Induction heater for Dynavap

Hi all,

I just ordered a Dynavap, and i've seen lots of people using mini induction heaters instead of a torch lighter.

Has anyone made one here, or found a decent one around?

Cheers

Salutations LeMoore00,

On 28/01/2020 at 9:23 AM, lemoore00 said:

...i've seen lots of people using mini induction heaters...

Do you have a strictly portable application in mind?

Good day, have fun!!  :sorry:

11 hours ago, Egzoset said:

Salutations LeMoore00,

Do you have a strictly portable application in mind?

At the very least something that runs on batteries, yes...

Hi again LeMoore00,

That makes me even more curious, would you happen to have a digital weight scale handy?  When the DynaVap arrives it would be stimulating to get numbers for every metal part, including a mention to how those react to magnets...

Nice timing - Dynavap will be unveiling their Dynatec IH on their live stream this evening 

It looks like an Apollo 2 with a new picture on the top to me but I guess we'll find out more at 10.19 lol

To answer the original question, I have bought 3 IHs - a skeletor and a portside mini form Pipes and a 15mm fluxer deluxe with the dial from Fluxer on FC forums.

The fluxer deluxe is the smallest unit as he's designed his own circuit board whereas Pipes uses off the shelf parts (that he checks and automatically replaces some parts on before he builds) which is reflected in the price as a fluxer is about twice the price of one of Pipes IHs (depending on optional extras) 

Pipes uses a 16mm coil in his builds so my 15mm fluxer is the quickest but that also means it's faster to combust if you leave it heating for too long.

All 3 devices heat very consistently and get regular use here at casa del Hippie

I recommend all 3 unreservedly, both sellers were a pleasure to deal with 

Edited by Hippie on hill
adjusted the time
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Egzoset said:

Hi again LeMoore00,

That makes me even more curious, would you happen to have a digital weight scale handy?  When the DynaVap arrives it would be stimulating to get numbers for every metal part, including a mention to how those react to magnets...

Yes, I have some digital scales. I have the DynaVap here. How should the stimulation proceed?

Hi there Lemoore00,

10 hours ago, lemoore00 said:

How should the stimulation proceed?

This is what i got in mind:

On 20/01/2020 at 6:41 AM, Egzoset said:

large.5e1e5ba8909be_EnergyvsAlloyTempera

[ https:// www.omnicalculator.com/physics/specific-heat ]
Omni Calculator - Specific Heat Calculator

It's an on-line calculator which anyone can toy with, i'd suggest non-destructive dissassembly into material groups so their metallic mass can be measured as a function of specific properties.  For example SS316/SS316L has a density of 8.03 g/cm^3 while SS420/SS430 is more responsive to magnetism, anyway this tool includes an option to specify "Substance" directly from a table...  Why not just capture a global snapshot and write down a weight reading for each item!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Egzoset said:

Hi there Lemoore00,

This is what i got in mind:

It's an on-line calculator which anyone can toy with, i'd suggest non-destructive dissassembly into material groups so their metallic mass can be measured as a function of specific properties.  For example SS316/SS316L has a density of 8.03 g/cm^3 while SS420/SS430 is more responsive to magnetism, anyway this tool includes an option to specify "Substance" directly from a table...  Why not just capture a global snapshot and write down a weight reading for each item!

Hi, could he not just wait for the click, or do induction heaters work differently?

Hi again,

7 hours ago, lemoore00 said:

What is the benefit of such efforts?

7 hours ago, LA LUNA said:

...do induction heaters work differently?

Well, usually knowledge acquisition comes after observation (...), and yes, Induction Heating is different from torching indeed.  But i suppose it's all the same in the end, as long as the main purpose gets fulfilled!

• Like 1