CBD Oil dose rates

noddy

Hi all ok i have been using cbd isolate 99.9% pure and dissolving in 50ml of oil for a 20mg dose per ml of oil so i was told .

Now the questions start i have dinamed cbd bud classed as 14% cbd i will dry in 1oz batches now if i mix this to oil what rates do i need to get a same dose rate as the isolate .

On the jeff420 calculator i used it said if i use 4 tbsp of oil to 1 oz of bud i will get 50ml of 1975mg  i am thinking that is roughly double the strength so if i used double the oil i thought it would be half the strength but not so so how the hell do i work it down to 1000ml per 50ml of oil strength or should i just make it that strength 1975ml and instead of take 1 ml doses just take a 1/2 ml dose 

thanks all sorry for the long windedness just want to get it right 

thanks

how are you planning to extract the cbd from the buds before you infuse the oil? 

:yinyang:

I did this for a while (making meds) for a mate with a brain tumour so accurate dosage was very important........ so I did a fair bit of research and I now have a system that I think makes sense. It is a bit complicated but I can’t think of another way so this is what I do.

@BilgePump is right, you need to extract the CBD first otherwise how would you know how much cannabinoid you’re starting with. Bud is so hard to guage how strong it is, especially when CBD is involved I reckon.

I don’t bother weighing the bud or believing the breeders % claims, I just use 90+ alcohol at -30C to wash it. Strain it, winterise it and purify it as much as possible, evaporate the alcohol etc to make the oil. Ideally test it but that’s a whole other topic.

I then weigh the raw oil which I now assume to be 75% cannabinoids content. So if I have 10 grams of oil then I can assume there are 7.5 grams of CBD or 7500 milligrams. 

So like in your case, if I want to take doses of 20 mg then I’ll need to take 1/375th of the oil for each dose.

My advised method of consumption is in a size 00 capsule which holds 500mg. So each capsule needs to hold 480g of a carrier oil which is usually coconut oil, and 20g of the CBD oil. So at a ratio of 25:1 coconut oil:cannabis concentrate.

I would therefore decarb the oil in an oil bath and mix 178.5 grams (7.5 x 24) of coconut oil and then stick the whole lot in size 00 capsules and each one would be an accurate 20mg.

My advice though would be to make 50mg capsules, it’s a much more effective starting dose..... if you have enough weed of course.

Sorry, just noticed the second sentence in the third from last paragraph should read “So each capsule needs to hold 480mg .....20mg” (not 480g and 20g that I originally stated)

Another method , and one i favour for extraction would be good old fashioned bubble hash , when running bubble for meds or edibles in general i scale back my set up with the bags using only 4 of the 8 in the set , 220mu/160mu/120mu/25mu .

i sack off everything in the 160 bag because i find its mostly pistils n what not , assess the 120 depending on what strain im running (resin heads vary in size from cultivar to cultivar) and the lion share ends up in the 25 micron bag, this decidedly rustic hash then gets rosin pressed in 36 micron screen at around 80-90c , the subsequent oil is completely solventless so you need not worry about purging off alcohol or butane etc, gives me piece of mind when making medicine knowing its as safe as i can possibly make it 

:yinyang:

On 05/05/2020 at 10:11 PM, noddy said:

Hi all ok i have been using cbd isolate 99.9% pure and dissolving in 50ml of oil for a 20mg dose per ml of oil so i was told .

yes makes sense, 1g (1000mg) of isolate dissolved in 50ml of oil means each ml of oil contains 1/50th of 1000mg which is 20mg

Now the questions start i have dinamed cbd bud classed as 14% cbd i will dry in 1oz batches now if i mix this to oil what rates do i need to get a same dose rate as the isolate .

On the jeff420 calculator i used it said if i use 4 tbsp of oil to 1 oz of bud i will get 50ml of 1975mg

This bit makes me nervous as there are lots of assumptions being made but mainly that by mixing your 1oz of Dinamed CBD Plus you will yield exactly 1975mg of CBD goodness and that the oil you mix it with will extract 100% of the cannabinoid from the bud.

Dinamed claim a range of CBD from 15-20% which is quite a big swing from plant to plant. So your end product will be heavily dependant on strength & quality of material as well as the quality of your hardware & technique of extraction.

Also, 1 tablespoon I think measures about 18ml so 4 tablespoons would be about 70ml. I’m not sure it’s the best measure to use tbh

But yes, if the bud is at 60% RH and if (a big if) it is 14% CBD strength then it should yield approx 2000mg of pure CBD to mix with as much carrier oil as you like but you’ll never know the strength of it for sure unless you test it or make a concentrate first

i am thinking that is roughly double the strength

If your 1oz of bud mixed with oil actually is 1975mg CBD then yes, I agree, it is double strength to what you are used to

so if i used double the oil i thought it would be half the strength

yes I would assume that as well

but not so

why not?

so how the hell do i work it down to 1000ml per 50ml of oil strength or should i just make it that strength 1975ml and instead of take 1 ml doses just take a 1/2 ml dose 

Yes you could just take half doses but if you want to replicate your isolate oil then instead of mixing 1oz of bud with 50 ml of oil, mix it with 100ml as you mentioned earlier. The 1975mg will be the same but it will be suspended in 100ml of oil instead meaning each ml of oil is now 19.75 mg (20mg).

thanks all sorry for the long windedness just want to get it right 

thanks

My apologies Noddy for not really answering your question properly before - half a bottle of wine and 95mg of THC evidently turns me into a self indulgent twat lol

But my thoughts last night were justified, if you want to replicate 20mg doses I would make a concentrate first using QWET cold extraction methods or make RSO so you can make sound assumptions about its cannabinoid content rather than rely on breeders claims :yep:

For example: You might be interested to know that a member on this site who made RSO with his Dinamed CBD Plus and had it sent off to a lab. It came back something like 45% CBD and 3% THC which means that 2.2g of his RSO oil equals 1g of CBD. So if you made Dinamed CBD Plus RSO you could make similar assumptions meaning you would mix 2.2 grams of it to 50ml to replicate your isolate oil to make each ml a pretty accurate 20mg

@Oliffe thank you for giving me the break down it is great when others have a read and think , as i say 2 heads are better than one .

I got my figures by using Jeff420  calculator on his site , i have now got a fair idea now that i will end up with 82ml of oil from the 4 tbsp of oil but i will see but it worked out that i should take a .8ml dose to get a 19.75mg dose .

I am toying with the idea of getting one of the jeff420 little gadget that tells you the strength of your bud or your oil but they are rather pricey for me on the tight budget we have , thank you again for taking the time as i say any help is always welcome for me

stay safe and stay well in these strange times we are living in