Sea Trout.

Guest icki

Just ordered a couple of fly rods and reels fancy a go at these this year.

Will use the fly rod for the Bass to.:D

Any tips appreciated,a fella in the club uses a surface float and reels the fly in with that and catches.He is crap with the fly rod apparently.lol

John thomas lol

I thought sea trout are mainly caught on the darkest of nights in the uk?

I dunno but best of luck youve certainly picked a challenging species to target!!

Tight lines

• Like 1

Know nothing about catching them but had one baked in foil in the oven once: one of the tastiest fishes I’ve ever had. Good luck catching one, looks tricky. :)

• Like 1

Not sure about UK but in my part of the world they are best caught in the estuary when the whitebait run. They will congregate in the river mouths and smash the little running bait fish. Great fun on fly! 

• 4 months later...

Summer nights...June...July....yel be surprised how small a fly they will take.

Surface wake lures can be good.

Best advice I can give you is don't start too early....wait until all the light is gone.

You sometimes get them through the day when salmon fishing....I had 3 this year while salmon fishing.

Very challenging species to tackle....but a 4 or 5 lb er on the fly in the dark is something else.

• Like 2

Check out a couple of second hand bookstores.  Just about anything written by hugh falkus will be a treasure trove of information.  He is the grand daddy of modern sea trout fishing.

• Like 1