lb 3oz and that's a standing record from the late 1800s, I believe. 

We classify them as "pan fish"- they're lumped in with Black Crappie, White Crappie, and all the various freshwater Bream we have ( Red Breast, Shell Cracker, Blue Gill, Pumpkin Seed etc, Colloquially).

Y'all mention live bait.  Is it common place to fish for Perch in the UK with lures?  

You can SLAY the panfish here with a "Beetle Spin" or a "Rooster Tail."  They love anything that's size appropriate with a spinning blade.  They are ASSHOLES.  

Freshwater Pan Fish (Bream) are my absolute favorite to catch and eat.  Easily the most aggressive fish, pound for pound, in my experience.

A half-pound Shell Cracker or Bluegill (Bream) on a 7' ultralite rod and spinning reel is SO MUCH FUN.  It'll have you thinking Moby Dick is on the other end of the line.

• Like 1

Yeah, Perch love a lure, either small soft plastics or metal spinners. 

I've done loads of ultralight fishing for Perch. :)

A small dead or livebait is my choice for a big Perch though, or a Lobworm.. (Nightcrawler in American.)

They love to eat Craws too. 

Edited by Captain Bonglington
  • Like 4

@Captain Bonglington  Ultralight is the way!  Total riot of a time. I've haven't wet a hook in quite some time.  I need to get back on it. 

Very familiar with the nightcrawlers.  Common place over here, too. A live worm will catch anything, predatory or scavenger, around my part of the world. We also use crickets.  A lot.  They fucking love crickets.  

• Like 3