Ideal storing humidity of jars of bud for vaping

zone_coasting

I've been reading on here that people seem to prefer their bud 'bone dry and finely ground' for vaping. Am wondering what humidity do people go for when drying their weed; is it worth drying to around 62% in the jars still, or do you like to get it down much lower than this in curing? Is 20 - 30% not better to aim for ??

Salutations Zone_Coasting,

16 hours ago, zone_coasting said:

Is 20 - 30% not better to aim for??

IMO it depends on the consumption method, 62 % R. H. may be suitable for smokers but i've observed that's seriously defeating pulse heating in my vaporist pipe.

Good day, have fun!!  :sorry:

I've heard some people say you need dry material to vape and even recommend to dry the herb over a lightbulb for the best experience with certain vapes but I'm not convinced and still keep mine at 62% for the best flavour in my opinion. You get a faster extraction and bigger cloudzbro with bone dry material but I think it tastes kind of stale and lifeless to me. 

I doubt that it'll make much difference but I'm gonna pick up some 55% Integra Boost or 58% Boveda packs next time to compare with the 62s I'm using at the moment. 

• Like 1

Salutations Hippie on Hill,

3 hours ago, Hippie on hill said:

You get a faster extraction and bigger cloudz bro with bone dry material but I think it tastes kind of stale and lifeless to me.

Quite possibly because that's not pulse heating as that which was chosen decades ago for analytical devices where secondary denaturation by heat was also a serious issue.

IMO humidity in an electricity-based vaporizer only means more energy gets diverted/dispersed over thermalization, while in smoking that's a convenient fire-retardant i would think.

Good day, have fun!!  :sorry:

I find 62% a little too wet - which is strange as this seems to be what most recommend. I like to be a few % under this. 

On 29/02/2020 at 9:59 PM, zone_coasting said:

Is 20 - 30% not better to aim for ??

This would be way too dry IMO. Likely wouldn't end up with a great end product. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I stuck my hydrometer in some of my jars around 8 months old which have been regularly opened, and was surprised to find they were still up around the 58% mark. These vape very nicely in my opinion. :hippy:

• Like 2

Looks like you've stumbled across the answer to your own question, nice one. :)

I also find that it grinds up finer & fluffier when it's <62%. Well ground herb just works better in a vaporizer, in my experience. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just discovered that I prefer it at the bud at 48% rh. The bud crumbles nicely between thumb and finger, no need for scissors, and the vapour is nicer also.

• Like 2