Energy Budget

Egzoset

Salutations everybody,

Considerations expressed in this present post reflect conceptual aspects already explored in these previous dedicated threads, linked below for the reader's own convenience:

Plan-A, IH-driven DiY ideas for DynaVap VapCap enthousiasts. (2019-Mar-27)

VaporGenie Classic (wood), "Classic"-look Aluminium and Bronze Sherlock (2017-May-21)

Sorry about the increasing number of missing pictures and other non-sense, my quest goes back to 2010 while TinyPic went off-line in the interval with my dedicated album starting to shrink...  By chance an updated collection of images can be downloaded directly from this external resource:

Google Photos - Semi DiY Challenge(s)

Lets now proceed after having another look at fundamental basics:

On 29/06/2019 at 6:25 PM, Egzoset said:

large.5d1656ff44975_AfricanTom(2015-Dec-16)640x480.PNG

This is nature's way to filter/collect the noble cannabis molecules, its trichome glands;  then here's how that should get transfered into our bloodstream, e.g. in a rational metered dosing manner:

On 27/03/2019 at 4:01 AM, Egzoset said:

large.5c9a7b12e1ea5_SpecificHeatformula300x200.PNG

Followed by a physical implementation illustrating "Plan-B" butane-powered mode:

On 20/03/2019 at 9:00 PM, Egzoset said:

week:

large.5c86ee20bfc3c_Egzosets6thYearEditionofCust.VGPipe(2019-Mar-11)400x300.PNG

With provisions for IH-driven "Plan-A" mode thanks to this core multi-function item:

large.5d41fd5d93128_HeatDecouplingPadsof

Heat-Decoupling Pads of 12.5 mm (dia.) x 1.0 mm (thick) Metal Disc with 17 (#53) Holes

That's a metal "susceptor" which i yet need to evaluate using Induction Heat, its diameter has been adjusted to 12.55 mm to account for my Heat-Decoupling Pads which are intended to better manage with fitting variance (e.g. loose vs stiff).  My choice of alloy would be dictated by a relative absence of chemical reactivity at moderate operating temperatures, possibly Stainless Steel 316/316L or 420/430, each representing one boundary of a probable magnetic range.

Having defined all necessary factors it's about time to use some simple on-line calculator resources in order to predict how many Joules i'm dealing with, more precisely:

large.5e1e5ae1aa4b1_HoleDiscVolumeCalcul

Omni Calculator - Cylinder Volume Calculator

large.5e1e5b511d678_FinalDiscMassvsMetal

Omni Calculator - Density

large.5e1e5ba8909be_EnergyvsAlloyTempera

Omni Calculator - Specific Heat Calculator

So, based on an approximation perspective gained using "Plan-B" i can reasonably announce (already...) that my Energy Charge ranges around 100 Joules.  Maybe half, maybe twice but in any case quite unlikely to be off-target fivefold anyway - which implies each 25 ~ 30 mg toke (extracted from a ~125 mg bowl) costs this many Joules and not a lot more.

:oldtoker:

In conclusion divide net stored heat by effective driving Watts to get a fair idea of Pre-Heat time in seconds.

Assuming a modest 80 % efficiency 25 Watts IH driver that's around 100 Joules ÷ 20 Watts = 5 sec...  YMMV.

Which is essential in digital-grade "Micro-Bursting" applications where excessive delays would result in wasted heat potentially contributing to denaturation (read "baking") from unnecessary exposure to parasitic power leaks, while supposed to stick to a separated phases model instead:

large.5dfd6cc2c2f7c_DavidvsGoliathBurst-

During the Pre-Heating (#1) stage it's important to avoid leaking into our bowl while a charge builds up, when ready the heat pulse must flood this bowl with all delays minimized and then it's promptly followed by fresh purging air to promote "conservation" further.  In principle such a goal suggest the need for some valve, in practice my Hydrid Core structure meets these objectives just fine:

large.5c98feab6b45c_EgzosetsFully-Custom

In "Plan-A" IH-driven mode ZERO airflow implies no radiative/convective energy can transfer through my Brass Screen Wrapped "Top-of-Bowl SiC Puck" which initially behaves as an insulator caped by a shielding diffuser, because the multitude of air pockets massively interconnects via high thermal conductivity tetrakaidecahedron SiC branches of a foamy matrix.  Such solid-state separation valve prevents premature denaturation in a bowl while injecting a temporary Heat Charge into the core, consequently "Baking" is further minimized.  Given the small distance airflow sets things in motion real fast and quite separately from the previous phase.  During the Release/Transport (and possibly also the Activation) #2 stage airflow causes the energy burst to selectively target tiny contact-surfaces as trichome glands until the charge gets depleted, hopefully before significant damage occurs between 2 inhalations, hence offering the means to explore precision metered dosing with no compromizes:  e.g. just match the top rated in Joules to its Workload to cover a full range of desirable applications.

In all honesty i doubt that popular competing concepts ever pushed the rationalization of their Energy Budget this far, provided they have any at all...

Good day, have fun!!  :sorry:

Edited by lildaveham
Links
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

The "coup de grâce":

Egzoset-s-Universal-2-Phase-4-Poles-IH-W

Overall i'd say it's reasonably realistic to expect these components to fit inside a 5 x 5 x 1 cm volume and yet be rated well beyond the Kilo-Watt...  Though this present application only requires a fraction of it and for a couple seconds at most, which implies if that's encased within some aluminium box also behaving as a heat sink then excess heat shouldn't be a significant issue and much less over-heating in the IH driver since Ti's TPA3255 appears to be full-proof - if not fool-proof too...

IMO it helps to place 2 high-density power cells around this to get a more complete picture and eventually exercise some critical look on the present modest offers finally starting to sprout from diverse 3rd-party sources.

Imagine, 1 single "Class-D" (power-switching) chip is rated for up to 300 + 300 Watts in audio applications including Hi-Fi audio (44 & 48 KHz...), so i gather power ain't much of a big problem and i just can't wait for Gallium Nitride versions to appear - in the years to come for sure!

:thumsup:

M'well at least in principle, but now that the genie escaped its annoying and most restrictive bottle maybe we should watch out what might come next!...  :moptop:

Good day, have fun!!  :sorry:

Edited by Egzoset
Read-proofing.