Cannabis Capsules

stillo

Good Evening, I hope someone may be able to help me, I have just recently made myself some Cannacaps and for the most part it was pretty successful. However I seem to run into a little problem and I don't know what it is and I hope some kind person may be able to give me an answer.

I made Cannacaps with coconut oil, sunflower lecithin and of course 7 g of the carboxylate it cannabis, I followed the instructions explicitly I Dcarboxylated. the cannabis for 45 minutes and sorry I can't remember what temperature I then infused the coconut oil and the cannabis for five hours again at the correct temperature I cannot recall what it was as I was working from paper due to my sight problem.i did use a sous vide method

I purchased some size 000 Gel Capsules and a capsule making machine, I allowed the infused coconut oil to cool down to it was nearly at the point of re-solidifying and I filled withl the capsules leaving a little space to enable me to put the second half of the capsule on,  I did not spill any liquid and I squeezed the capsules together once they werevene filled and I put them aside, now the problem. It's the capsules seem to be disintegrating with the oil and the contents of the capsules even though they have solidified and now not in side any Capsule.

Do I need to purchase a certain type of gel capsule or do I need to infuse some other type of oil it seems that the oil inside the capsule is what is causing the problem. I can understand if it is as when I put a capsule inside my mouth. My saliva disintegrates. The capsule, so it really seems pointless, making them.

I would be grateful if someone could please let me know the best way to proceed with making, Can nacaps and preventing them from disintegrating with the oil.

Take care.

Stillo

Guest icki

I normally leave the oil neat in a syringe.Then when required into the caps you speak of.

But they dont dissolve that quick in my mouth either.Where do you store the caps.

Switch your oil to something that doesn't solidify

this guide will see you right

The oil pictured here could be out of stock, pick wisely on another choice. Some have very bad reviews and are not clear in colour.

The qetomax london stuff is working for me right now

Edited by highcontrast
  • Like 2

Good Evening All.

Thank you very much for the responses. I'm sorry it took so long for me to reply but I have been very busy today, it would seem that I have made a mistake by filling 100 capsules all in one go. Instead of as and when needed, I suppose that is why gel capsules are disintegrating, I keep them in the fridge. But even if I didn't due to me using coconut oil, they would still solidify.

I'm going to attempt to do as instructed by using an oil that does not solidify and only make what I need when I need them, I am extremely grateful for your responses. Thank you very much.

Take care.

Stillo

I have capsules I made a couple of months back that are still holding up.

I would definitely try 00 capsules as opposed to the 000 which are very small and fiddly and won't hold a great deal of oil. I found if you infuse into 1/2 cup of oil, it will fill 100 00 caps with a small amount left over.

if you get too much liquid on the outside of the caps when filling,   they will start to break down too. 

@Dirkdiggler uses the vegetarian capsules with no issue, I believe the gelatin caps are slightly more robust, so I'd try them too unless you're a strict veggie/vegan.

• Like 2

I used coconut oil and standard gelatin caps 00.

None disintegrated in any way.  

They were kept in the fridge..

I know that doesn't really help but it leads me too think there is something else at play rather than your choice of carrier oil..

Way your isolate completely free of solvent before use?

• Like 3

000 are the biggest size capsule, not that size should make any difference on how they hold up, I make size 00 through to size 5 depending on the dosage needed. Also it seems coconut oil was used for infusion and not solvent so there won’t be any residual melting the capsules.

It could just be that there’s some of the mixture escaping somehow, making it look like the caps are disintegrating? I always go through the pile of caps after sealing each capsule and wipe them down with kitchen roll, this helps keep everything clean once put them in a container. 

Sorry we cant help much really, do you have a pic of the issue?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PureSmkr said:

000 are the biggest size capsule, not that size should make any difference on how they hold up, I make size 00 through to size 5 depending on the dosage needed. Also it seems coconut oil was used for infusion and not solvent so there won’t be any residual melting the capsules.

It could just be that there’s some of the mixture escaping somehow, making it look like the caps are disintegrating? I always go through the pile of caps after sealing each capsule and wipe them down with kitchen roll, this helps keep everything clean once put them in a container. 

Sorry we cant help much really, do you have a pic of the issue?

My bad, 000 are bigger not smaller doh! lol

• Like 2

I dont always make caps, i sometimes just leave in a jar and dose straight from jar. But dosing gets a little messy without them.

As a side note too, ive had some potent strains that i have run for 3 hours in a slow cooker, replaced the oil and run for another 3 hours. 

The second batch has been a slightly milder dose perfect for the days. 

Squeezing the remainder oil out the bud is tricky too, a lemon squeezer is my go too but im still leaving alot of oil in the bud

does anyone do anything with the left other bud? 

• Like 1

thank you all very much for your fantastic advice. The only thing I can think is, I must of got some oil on the capsules as I was making them, but I was pretty sure I wiped them all clean, don't get me wrong, they're not completely falling apart, but they are extremely soft and I have had a couple where one at the capsule is completely disappeared, I shall try better next time, as shall try a carrier oil that does not solidify at room temperature. the one thing I can say is that the capsules have seriously helped with my insomnia not so much the pain but the insomnia that I have suffered from for years is virtually disappeared, long may it continue

Take care.

Stillo

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

1) change brand and source of your capsule. This should not happen with Gelatin capsules. 

2) once capsules are made store in deep freezer or atleast fridge.

• Like 1

not quite sure what the issue is..butt :)

Coconut oil in the fridge will see the meds inside the cap to get hard enough to be able to use as a suppository. It's quick and doesn't have to go far..just in... :)

Melts fast,even cold it's kinda :eek: for a few seconds..

BUTT ..........ya don't get high!! :)

Had an Air Canada Pilot taking a gram a day (sups)with no high............. the first week.

Eating it would have put him on his ass until he got up to speed with a higher dose..

00 caps are 1000 mg....  makes dosing easier.

I haven't had any issue using Veggy or Gelatin cap.... 

if the oil is not purged properly..Any Left over Alcohol can indeed destroy caps..

• Like 1