U.K. grain alcohol

Cal2020

• 1 month later...
On 01/08/2020 at 5:30 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Isopropyl alcohol you can find it on a well know auction site.

Don't go drinking it and mixing it with orange juice or any thing.

But for making Rick Simpsons oil it is perfect.

I buy mine by the 25litre container.

But I use it for cleaning and a few things in the garage as well.

Isopropyl alcohol is poisonous and we are relying upon the process to remove all traces of it from the final product. I would rather use ethanol / drinking alcohol knowing that even if I don’t remove it properly, my final product can’t be poisonous.

• Like 6

• 2 years later...

Distill your own with an Air Still? Cheaper than buying for nearly £30 a bottle in the long run. Might only get 80% ABV, but that's good enough for most purposes. Be careful to dispose of 'fore shots', mostly methanol and esters. Rest should be fine. If you triple distill you'll get a pretty clean product.

N.B.:- Home distilling of alcohol is illegal, but then so is possession and especially cultivation of cannabis...

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 2

Ffs I never knew iso was poisonous! Knew you had to purge well, and it wouldn’t be great, never thought poisonous though!

1 hour ago, Personunknown said:

Reflux still would get a higher % Atb:stoned:

Sure, but but something like the T500 costs about four times as much as an Air Still. Also complicated by need for plumbing for the cooling water.

There is a new air still "reflux" model which apparently can get higher % ABV, but again extra expense.

• Like 1