Making a standardised 1:1 medicinal tincture?

Jango White

Good afternoon all,

I've been reading your excellent forum for a while now and have something I'd like to run by you...

I'm wanting to make a standardised canna tincture containing a 1:1 ratio of THC to CBD for medicinal use/experimentation. 

I'm not averse to a bit of chemistry - I'm an avid hobby chemist.

I distill my own ethanol so want to use this. I can produce up to about 88% with a pot still (I don't have a thumper keg).

Got into doing 4 pot grows during lockdown (for the benefit of my mental health, growing is good for that I find) using an XL Wilma setup (top fed drip irritation) that has been modified by cutting holes out under the pots and adding four air stones (bubbleponics I guess). The plants are grown in clay pebbles inside airports as I had them handy at the time.

I'm thinking of growing at l least one or two CBD rich strains and am wondering, what is the best way to isolate CBD (and then THC) for dissolving into alcohol?

Might go with alcohol extraction (and then boiling or evaporating off the alcohol) as I imagine this is the most food safe.

But to get the tincture to be standardised, I'd need to ideally know that the extracted oil would be 90%+ pure for accurate apportioning. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks in advance,

Jango.

• Like 1

As an avid chemist you probably want to look into a fractional distillation setup if you're serious. I'm unsure of the specifics but various cannabinoids and terpenes have different evaporation points meaning with a proper setup you can target and isolate specific canabinoids as your distillate. 

It was something I looked into a long time ago but didn't end up pulling the trigger. There's some fantastic videos on youtube.

• Like 1

Personally, I would grow a weed that is 1:1 already. There are a few. There’s a cheese one around somewhere, illl find it for you. And then simply extract in the same way. You’ll have a 1:1 tincture (or close)

• Like 2

isn't harlequin 1:1 ratio ? actually i checked and its not..
Cannatonic is though it seems

Edited by vape_ninja
  • Like 1

On 22/09/2020 at 1:07 AM, Whatwentwrong said:

Here mate, Seedsman’s cream and cheese strain is 22% thc and 18% cbd.

Seedsman is listed in the breeders help desk so hopefully it’s ok to link to their site. Surely just making a normal tincture/extraction with this would give you a 1:1 (ish) final product.

https://www.seedsman.com/en/cream-cheese-cbd-feminised-seeds

I grew that (and Critical Mass CBD) out on my last grow - just starting on the Cream and Cheese last night after a jar cure. No idea what the actual CBD/THC ratios or levels are for the ones in my jars, but I am enjoying them both very much!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iShouldCoCo said:

I grew that (and Critical Mass CBD) out on my last grow - just starting on the Cream and Cheese last night after a jar cure. No idea what the actual CBD/THC ratios or levels are for the ones in my jars, but I am enjoying them both very much!

what’s the affect like, proper couch lock/sleeper 

• Like 1

I've got some OG Kush CBD from Dinafem in at the moment that's a 1:1 but Dinafem have closed for now at least. You might be able to get some from a seed bank though.

• Like 1

I've just started some Critical Mass seeds from CBD Crew and they claim 5% THC 5% CBD...this will be meds for the mrs MS, let's hope it helps...

• Like 5

On 30/09/2020 at 9:10 PM, Whatwentwrong said:

what’s the affect like, proper couch lock/sleeper 

For me it's an evening affair for sure. It makes me sleepy. The Critical Mass CBD slightly less so but they both have a herby/piney/peppery terp profile, with the Cream and Cheese having louder skunky vibe. I haven't really noticed a big difference in potency but I haven't been very scientific with my tasting/testing sessions.

With both these 1:1 strains, I feel about 10 mins of stone and then it mellows off rapidly to a plateau of calm for an hour or two. So you can power through the stone and stay up or have it just before bed to help you sleep. I have got out of the habit of being stoned in the day, but recently started vaping CBD only flowers and hash which helps. I do enjoy getting stoned again now after almost a year of being a little bit scared of THC!

• Like 1

Using the technique same as what is used in Jeffs youtube to extract. Had a go at a tincture using both Cheese and Nordle few years back now but it didn’t quite hit the spot.
Then tried again with Cannatonic on its own and that worked lots  better for me. It wasn’t lab tested in anyway but I was pretty sure that it was close to 1:1 as I get prescribed Sativex and used this as a bench mark comparison (as that is lab tested at 1:1).

I plan to have another go at tincture making soon but instead of oil extraction using rosin instead. It will be interesting to hear what strains folks have found close to 1:1 more recently.

• Like 2

On 02/10/2020 at 1:52 AM, bartman said:

Using the technique same as what is used in Jeffs youtube to extract. Had a go at a tincture using both Cheese and Nordle few years back now but it didn’t quite hit the spot.
Then tried again with Cannatonic on its own and that worked lots  better for me. It wasn’t lab tested in anyway but I was pretty sure that it was close to 1:1 as I get prescribed Sativex and used this as a bench mark comparison (as that is lab tested at 1:1).

I plan to have another go at tincture making soon but instead of oil extraction using rosin instead. It will be interesting to hear what strains folks have found close to 1:1 more recently.

Yeah I 've got no point of reference really, apart from how 'Racy' it feels... I was most impressed by the Critical Mass CBD in the flowering room, scrogged really well, produced plenty, DIDN'T GET BUDROT! :) Out of the two 1:1 I just grew out, I'd probably grow that

Am I right in thinking that most breeders of feminised seeds these days use silver to induce male flowers that only contain the dna from the female? As in, the sample tested by breeders will likely be the same as the feminised offspring? Like a clone? If that's the case we should be good!

Also, I don't know if the % is really important? It just means the % of the sample, so if they send a leafier bud or one with trichs that got knocked off in transport, it'll have lower percentage. It's the ratio I'm interested in, and the terps of course. I want a kushy one next :D

• Like 1