Butter or coconut oil?

Hey all,

I just wondered what people thought worked better for extraction - butter or coconut oil? I have tried both, and I have to say I think the butter is much stronger than the oil. Anyone else see the same? I used the same bud, from the same plant so the weed was the same. For the butter I boiled water, added butter, and then added 1/2oz bud and kept it cooking for an hour. For the coconut oil, I added it to the slow cooker with 1/2 oz and left for around 8hrs. Both the butter and oil was the same qty..

So, what do people think - what works better?

I find the oil a bit more versatile for cooking, but the butter stronger :)

Yeah I added some of that shit. have you ever done a side-by-side test with and without? I know it helps with THC absorption, but is it massively noticeable? It also helps emulsify, which is goof for gummies, and, well, everything

2 minutes ago, lemoore00 said:

Yeah I added some of that shit. have you ever done a side-by-side test with and without? I know it helps with THC absorption, but is it massively noticeable? It also helps emulsify, which is goof for gummies, and, well, everything

never tested it at all , just read up plenty of people recommended adding it,  to help absorption.

@lemoore00 the lecithin is absolutely necessary as an emulsifier for some recipes like gummies for instance where the fat will separate if not used. 

I also use a bit on cannachocolates to prevent fat bloom.

As for helping your body with absorption therefore making the product stronger I'm still a bit unconvinced ..I do believe I get high 20-30 mins quicker if I use lecithin.. but can still get just as high with or without.

Everything everywhere will tell you coconut oil has the higher fat content so its best to use. But like you when I use butter I find the edibles to be stronger, using the same amount of bud/process as the coconut oil.

They both work, but yeh, no idea why I feel the effects more from butter over coconut oil.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OLaC said:

@lemoore00 the lecithin is absolutely necessary as an emulsifier for some recipes like gummies for instance where the fat will separate if not used. 

i am using my RSO when making gummies-5g of RSO in 2g of coconut oil

using Jell-O,2 packs +30g of beef gelatine,150ml of hot water that's all i need no lecithin.

the only problem with gummies is no preservatives,no sugar,one gummy around 3calories so they need to be in the freezer

@Jammo85  (if reading this hope they turned out ok now)

Edited by joba
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, joba said:

i am using my RSO when making gummies-5g of RSO in 2g of coconut oil

using Jell-O,2 packs +30g of beef gelatine,150ml of hot water that's all i need no lecithin.

the only problem with gummies is no preservatives,no sugar,one gummy around 3calories so they need to be in the freezer

@Jammo85  (if reading this hope they turned out ok now)

With RSO you're using so little coconut oil it probably doesn't matter much. But If you made a  batch from flower and wanted to put enough of that coconut oil in for a decent dose you should use lecithin or the likelyhood is the fat will separate.

• Like 2

@OLaC

yes you are correct my friend,actually I don't even do RSO like Rick I am doing it by Graywolf,freezing bud and ethanol prior to extraction so there isn't any fats,waxes

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, joba said:

@OLaC

yes you are correct my friend,actually I don't even do RSO like Rick I am doing it by Graywolf,freezing bud and ethanol prior to extraction so there isn't any fats,waxes

Same here mate, always follow graywolf on concentrates/extractions, that dude knows his stuff! 

I just infused a gram of the oil with 20g of cocoa butter then mixed that into chocolate and tempered it. Taste bloody lovely, gonna remelt that chocolate and fill with the raspberry cream I made from this sugar and some cannabutter. Overkill I think but what the hey lol

• Like 2

Just now, lemoore00 said:

any references you can share for this graywolf guys?

google skunkpharm research  or view members on here

Edited by joba
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/02/2020 at 1:21 PM, OLaC said:

Same here mate, always follow graywolf on concentrates/extractions, that dude knows his stuff! 

I just infused a gram of the oil with 20g of cocoa butter then mixed that into chocolate and tempered it. Taste bloody lovely, gonna remelt that chocolate and fill with the raspberry cream I made from this sugar and some cannabutter. Overkill I think but what the hey lol

sorry to bother you m8, but i have an ardent decarb machine and a magnetic hotplate stirrer machine , in your experience after i have decrarbed the bud in it ( i have to use this as my nosey neighbour would shop me) what heat settings/ process would u use to get some nicer rso oil