Anyone able to manipulate music via the pc ?

OldFord

Hi,  im in need of having a song manipulated in respect of running it through music editing software to change the bass frequencies & centres.

Basically i got my hands on a rare reggae remix but it poorly executed in the editing with a forced bass line thats dirty, over blown and just nasty and i wish to have it cleaned up and the bass line reworked to a specific set of frequencies and centres of attack as this suits my sound systems tuning points.  

I am too old to learn music editing software as its taken me 10yrs to learn how to use the speaker enclosure design software :)    

I also dont fancy replacing countless pc's , laptops or ipads due to being thrown , kicked or nutted when i lose patience trying to make it do something  lol 

Any help greatly appreciated.  

• Like 2

How high quality a job are you looking for, something a bit quick and dirty, or more along the mastering line?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, unity said:

How high quality a job are you looking for, something a bit quick and dirty, or more along the mastering line?

The song itself  as in the music production is fine,  its only the bass ( 20 - 200hz ) thats just poorly executed ,  so ideally cleaning the bass up would be great ,  i could look to have the 4 fundamental bass centre frequencies altered to my chosen frequencies at a later date.   

I wasnt aware how dirty the bass line was until i tried running it through the 21's and nearly killed all 8 of them,  kind of shit me up as they are pretty new :) 

Thanks for your reply,  is music something you produce / master ?    

• Like 2

@OldFord what song is it, I have no idea on editing but would like to hear anyway. Got a pair of Rel T7i's here and some tannoy fronts. They are rather clinical on sound so if shit goes in shit goes out, the rels are very musical subs.

Toke...

• Like 1

Not sure if it meets your criteria, but Audacity is a good, powerful, simple-to-use - and free - bit of music editing software.

Looks like adapting this tutorial (by lowering the bass rather than enhancing it) might work:

https://www.wikihow.com/Adjust-Bass-in-Audacity

Depends on what you are after, the file type you are using, and what you hope to achieve.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, tokenroll said:

@OldFord what song is it, I have no idea on editing but would like to hear anyway. Got a pair of Rel T7i's here and some tannoy fronts. They are rather clinical on sound so if shit goes in shit goes out, the rels are very musical subs.

Toke...

Hi,  cheers for the reply.   Rel's .... now theres a name i have not heard in a while !    I did a quad Rel 10" subwoofer enclosure for a friend some time ago and the slam to your chest was incredible :)   they were very musical, roll on / off was sublime.   

i tested it out on 3 x Crown amps & 6 21" Precision Devices PD2150's ,   they are very very well dialled in and sound immense, the attack is brutal :)       

I then tried it out in the van ,  12 x  12 JBL GTi 12's and it was even worse :(     even rolling off the bass you could still hear the overblown elements and then i shut down.     

I then tested both again on known good material and both are playing just like i designed them to.        

I only want the song as the original has sentimental value.      Let me know how you get on please.   

The song is an old reggae tune, it was remixed and its on youtube -    Tippa Irie  - Get Ready  Remix   

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tony K said:

Not sure if it meets your criteria, but Audacity is a good, powerful, simple-to-use - and free - bit of music editing software.

Looks like adapting this tutorial (by lowering the bass rather than enhancing it) might work:

https://www.wikihow.com/Adjust-Bass-in-Audacity

Depends on what you are after, the file type you are using, and what you hope to achieve.

Hi Tony K ,  thank you very much for the lead sir.    I shall have a look at it and see if it can work for me.    

I have numerous bass and audio processors, even bits from the legendary Bob Carver but none seem to help unless the volumes so low its not worth switching on :( 

Thanks again sir.  

• Like 1

Might be better to find an accapella of it , then get someone rebuild the tune . It will be hard to clean up something so dirty. Do you mean it’s gained up in the master and then produced with this ? If so it will be hard to clean the mix as it’s done already . I take it you know of maestro , blacker and vendor shops ? Maybe try and contact “music house “ they prob had a hand in it somewhere as they master most reggae in uk or used to 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Arthur Mix said:

Might be better to find an accapella of it , then get someone rebuild the tune . It will be hard to clean up something so dirty. Do you mean it’s gained up in the master and then produced with this ? If so it will be hard to clean the mix as it’s done already . I take it you know of maestro , blacker and vendor shops ? Maybe try and contact “music house “ they prob had a hand in it somewhere as they master most reggae in uk or used to 

Hi Arthur Mix,  I have scanned the song on software i use to establish what the levels are and where the frequency band centres are and sadly they are all over the place :( 

This could be due to mastering issues, it could be the combination of 2 tracks overlaid or just the software used to upload it to the tube or a few other reasons sadly. 

It would appear i may be onto a winner as i have found a music producer / mastering technician within my Old Ford group thats more than happy to remaster it and is fully confident that he can fix it easily including moving the centres and setting the bass & levels to my soecs :)     and i struggle to turn the laptop on lol     

I am aware of maestro / blacker thanks.     Thank you for the input and once resolved i shall stick a clean copy back on the tube for others to hear it in HQ.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @OldFord hope you got this sorted 

Only really popped in to say I was a bit envious of all the bass :)

I'm sure you found as I did that the song is off the Divide and Rule album.

There is a very small preview on cede dot com and it does sound a little bit "cleaner" so the upload maybe partly to blame , but I'm certainly no expert. 

ATB :oldtoker:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Clumsy said:

Hi @OldFord hope you got this sorted 

Only really popped in to say I was a bit envious of all the bass :)

I'm sure you found as I did that the song is off the Divide and Rule album.

There is a very small preview on cede dot com and it does sound a little bit "cleaner" so the upload maybe partly to blame , but I'm certainly no expert. 

ATB :oldtoker:

Hi @Clumsy ,   thanks for the reply sir.      the guy has by all accounts got it sorted thanks but not yet had the media back.     He is due to come over in a few wks to collect an engine im building for him and im in no rush for the music.     The album has a slightly different mix as i bought that recently.    

Music without bass just aint music :)     I have been in the audio scene for 30yrs now and still have big love for it !     Currently awaiting some new 24" subwoofers and some crazy high end 15" full range drivers to arrive and cant wait :)      Will get some pics up of the rigs & van once the weather improves and we can get out to play.

• Like 2

Sorry for the bump but just saw the mention of REL subs, Ive still got a REL strata & used to run it through a Denon 5.1 A10SE amp & in my old flat,

the windows used to vibrate if I turned the bass up too much & hate to think what the neighbours felt  lol

• Like 1

Glad you're sorted 

Would love to see some pics :photo: when you're  up and running, roll on summer :)

:oldtoker: