Emulating the cigarette/"joint" model.

Egzoset

Salutations,

Smoking is a process rendered possible by sacrificing tiny vegetal fragments mixed with trichome glands (e.g. shredded dry cannabis flowers), these get destroyed while feeding a fire which exposes to severe self-poisoning contamination from extra-hot toxic exhaust gases.  Such obsolete habit got "démocratized" after the 1880 - 1881 patented invention of James Albert Bonsack who made it economically viable in days when the cost of hand-rolling already proved prohibitive, obviously in absence of healthwise concerns during the conceptual phase as it eventually became a Public Health issue of planetary proportions...  Its only real benefit possibly resided in somewhat improved dosing by virtue of physically limiting parameters;  in comparison one most evident benefit of vaporism is that such sacrifice is totally avoided while it's also free of combustion by-products, which comes both with economical and healthwise advantages.

Smokers depend on a very porous matrix of combustible fibers to irradiate intense energy which partially converts through conductive and convective vectors inside a disposable containment tube:  a cigarette's tip falls off conveniently once it got incandescent-red, while its smoke-collecting tube made of wood fiber & glue (e.g. paper) turned into ashes.  Alternately, in vaporism it's still possible to create an equivalent red-hot aerial/foamy matrix where energy gets similary converted, except there's no combustion (nor related by-products) to deal with at all, simply because there's just NO fire exactly.

N. B.Considering that heat is a manifestation of energy, i'd invite anyone to share knowledge of some other rational explanation, short of quantum entanglement (...), if one happens to believe its displacement can get instantaneous, or just faster than light for that matter.  Consequently, it's quite safe to assume no heat ever moves at infinite speed.

In addition, although bulk-solid Silicon Carbide (SiC) happens to provides excellent thermal conduction it can also behave as an insulator once redistributed as an aerial foamy network;  apparently this new emerging property resides in the massive thermal interconnection of a multitude of air pockets via all 3 heat vectors.  So, i exploited such contrasting material properties in implementing the long forgotten Fig. #11/#12 VaporGenie item patented by Dan Steinberg shortly after the Y2K era, myself designating that core enhancement as Egzoset's "LAVA" Hybrid Core:

large.5c3b14bb09b2b_VaporGenieUS7434584(2008-Oct-14)-Egzosetsfig.11-12supplement480x640.PNG

Doing so didn't just confirm a valid scenario (now a couple decades old!), by splitting the core as a few parts i was also able to move it closer to its workload, with provisions for a manually-controlled "PinHole" capable of dramatically shifting the whole set of dynamics by injecting tiny amounts of fresh air directly into such composite sandwich (juxtaposition) structure:

large.5cbf5d568c115_Egzosets6thYearEditionofCust.VGPipe(2019-Apr-19)400x300.PNGlarge.5dec01ee02c3e_EgzosetsEasy-madeUniv.Split-PathsTwin-CutOn-TopCore-PinHoleSys.(2019-Dec-7)400x300.PNG

large.5c98feab6b45c_EgzosetsFully-CustomizedVGHybridCore(2019-Mar-25)600x300.PNG

large.5ded0155e8e8c_EgzosetsUniversalSplit-PathsOn-TopCore-PinHoleSystems(2019-Dec-8)480x320.PNG

Contrary to the manufacturer's original design this revision doesn't come with a steep "learning curve" nor require users with athletic lungs to acquire expert skills.  Actually even faint inhalation force will suffice to effectively control my pipe's behaviour, because the Hybrid Core is capable of flipping between 2 contrasting states in some "agile" manner offering what i call a "Micro-Bursting" experience based on brief/intense Pulse Heating while transit time gets minimized:  its "Release"/"Transport" agent SAFELY "Potentiated" with extra-hot (H2O + CO2) exhaust gases can pass through a Dry Herb bowl real fast as it's no thicker than ~3 mm...  Hence discriminately targetting tiny features of contact-surfaces, starting with noble molecules collected inside microscopic trichome glands, in opposition to popular long slow/steady (thermostatic) methods resulting in deep penetration of their associated vegetal substrate as well.

Overall my new ritual shares some common features with smoking without its self-vilification factors, not to mention this layout is compatible with further Induction Heat developments.  Nonetheless, after switching to clean-burning butane (using blue torch flames) i finally managed to obtain a similar red-hot spot as that of cigarette tips, except there's no nuisances like ashes being generated anymore.

All this to explain that there can be alternatives to Hot Dry Air Ovenizers as the fancy/expensive Volcano and suite of emulators.  Please feel free to explore my dedicated threads if in need for more details.

Good day, have fun!!  :sorry:

Edited by Egzoset
Read-proofing.
  • Like 3

This looks like it has been google translated back and forth several timers, using 1999 technology.

Either that or I dun got woked up stoopid today loike?

• Like 2

Love the concept @Egzoset 

How do you know the high surface area sic sandwich is up to temp and ready for a draw? (or too hot or too cool)

• Like 1

Perhaps I am a little slow on the uptake @Egzoset but I have never fully followed the design details of your intriguing consumption apparatus.

Yet I think it is the type of thing I am looking for. After many flirtations with commercial electric vaping devices I always return to joints and dabbing with a banger and torch. Though they have their place, these devices are too faffy,  fragile and temperamental for a primary consumption device. I want a simple, satisfying hit with the minimum of equipment.

Do I have the idea correct that you have designed a butane torch powered herb vaping device, along the lines of a Newvape Flowerpot?

Can you please take us through the steps required to elicit a satisfying lungful of vapour from this contraption?

• Like 2

Salutations Hippie on hill,

Salutations Absurdist,

3 hours ago, Hippie on hill said:

Love the concept @Egzoset 

Same here, given the retrospective since 2012 there's no way i could ever risk to regret the purchasing of my 1st Classic mapple VG pipe, despite the fact that i actually gave it away after 1 week!!  It turned into such an involvement for me thereafter, always convinced that Dan Steinberg got quite some potent intuition the day he selected space-age material for his application's core, literally speaking (...):

large.5ea72780bb6da_ERGMaterialsAerospaceCorp.60ppiDuocelSiCfoam360x480.png

The fact that SiC remains chemically inert even at intense red-hot temperatures captured my attention kind of early.

3 hours ago, Hippie on hill said:

How do you know the high surface area sic sandwich is up to temp and ready for a draw? (or too hot or too cool)

A couple years were necessary before i felt satisfied with my transition to a butane torch, then even more Hybrid Core tweaking had to be performed for the whole contraption of features to seem right, including SiC hot-spotting intended as a visual hint about getting sufficient temporarily-trapped energy inside.  Eventually a moment came when i no longer saw any need to fine-tune, especially after the addition of a direct (On-Top) core "PinHole".  These days only a few seconds will do before i must take the flame away, so it's close enough except i must light up again for each new toke, which is a blessing because this also implies no waste ever occurs between 2 inhalations.  Additionally, as explained in my Energy Budget thread of January 20th there's a significant Heat Charge "Packetization" effect, adjusted to match the intended "workload" to that core's temporary retention capacity roughly evaluated as ~100 Joules per puff.

2 hours ago, Absurdist said:

After many flirtations...  ...  ...I want a simple, satisfying hit with the minimum of equipment.

Yes, that's certainly my state of mind as well.  The day it fails for me i'll be back to indefinite abstainance, so lets admit my patent extension for the VG didn't get ready too soon.

Do I have the idea correct that you have designed a butane torch powered herb vaping device, along the lines of a Newvape Flowerpot?

Much more like the Sublimator of Enrico Bouchard, relatively to its 2nd heater phase.  But without a large part of its conduction heat component...

Can you please take us through the steps required to elicit a satisfying lungful of vapour from this contraption?

The ritual ain't as originally conceived by inventor Dan Steinberg anymore, quite obviously i found necessary to provide instructions in replacement instead, over there for example:

Egzoset's Cust. VG Pipe - 6th Year Ed. p2-2 (2019-May-14) [2400x5822]

[ https:// www.flickr.com/photos/egzoset/49729225831/ ]

Edited by Egzoset
  • Like 1

Ah ok so it's storing, diffusing and returning the heat from a direct torch attack as you start heating, draw, stop heating and continue drawing.

I think I've made something similar with glass balls in an 18/18 adapter (like a Lamart Flam) but haven't tried it with a sic disc in there .... yet , altho I did try putting the sic foam disc I got with the G43 for concentrates on the end of my DiY Gs, which worked well so I've got a few different disc sizes on my wishlist for future builds.

Surprised there aren't more vapes with sic foam diffusers inline after the heater or used a heat exchanger around the heater, after my initial tests.

• Like 1

Hi again Hippie on hill,

15 hours ago, Hippie on hill said:

...so it's storing, diffusing and returning the heat from a direct torch attack as you start heating, draw, stop heating and continue drawing.

Sounds quite a bit like the cigarette/"joint" model, doesn't it?  :B):

Well, truth is in the begining i could hardly find words suitable enough to interpret some fresh perceptions i was trying to develop which really felt elusive back then.  So, being unable to predict results from theory i just decided to patiently proceed with successive iterations until my newly acquired background suggested where to aim as a next step, typically requiring months before i got ready for another bet once again.  As i recall in practice one of the early challenges were about getting a direct view on my flame's tip, then an urge to "defocuss" heat based on the idea that hot-spotting in the bowl promoted accidental combustion.  For this later purpose alone i think i experimented with glass myself during the initial 3 years, until i gradually lost interest in air/glass serving as insulators while it seemed a shielding effect from metal supports simultaneously emerged.  Considerations for a "PinHole" à la VapMan also captured my imagination then i finally found a proper metal part to play with which i called the "UFO Element", later cut into a disc, while direct on-top PinHoles waited until i started working on Full-Metal Spheres (late in 2018)...

Having no idea what's a proper SiC puck to use i assumed defocussing called for the minimum thickness still capable of blocking light, which occured near 4 mm thick, which didn't account for the metal disc and much less a second SiC puck wrapped in a brass screen.  Each step often implied destructive reconfigurations eventually, which is why i started to give away preliminary units that survived consecutive erosion, etc., while layers in my Hybrid Core continued to get trimmed down in hope for my next inspiration...

:g:

In retrospective i'm forced to conclude my ideal "3.1 - 1.0 - 2.4" core setup was just too subtle & complex to hope drawing a solution directly from theory, not to mention the procedure to create a direct Core-PinHole that falls exactly where i needed it to be.  Now imagine trying to avoid closing doors for future enhancements, including electromagnetic induction.  Which reminds me i was actually having my LAVACapsule in mind when i commented about the Sublimator's 2nd heater phase in my previous reply...  Sorry about that moment of distraction.

With all this briefly put in perspective it seems to me that today's layout can be especially tricky to explain in a clean-burning butane context, for example i'm not too confident we're in total agreement about early heat diffusion in the core.  The thing is "Plan-B" combines multiple vectors in many ways, with radiative heat being attenuated through SiC foam then captured by a metal disc initially behaving as a shield then turning into an energy source because of heat retention, while part of the convective heat passes right through the whole core but not without leaving more energy behind for further conversions, etc.  So at some point the need to equally account for core delays taking place in a mostly transitional process grows into a formidable cognitive challenge, at least to me as i never pretended to master all of its thermodynamic principles myself - which is exactly why i had to work with successive trials & errors instead, on top of a requirement for these experiments to remain easily accessible for the masses.

Yet it's true that i'm storing energy to be released seconds later, ideally rendering such "Pre-Heat" stage totally independant from the rest once adapted to IH driving with provisions for Inlet Water and "Micro-Dosing", etc., etc.  And why not, even optical probing of a cannabic path - which an industrial manufacturer now implements in their Sunburst InDose (fat e-Cig style) product.  In other words, although "Plan-B" may feel good enough to pose as a "Plan-A" it's still a "Prototyping Platform" indended to assist with the acquisition of novel perspectives.  Please keep in mind its clean-burning butane mode only pretends to be an approximation where brief successive phases may also overlap somewhat vaguely, a bit like "analog" compared to "digital"...

I think I've made something similar with glass balls...

That's reminescent enough of my older defocussing experiments, but then i made a major transition by juxtaposing materials with radically differing properties, still in "KISS" fashion i might add.  SiC Foam is only 1 part of my Hybrid Core, the metal disc and brass wrap are another and the resulting contraption appears to work much like an airflow-actuated solid-state thermal valve, assimilable to a semi-conductor analogy IMO...

...I've got a few different disc sizes on my wishlist for future builds.  Surprised there aren't more vapes with sic foam diffusers inline after the heater...

If my memory ain't failing i once wished the Firefly's heater coil to be enclosed inside a thin layer of SiC Foam, years later i suggested this alternative below once sufficiently confident over the matter of an Energy Budget, instead of relying on brute retention alone:

On 30/03/2019 at 3:49 PM, Egzoset said:

But i remain concerned this would waste half of the heat externally, as a trade-off for getting it as basic as it can get.  For me its underlying KISS philosophy translates as an effort to Keep It Stupid-Simple in the sense that functionality could be kept error-proof, which doesn't mean no rational thinking was necessary to get there, on the contrary.  Anyway there always are trade-offs involved, the quest for perfection can prove being a most deceiving one while it's OKay to seek performance that is "good enough".

In any case i recommend to bet on transitional behaviours rather than thermostatic.  After all Pulse Heating was good enough indeed for JAi to adopt when the company initially conceived their IH-driven analytical instruments, 30-some years ago...

Edited by Egzoset
Read-proofing.
  • Like 2