Addicted to Painkillers? Britain's Opioid Crisis Thursday 9:00 pm

Jimboo

Addicted to Painkillers? Britain's Opioid Crisis

skychb2006.png

Thursday 9:00 pm

Length 1 hour

Dr Michael Mosley immerses himself on the frontline of our prescription painkiller habit. Also in HD.

• Like 1

my wife has been in agony for near 3 months now from nerve ends in her toes, she cant sleep or eat or sit down in comfort, she started with 5mg of morphine has been doubled twice so up to 20mg, but it don't take away the pain its just comatosing her , she has around 10 volcano bags every night putting her into more of a stupor, cant believe they are not doing more to help her apart from turn her into an addict.

Pretty shitty calling someone seeking alleviation from extreme pain an addict because of the doctor chosen methods.

Sounds like she needs gabapentin rather than morphine but I ain't a doctor

• Like 2

Working in a nursing home I see people at the end of life in excruciating pain because they've had their scripts stopped because they haven't died quick enough and doctors have withdrawn their opiates because they have been influenced by shit like this. 

Cunts :furious:

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, sam-i-am said:

Working in a nursing home I see people at the end of life in excruciating pain because they've had their scripts stopped because they haven't died quick enough and doctors have withdrawn their opiates because they have been influenced by shit like this. 

Cunts :furious:

I never thought of it like that mate. 

I am very anti Painkiller in general, but then i have never been in real pain, so who am i to judge.

Obviously i am ok with people that need them getting them, but i also know a lot, and i mean a lot of friends who are hooked, who dont even need them.

I will be watching for sure @jimbo

Thanks 

1 hour ago, sam-i-am said:

Cunts 

I always hoped that when people were nearing the end and if they were in any pain they would just be given shit loads of drugs. Give the old lady another dose of morphine would you? She seems like she is suffering a bit more today. Hello Doris would you like a couple of valium with your cerial this morning? Morning Harold, here ya go mate I snuck you a couple more of those liquid morphine's for you, you just take them when you need to mate ok.

I just hoped that when I have lived out my salad days and I get sick I would be helped on the rocky path to my death with a decent amount of pharmacuticals to take a few of the bumps out of the road. Morphine, benzo's or what ever, they are all cheap, why not let people go out comfortably rather than in pain?

But then again I think someone should be able to have sodium pentoarbitol if they want it and can justify it.

When my dog needs it he will have it, not before and only when it is best for him, but he can have it, I wouldn't deny him or make him suffer.

People should be able to have more say in what medications they choose to take and how much.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I always hoped that when people were nearing the end and if they were in any pain they would just be given shit loads of drugs. Give the old lady another dose of morphine would you? She seems like she is suffering a bit more today. Hello Doris would you like a couple of valium with your cerial this morning? Morning Harold, here ya go mate I snuck you a couple more of those liquid morphine's for you, you just take them when you need to mate ok.

I just hoped that when I have lived out my salad days and I get sick I would be helped on the rocky path to my death with a decent amount of pharmacuticals to take a few of the bumps out of the road. Morphine, benzo's or what ever, they are all cheap, why not let people go out comfortably rather than in pain?

But then again I think someone should be able to have sodium pentoarbitol if they want it and can justify it.

When my dog needs it he will have it, not before and only when it is best for him, but he can have it, I wouldn't deny him or make him suffer.

People should be able to have more say in what medications they choose to take and how much.

There are a few decent doctor's out there who, when the end is near, will administer a lethal dose I reckon?

Obviously you can't just out n out ask them.  And they can't very well admit to it either.

They would get struck off.

But in a wink wink nudge nudge kinda way..

At least that's my thoughts on the matter, I don't see how you could refuse it if the family and patient are suffering excessively at the end myself. I know I would do it.  When all else has failed like..

I, like you think we should be allowed to choose our time of departure in some circumstances.

There's bound to be a few quacks out there who think along similar lines as us.  At least I hope there is.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

There are a few decent doctor's out there who, when the end is near, will administer a lethal dose I reckon?

Obviously you can't just out n out ask them.  And they can't very well admit to it either.

They would get struck off.

But in a wink wink nudge nudge kinda way..

At least that's my thoughts on the matter, I don't see how you could refuse it if the family and patient are suffering excessively at the end myself. I know I would do it.  When all else has failed like..

I, like you think we should be allowed to choose our time of departure in some circumstances.

There's bound to be a few quacks out there who think along similar lines as us.  At least I hope there is.

Harold Shipman put paid to that. 

I found them a piece of piss to get off.Cocaine on the other hand a bit harder.

e2a I wasn't given enough when I needed it.

Edited by icki

10 hours ago, sam-i-am said:

Harold Shipman put paid to that. 

The guys a cunt for more than one reason then!

I think I read an article awhile back that stated unofficial euthanasia still occurs when the decision is made to withhold hydration and nutrition during palliative care at end of life.

When giving it serves no purpose beyond prolonging the inevitable like..

Seems daft don't it?  Given the choice between a lethal dose of painkillers/sedatives or being starved/dehydrated to death i know which I would choose..

I still think there must be a few doctors who would look the other way as were and allow a lethal dose to be administered.. I realise the law makes that difficult for them but still.. You can but hope eh.

Atb

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

The guys a cunt for more than one reason then!

I think I read an article awhile back that stated unofficial euthanasia still occurs when the decision is made to withhold hydration and nutrition during palliative care at end of life.

When giving it serves no purpose beyond prolonging the inevitable like..

Seems daft don't it?  Given the choice between a lethal dose of painkillers/sedatives or being starved/dehydrated to death i know which I would choose..

I still think there must be a few doctors who would look the other way as were and allow a lethal dose to be administered.. I realise the law makes that difficult for them but still.. You can but hope eh.

Atb

Couldn't agree more. The law really needs changing. 

When I was working on home care I once spent some nights holding the hand of a really lovely gentleman who was a week away from the cancer taking him. He spent one night when he was conscious begging me to smother him with a pillow. 

I started crying the moment I left and sobbed all the way home. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, sam-i-am said:

When I was working on home care I once spent some nights holding the hand of a really lovely gentleman who was a week away from the cancer taking him. He spent one night when he was conscious begging me to smother him with a pillow. 

I came to a conclusion the best option for me would be stocking up with few lethal doses just in case ...... kind of i did it my way

I have been recently myself treated for  cancer and seen it first hand  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sam-i-am said:

Ouch. Did they offer you any support ever in terms of dealing with trauma? I very much doubt it, but they should.

Not my area, but..

Are these memories while 'the liverpool pathway' was around, or afterwards? It got pulled about 2 or three years ago apprently - someone I know whas talking about it recently - due to it is being abused by care home/s or something.... I don't have the details in my head right now though. :stoned:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

Ouch. Did they offer you any support ever in terms of dealing with trauma? I very much doubt it, but they should.

Not my area, but..

Are these memories while 'the liverpool pathway' was around, or afterwards? It got pulled about 2 or three years ago apprently - someone I know whas talking about it recently - due to it is being abused by care home/s or something.... I don't have the details in my head right now though. :stoned:

No, of course I wasn't offered any support, that may have cut into the profit margins of the company. 

Was post Liverpool pathway, although people who are very close to the end often start to refuse food and drink of their own accord in the last few days. 

• Like 1