Decarbing issues

JamesD

I really want to give up smoking, but I’ve tried the decarbing process twice now and each time I felt very little if any of the effects. I followed these instructions to the letter: https://www.leafly.com/news/lifestyle/recipe-how-to-make-basic-cannabutter

Once the weed was decarbed I just mixed it into some yogurt, I didn’t make cannabutter or anything, but these instructions say you can just eat it. I have a friend who says all you need to do infuse the raw weed with something, like butter. But that doesn’t seem like the case based on my research. However I’m hearing conflicting things and I was hoping someone would have some insight. Thanks!

I had same issues decarbing in the oven, if you use a laser thermometer, the temp swings all over the shop.

If you don't mind paying a couple of hundred quid you could pick up the Ardent Nova for a perfect decarb every time.

I went for the cheaper option and picked up a sous vide wand / container and vacuum sealer for £70 and have never looked back.

Here's my process which is pretty much smell free as well (bonus!)

Edited by OLaC
Name of decarb device was wrong
  • Like 1

I would try infusing something over eating decarbed raw. 

Milk,butter,oil etc.

plenty of guides on here to try

• Like 3

You can just chuck the decarbed weed into 00 caps and boof them, or mix with nuttella or peanut butter on bread/toast. But it gives me terrible gas and indigestion so I infuse every time. 

• Like 2

Break up 1/2oz, half fill a pan with water, chuck in a block of butter, low to medium heat for hour. Strain through a cheesecloth into a waterproof tuppaware container and put in the fridge upside down until set. 

What could be easier?

Then make caps or gummies

Decarbing is not your issue , its absorption rate. 

THC dissolves in alcohol, and fats like butter. When consumed it can be digested and absorbed way faster than if you eat raw decarbed gear. You still wont get the same hit as you do smoking it as smoking is as fast as injecting into veins for getting a drug into you. You can get a more intense and deep hit though ...half to an hour after consuming

I make cannabutter using 1 oz ground weed which I turn into 25 ginger biscuits ... do one of those on an evening and I dont want to vape all night (another alternative you could consider to smoking)  .... or do much else to be honest lol lol

• Like 4

@Bartyfartblast So basically, just decarbing and consuming isn’t enough - it needs to be infused with butter or something else, right? 

I smoke about a gram a week - I wouldn’t be able to afford this :/ But another thing I keep hearing is that eating it is much more potent than smoking it, so shouldn’t I be able to feel the effect using the smaller amounts that I do? I should clarify that I don’t smoke heavily - one or two a day.

34 minutes ago, JamesD said:

I smoke about a gram a week - I wouldn’t be able to afford this

the easy way around this (other than growing your own meds of course)  is to adjust the ratios. Where peoples recipe is half o/z green to 1 stick of butter, you would half the stick and add 7 grams of green. Still too expensive, then half again etc. Just bear in mind when someone shares a recipe that there tolerance is no doubt going to be a lot different to yours. As a side of caution when introducing your self to edibles you really want to start off lightly and find the sweet spot rather than overdoing it and being out of action regretting them 2 brownies you ate the day before 

1 hour ago, JamesD said:

@Bartyfartblast So basically, just decarbing and consuming isn’t enough - it needs to be infused with butter or something else, right? 

I smoke about a gram a week - I wouldn’t be able to afford this :/ But another thing I keep hearing is that eating it is much more potent than smoking it, so shouldn’t I be able to feel the effect using the smaller amounts that I do? I should clarify that I don’t smoke heavily - one or two a day.

Correct, we digest and absorb it way faster and more efficiently if dissolved in fats or alcohol.  

A gram a week is what the mouse in my kitchen has where I drop some mixture !! How many joints do you get out of a gram ?  My biscuits have about a gram a piece and it is better to eat half at a time . To get the ratio down just dilute canabutter with normal butter .

• Like 1