Want help cutting down\stopping cannabis usage?

mrrichiet

Hi all.

I'm sticking my head above the parapet with this post as I know what the conventional wisdom is around these parts (indeed I have previously added to that myself e.g.  http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/381252-addicted/&do=findComment&comment=4785183); hopefully I won't regret it. I will preface it though by saying I acknowledge that cannabis is generally beneficial (particularly for some medical conditions) and that the majority of users are able to use responsibly and in moderation. 

With that said, if you are in the group that struggle to control your cannabis intake and you'd like some help, there are a couple of subreddits that I think may help. 

r/leaves - is for those who want to completely abstain from cannabis. The sub is quite anti cannabis as its members are generally those people who have failed to control their usage and therefore they are quite zealous in their view that cannabis is not, on balance, beneficial and that it is addictive. It's worth a lurk IMO (it's helping me I'll admit - I'm on my 7th weed free day (28 year heavy toker), something I've never managed before when I have weed in the house).

r/petioles - is for those want to control\moderate their usage. The posts here are pro-cannabis but there's an acknowledgment that some people need a little support to help them moderate their usage.

I don't intend for this post to start a debate about the 'addictiveness' (or not) of cannabis. For the sake of argument though I'll state that the established, medical view (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5)) these days has classified it as Cannabis Use Disorder (carefully chosen wording i.e. not abuse and not a disease). I just think these are useful resources and I felt I should share with the community as I'm sure there are members here like me who also struggle to moderate . It's good to view things from opposite perspectives rather than being puritanical (which I have been all of my life towards cannabis) so perhaps it's worth a browse even if you are adamant there isn't a problem. 

I hope you all have a great day, much love!

P.S. If this strikes a chord with anyone and you feel like a chat please feel free to PM me - it's good to talk!

• Like 15

I like this. Nice to be able to have a rational conversation about both sides of a situation. 

Sadly, there's a lot of zeal in the people who are pro too. I love cannabis, but I'm willing to hear people out about their perspectives without going down the "cannabis is the answer to all the worlds problems and if you don't agree I will keyboard warrior the fuck out of you" route. Those people are comparable to vegans lol 

I hope this is a productive thread. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Nervous said:

I hope this is a productive thread. 

Thanks for the positive response :)

TBH I'm not expecting it to be a productive thread. There's not really a discussion to be had (not here anyway) as everyone has their own entrenched views on the matter. 

I find r/leaves the most useful. Whenever I feel a craving I just read the New posts (there are always a few) and that puts my mindset back to the correct place. One thing that people will take away from there is that others understand the struggle is real and often very hard. Just because it's not really physically addictive, the mental battle to abstain is a great one and having people around who understand this is very helpful. It is also inspiring to hear so many people say that once they've quit life is so much better. It's convinced me that I need to try living without THC for a while so that I see what things are like on the other side. At least after that I'll be able to make a properly informed decision about whether to indulge or not. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrrichiet said:

(not here anyway)

Perhaps not, but it'll certainly send some people to those pages if they need them. 

That's a good way to think about it. I try to have a year off every now and again (on hiatus for a few months as of recently) to see if my anxiety is are more manageable as things change over the years. The current situation isn't helping needless to say.

All the best mate.  

• Like 2

I require breaks. I mask a condition, so it's a balancing act, but still... no denying I'm more balanced with breaks, and over all that's more comfortable.

...Mebbe I'm wrong, but the notion that a drug can be misused isn't all that controversial....It's also true that there's zealots around, though, in any perceived group.

That being said, have either of you actually sat down with the DSM - V?. Not one one us isn't covered by it, multiple times, not matter how sane.... myself, I think it's gone a bit far. That funding model they have over there springs to mind - kerching!

• Like 1

I've gone from "needing" to smoke all day everyday too having a vape when the mood takes me..

It didn't happen overnight, it was a gradual thing.

Kinda coincided with me giving up alcohol funny enough..

Dunno why how/why really, it just kinda happened.

Not terribly helpful I know but its only 2p

• Like 4

5 hours ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

That being said, have either of you actually sat down with the DSM - V?

No I haven't. Your point is valid and I agree with it. My main reason for adding that (part of it was to potentially 'cut people off at the pass' I will say) was that bit about it not being abuse and it was simply a disorder. Basically ameliorating my audience lol 

Thanks for your response, I wish you well. 

@Dodgee Alcohol is so bad I'm not surprised you didn't consider cutting down weed as a big deal. I have a huge respect for the way you battled your demons and shared the journey. To some degree, you inspired this post you should know :notworthy:. As I suggested, I know most people don't think it's a big deal, so my post was targeted at a particular audience. I've written that sentence and realise it sounds defensive - I'm not intending to be  (I know I don't have to be) - I appreciate you adding balance and posting. Do you want to know what I really loved about your post though? You spelt "to" correctly!!! That ain't a pop, I know you acknowledge\know it's not important but one of your recent posts 'chafed'* me (your random approach had failed you badly in a recent post) and I really wanted to say something - you just presented the opportunity so double thanks for your post! :)

* I chose the word 'chafed' cos that was the nicest word I could think of, the thesaurus didn't help, they all sounded 'bad'! Anyone got a better word?! Irked was the other one I thought to use (I'd withnailed loads) but even that sounded bitchy!

• Like 3