Plant intelligence and human consciousness

Dodgee

I wasn't sure where to put this so here we are, if it needs moving please feel free mods,

Interesting views I think.

Hope folk enjoy!

• Like 14

• 1 year later...

Interesting topic, have you read or seen anything by Paul Stamets? (i'm sure you have) he has a very interesting take on mycelium intelligence which really made me think.

• Like 3

Oh man this is a subject I can get into. 

I'm a firm believer in plant sentience. 

Will check put the vids when I get chance. 

Nice 1 dodgee

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Entropy said:

Interesting topic, have you read or seen anything by Paul Stamets? (i'm sure you have) he has a very interesting take on mycelium intelligence which really made me think.

Yeah I like listening to stamets talk, his opinions are interesting and he's easy on the ear, his description of his first mushroom trip is epic! 

Not sure how I feel about him patenting certain things which should probably stay in the free for all realm of nature.. but hey ho! Be a boring world if we all agreed with everything other folk said and did eh!

@blackpoolbouncer

I actually thought of you when I first posted the videos, easy topic to miss though with so little interest at the time, I probably should have bumped it since then tbh

@Cambium

It might have been you posted them previously but I've definitely seen them before, proper bonkers aye and certainly gives pause for thought.

If plant sentience is ever proven conclusively beyond doubt it leaves the vegan types on a pretty sticky wicket eh! lol

• Like 3

Just now, Dodgee said:

If plant sentience is ever proven conclusively beyond doubt it leaves the vegan types on a pretty sticky wicket eh! lol

Can you imagine the shame and despair when they realis the pain they have inflicted.

Great idea for a thread @Dodgee, this is such an interesting and exciting topic and I like to believe important to understand for the future generations. When I started looking at the topic I used to think wow this is bonkers but now I think its bonkers that most don't know that the tress learn from each others scars and wounds.

Stamets is great to listen to and I love his recap of the amanita pantherina trip he had on the Joe Rogan podcast but fungi and mycelium are only the tip of the iceberg.

Will be following this one eagerly to see what others share.

• Like 3

Having taken the time to watch the videos I must say I'm glad I did, fascinating stuff, really makes me wonder what kind of response our favourite plant could have as we all know the theory behind trichomes and THC as a defence against UV but does cannabis do the same as tomatoes? leaf toxins against caterpillars and would this taint the final product in anyway... really interesting, as a new poster but long time lurker I remember way before Stamets there was a fellow here Farmer G maybe? I recall reading his theory on how mushrooms could communicate and even in one instance appear to have made someone commit suicide... 

Thanks for the links, made a really interesting evening.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Entropy said:

we all know the theory behind trichomes and THC as a defence against UV

I understood this to be related to pests as is the case fro other trichome bearing sticky plants. The plant munchers get stuck, this attracts the predators that end up hanging around because stuck insects are easy prey, which then deters the plant munchers. Something like that anyway.

• Like 1

It's been awhile since I watched the videos so I forget now if this was covered in them or if I seen it elsewhere but an interesting fact I came across was how trees in a forest will support one another.  

Trees will, via there root system send nutrients and water to other trees which are hungry/thirsty or otherwise struggling.

Makes you think don't it, maybe if humans (the so called apex species) were able to understand the language of plant life, what other valuable lessons they might teach us..

On a slightly off topic tangent, and in reply to @Entropy (great name btw).  I know a couple of folks who when tripping heavily on acid and dmt have experienced what they feel certain was telepathy, talking to one another through thought alone.

There are numerous anecdotes of people tripping on a variety of substances who state they have been spoken to by various plants.  The south American tribes who use Ayahuasca have long said it is a tool that allows them to communicate with the forest and learn from them.

This has always been written off as hallucination but a part of me wonders if these substances open up a pathway to converse with other species than our own.  

DMT in particular is known for giving the impression of conversing with other wordly spirits or beings.

Psychedelic mushrooms such as cubensis contain a form of DMT that is orally active without the need for an maoi so it makes sense they would have a subjectively similar effect..

It's like plants give the necessary tools to speak to other plants in some ways.

At least my drug addled brain thinks so anyway!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dodgee said:

Trees will, via there root system send nutrients and water to other trees which are hungry/thirsty or otherwise struggling.

Add into that the intermediary of mycelium and this story starts to get spicy.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Gimps said:

Merlin Sheldrake has a book out, “Entangled life” about the intelligence of fungi.

Supposed to be very good, according to reviews.

It's an excellent book. I highly recommend reading.

• Like 2

Theres a thread here that @Cambium started a few years back, I'll leave a link as it's very much on topic and anyone enjoying this thread will no doubt find it interesting too,

Cheers

• Like 1