Does hydro vs organic affect the CBD when making butter.

WeedSurfer

I'm on my second grow of a CBD plant (Dinafem CBD Plus) to use to make butter for my mum's arthritis. Up till now I've grown organic using BioBizz All mix along with Grow, Bloom and Top-Max.

I usually grow THC strains for myself in Coco using Canna nutes.

The question is does organic vs hydro affect the quality of the CBD in any way (bearing in mind I'll be using the buds to make CBD butter and not smoking it)? For some reason I had it in my head that if I was growing CBD for medicinal use it would have to be organic but not sure if this is true. I'd rather use hydro as it'd suit my setup better.

• Like 2

That’s a tough one. I know from experience organic weed tastes better, smoked better. Mentally makes me feel better. How much of that is in the head... well my home grown tomatoes taste lot better than hot house chemically grown ones.  But is the chemical make different? Does one contain more anti oxidants for example. I’m pretty sure if you google that you wil; find the answer is yes. Organic food has a better nutrient profile. 
so to your point, then yes I think it will be better organically....but I’m also sUte that it’s marginal gains at this point, and the most important is to get the grow up down and processed. Good luck  

• Like 1

Yeah, I've spent ages googling for the answer but can't seem to come across the exact one I'm after which put another way could be: Does cannabutter using hydro weed that has been grown light on nutes and flushed properly contain more toxins than organically grown weed. Surely the CBD itself would be the same as it must have a specific chemical makeup.

this is how i see it

if you grow hydro and keep nutes in check don't have high EC and flush for 5-7 days i reckon it's cleaner using salt nutes

on the other hand

inn soil you still have heavy metals but can't flush

and when it comes to cbd good luck in soil hydro if we talking those like CBD= from dinafem,they are cracking plants but indoors they are very fussy and delicate,in my experience they don't even like full light like THC plants,yield is noticible less too but as said growing cbd myself and love it just it is a bit different.

@WeedSurfer

remember when decarbing CBD it needs a bit longer and higher temperatures

4 hours ago, joba said:

this is how i see it

if you grow hydro and keep nutes in check don't have high EC and flush for 5-7 days i reckon it's cleaner using salt nutes

on the other hand

and when it comes to cbd good luck in soil hydro if we talking those like CBD= from dinafem,they are cracking plants but indoors they are very fussy and delicate,in my experience they don't even like full light like THC plants,yield is noticible less too but as said growing cbd myself and love it just it is a bit different.

@WeedSurfer

remember when decarbing CBD it needs a bit longer and higher temperatures

Hydro it is then on my next grow. Nice one

• Like 1

@WeedSurfer

have you tried taking any cuttings? even when you rooted you have to open the bag/lid in stages otherwise leafs will just drop in minutes,it is very fussy even regarding light,found it best perferms on the side of the grow,lighter feeds.Lets say I feed my kush Ec 1.8 CBD will want ideally 1.4-1.6

the oil has very distinctive flavour reminds me of roasted coffe beans

when decarbing those co2 bubbles are tiny so watch out for full decarbolization,couple of years ago when they 1st came out i had it tested and 45% CBD was in that oil

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joba said:

@WeedSurfer

have you tried taking any cuttings? even when you rooted you have to open the bag/lid in stages otherwise leafs will just drop in minutes,it is very fussy even regarding light,found it best perferms on the side of the grow,lighter feeds.Lets say I feed my kush Ec 1.8 CBD will want ideally 1.4-1.6

the oil has very distinctive flavour reminds me of roasted coffe beans

when decarbing those co2 bubbles are tiny so watch out for full decarbolization,couple of years ago when they 1st came out i had it tested and 45% CBD was in that oil

Yeah I take a cutting a couple of weeks before flipping and do that continuously as I'm only growing one CBD plant. Not had any problems with that so far except that they grow bloody slow in compost compared to what I'm used to in coco. I've not made any oil, just butter, as I don't want to use any chemical solvents like IPA.

What do you mean 'co2 bubbles'? I decarb before making the butter by just cooking the grinded bud in the oven on about 120C for 40 mins and turning it over a couple of times.

i make oil with 95% ethanol and decarbing after the oil is done not before,that's the best way as you can visually see it-those co2 bubbles when they stop forming you are done (just before they stop actually)

I have found CBD is better to grow from seed each time rather than cutting,it is more vigorous that way

• Like 1

On 21/08/2020 at 2:36 PM, joba said:

on the other hand

As I understand it, that's only if your compost was sourced from municipal solid waste (MSWC), wastewater biosolids (WBC) and co-composted municipal solid waste . Whilst I've not tested my current compost it's unlikely to have dangerous levels ime. 

:bong:

• Like 1