Amsterdam by Train

schmoak

First direct train from Amsterdam to London departed

The first Eurostar direct train from Amsterdam to London departed from the Dutch capital at 7:47 a.m. on Monday morning. The route has just three stops in-between the two capitals, with passengers allowed to board at Rotterdam Centraal, Brussels-Midi/Zuid, and Lille.

The train was empty, however, as negative travel advice applies to both the Netherlands and the United Kingdom due to the coronavirus, NU.nl reports. The negative travel advice means that only absolutely necessary travel is allowed.

The ongoing health crisis also meant that there were no festivities around the departure of the first train, a Eurostar spokesperson confirmed to the news outlet.

The train trip from Amsterdam to London is an hour shorter than the non-direct train, in which the train had to go through border control in Brussels. Passport checks now happen in Amsterdam and Rotterdam. The trip from Amsterdam to London was expected to take just over four hours. From Rotterdam, the trip is 3.5 hours.

Monday's service was scheduled to be 4 hours and 28 minutes in duration. One-way ticket prices start at 46 euros for second class, and about 125 euros for first class. The upgrade includes station lounge access before departure, and on the train passengers will get more spacious seating, a free meal or snack and free drinks.

The direct train service was initially set to launch in December last year, but that was delayed as passport checks weren't ready in time. The launch date was then scheduled for April, but it was postponed to October due to the pandemic.  hash.png

https://nltimes.nl/2020/10/26/first-direct-train-amsterdam-london-departed

Edited by schmoak
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

The first time I went to Amsterdam by Train was in 1996 & I had to get 4 trains, starting in Glasgow, pished by Newcastle & nearly got the nick twice  lol

Edited by Joint hogger
  • Like 5

It's maybe an idea to be running into the station at one minute to boarding .If you're sitting at the platform ,waiting for a Eurostar, expect the approach of an overfriendly dog who'll smother you with cuddles . Then a stern looking man will ask you for your passport ,a few more men will surround you and explain the breed of animal ,a narcotics dog . 

• Like 1

Guest theokoles

hmm thats really cool if you live in London but it would take me about 4 hours on the train to London then another 4 plus hours to Dam.. pissing shame as i hate flying but it's only an hout to Leeds Bradford and only an hour from there to Dam... 

Once went to Dam on a coach from Bruges via Lille 8 hours, never again, was'nt by choice, i got banned from P and O ferries  on route to Bruges, no sleep in the brig right next to the ships fking engines lol

So had to fly back, so  thought fuck it whist in Bruges may as well make the most of it and go to Dam and fly back from Schipol  lol  

Edited by theokoles

• 2 months later...

No one give a  Firkin F**k anymore now that the mayors are getting snooty toward red-light booty, what's your tooty or flowers fruity.:skin_up:

• Like 1