Virtual Reality systems to avoid.

assault and battery

My son has asked for a VR system for Easter. with us all on lockdown I think it will be a fun thing to play with so I'm going along with it.

any advice on what one(s) if any I should avoid? I know he wants one that runs of his Windows PC rather than a headset only type one.

with him being 12 ( but a strapping lad) I did wonder how weighty and comfy the headsets are, so if anyone has tried them or owns one I would like your input, please.

Thanks

Edited by assault and battery
nonsense

Look on the Microsoft uk site they have what your looking, then go price shopping. Your pc will need to be pretty beefy to run it correct.

For loads a choice with games don't bypass OCULUS Rift . None are exactly cheap all the same.

Edited by tokenroll
  • Like 1

I've got an oculus rift, they're amazing with the controller's, there's a newer one out now so would get that I believe rift S. They usually do kits with the room sensors, getting one extra sensor for the other side the room is a good idea too and don't cost a great deal more. 

Would definitely check you're son has the correct amount of usb3 ports and decent enough graphic card / setup to handle it all comfortably. 

You're in for a treat tho, beat saber, half life alyx, gorn, table tennis, Pavlov, super hot vr are some great games to get you started 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, OLaC said:

ould definitely check you're son has the correct amount of usb3 ports and decent enough graphic card

I think he's got more than enough to run it, I'll go look. He did present me with the STEAM VR system but it's like 1k and I must have looked a bit shocked as he said "there's cheaper though"

Just had a looksy

RTX2060 Graphics card

1TB EVO SSD

Ryzen 7 3800X Pro

16GB Ram but there's space to up it if necessary.

oh and it looks like a freaking disco but they all do these days.

• Like 1

I had a rift a while back, was great, as already said the controllers are on point. I had issues with mine so had to return but i have been looking to replace and it looks like the new rift doesn't need the floor/desk sensors anymore. it appears to be all connected to the headset.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, assault and battery said:

I think he's got more than enough to run it, I'll go look. He did present me with the STEAM VR system but it's like 1k and I must have looked a bit shocked as he said "there's cheaper though"

Just had a looksy

RTX2060 Graphics card

1TB EVO SSD

Ryzen 7 3800X Pro

16GB Ram but there's space to up it if necessary.

oh and it looks like a freaking disco but they all do these days.

That should be more than enough! 

6 minutes ago, highcontrast said:

I had a rift a while back, was great, as already said the controllers are on point. I had issues with mine so had to return but i have been looking to replace and it looks like the new rift doesn't need the floor/desk sensors anymore. it appears to be all connected to the headset.

Even better! I haven't used mine since moving it upstairs as not much room in the study. It was amazing in the lounge with the whole room to play in! If I ever have to do the 14 day isolation during this pandemic I'll definitely be moving it back downstairs.

• Like 2

@highcontrast

I've found it all a bit confusing. I was thinking he would need sensors all over the place. Im looking at the Rift S, i thought the headphones would be built in. I dont know why. I think Im imagining VR helmets.

my old rift had earphones built in, just checked and the rift s does advertise as coming with integrated audio. can't see it in the pics tho :smokin:

• Like 2