The constantly changing smell of cannabis plants as they grow

greensprout

Does anyone else smell their young plants on a daily/hourly basis?
Pick up a young plant and stick your nose right in there! Sometimes cut grass, sometimes pine, sometimes minty, sometimes the linalool is strong and other times nothing at all. Sometimes I take a lungfull of linalool and the next breath in is just cut-grass, as if the linalool was released in a limited amount.
Do they cycle rapidly through different stages of terpene growth every few hours?
As some of you know I harvest fresh young plants for medicinal use, and I'm now trying to experiment with harvesting at the exact moment when a

particular terpene smells strongest.

• Like 3

I turn my plants around on my knees face touching my plants occasionally cant help but get the strong smell, my favourite aroma is from the curing jars

• Like 1

I've never put this much thought into it, but there is without a doubt various smells even in young plants. 

I usually just pick up on strength of smell rather than the actual type of smell. There is a general school of thought that a good smell in younger vegging male plants can indicate it could carry good Stud potential, I don't follow that too firmly myself but it is a thing. 

As it stands though I usually mark off anything that has a nice smell early on and to this day I have yet to see a pattern between nice smell young equalling good plant in flower. In short I personally don't think it's definitive that a good smell in veg will give good Terpenes in bloom. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GreenVision said:

In short I personally don't think it's definitive that a good smell in veg will give good Terpenes in bloom. 

I'm only growing to 4 leaf nodes for medicine, but I think it's also about temperature. When the plants are cooler they don't smell half as much. I grow at room temp with no tent and they can be completely odorless when it's cooler. I wonder if this means they hold on to the terpenes more when cold, so harvesting fresh leaves cold means getting more medicine from the plant?

I've stopped bending down and sniffing my plants.  Too many times have I managed to suck the leaves right up my nose. :thumsup:

• Like 1