Shit smoke - anything to be done ?

JimmyPage

So last crop was 2x White Widows back in August. Harvested & trimmed as per usual. Dried and then put loosely into (11x1L) jars, and MrsJP religiously burped them daily until a couple of weeks ago.

When burping it seemed to go from greeny smell to sweet smell to greeny ... never quite settled on green. But after nearly 10 weeks of curing, felt it was time to put them into 2x2L jars.

Yesterday, decided to grind a bit to see what we can look forward to and ... Oh dear :( The smoke had a good buzz (eased MrsJPs pains) but a distinctly green edge. If you didn't know better, it would be an "OK" smoke, but we do. And quite frankly it's shit.

Now, we won't be breaking into this stash for at least 6 months (lucky us !) so it's not all hopeless yet. But the $1,000,000 questions is whether there is anything to be done ?

The base option is "do nothing". But will anything change in 6 months ?

Or continue burping ? But (a) why and (b) for how long ?

Or ??????

Did I imagine once reading some folk put fruit peel in their buds ? And it can soften/sweeten the smoke ?

I'm thinking I might have harvested a bit early, but at 11 weeks ???

Thanks in advance all :):yep:

did it dry properly over the time in the jar (go hardish) or is it still springy and soft? (green tasting)

maybe brown bag it for a few days in a very low humidity environment? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twigs said:

did it dry properly over the time in the jar (go hardish) or is it still springy and soft? (green tasting)

maybe brown bag it for a few days in a very low humidity environment? 

Definitely not soft/springy now. It ground perfectly - and had a pleasant but weak sweetness to it.

As far as I know I dried it as I always do. Left a few stems in the basket, and waited until they snapped - about 10 days in if I remember, which is pretty usual.

16 minutes ago, Jimboo said:

Water cure Jimmy try a small herb jar full first see if you like it ,

Never water cured. From what I've read it's all a bit marmite ? Some really detest it.

I thought water curing was really for people in a hurry who can't be bothered to, or hadn't the space to burp daily.

I managed to roll a weeks worth with the "little bit" I ground yesterday :( As I say, it's totally smokeable and has a good hit. But having been a UK420er for 14 years, I know you can get a lot, lot better.

I know - I've been spoiled all these years :)

• Like 1

is a while since I put some orange peel in my jar, it certainly changed the taste was very nice but is not the same vaping and ingesting it so I stopped doing it 

• Like 1

Just now, JimmyPage said:

Never water cured. From what I've read it's all a bit marmite ? Some really detest it.

I thought water curing was really for people in a hurry who can't be bothered to, or hadn't the space to burp daily.

I managed to roll a weeks worth with the "little bit" I ground yesterday :( As I say, it's totally smokeable and has a good hit. But having been a UK420er for 14 years, I know you can get a lot, lot better.

It will tone down the taste mate a full water cure 7/10 days might even make it bland, But it does take away the green/Chlorophyll taste,    What about something simple like smoking it with a filter instead of a roach if you don't already

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyPage said:

Be interesting to let a person who hasn't been 'spoiled', as you put it, try a bit and give their perceptions. I think we loose touch sometimes - I know I did.

Or its just shite. It happens sometimes, eh.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

Be interesting to let a person who hasn't been 'spoiled', as you put it, try a bit and give their perceptions. I think we loose touch sometimes - I know I did.

Or its just shite. It happens sometimes, eh.

The problem is there's no way to get some to anyone. Nobody knows we smoke, let alone grow :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick and varied replies ... a lot to look into.

Aside from making it nicer to smoke, my main concern is to try and understand what went wrong ? I don't think I did anything too different to previous grows.

Even if I harvested a bit early (which I don't think I did) it can only have been a week, 10 days. Would that make a difference ?

And shouldn't curing have removed all the chlorophyll over time ?

So .... last night tried again. I pre-roll for a week, so these were 24 hours ground and rolled. Much less of an "off" taste, and quite a nice hit.

So hopefully, with a little more curing and the 6 month delay as we get through the old stash :) and everything should turn out OK.

But still puzzled as to what went wrong ....

Thanks for all the chat guys - all good to know. Hopefully won't need it in future !

Edited by JimmyPage

Sometimes ,not often but with an auto anyway ,that's had enough or too much feed ,it's hard to rid the leaves of chlorophyll . I chopped an auto like that a month ago ,too green on the leaf ,and I can taste it . 

A lot of my outdoor bud tastes the same ,mediocre ,and it's bone dry for three months . Several of the elements and reasons why so ,firstly a good hardy strain but boring smoke ,indoors and outdoors . Less sunshine for later finishing plants ,underdeveloped flowers etc but some RGSC autos were A1 . 

Indoors also I have been even more disappointed . Two years ago I grew a few Humboldt seed strains ,admittedly I ruined the autos myself but the finished product on some of the photoperiod strains looked alright ,had no nose to it ,six months later some of those strains still smelled the same and the buds were similar . Lots of orange hair ,a great yield , a pile of sh1t . When it comes to autos indoors it's me that's the pile of sh1t ,even the poor ones were way better than the photoperiod strains ,five or six of them . It's an awful lot of time and energy wasted .

Edited by Michael Luchóg
  • Like 1