Is signing cannabis petitions a waste of time?

DrHemp

We’ve all seen them pop up on our Facebook or Twitter feeds, yet another cannabis petition. You’ve probably signed one, I have, and will likely sign another since it only takes a few seconds.

That does not mean I’m under any illusion signing a cannabis petition will do any good whatsoever. They don’t.

Read more at: https://feed-the-birds.com/politics/cannabis-petitions-waste-time/

• Like 1

From the article:

"If you really want the law changed then if every person who was offered a cannabis caution or light penalty at a Magistrates Court asked to be tried at a Crown Court, I’m confident cannabis prohibition would soon end in the UK, given there are over two million regular consumers on this island. The already overstretched Courts would soon be piling massive pressure on the government to change the law, as it would bring the Courts to a standstill." Chris Bovey.

Could be an idea..?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, elmer budd said:

From the article:

"If you really want the law changed then if every person who was offered a cannabis caution or light penalty at a Magistrates Court asked to be tried at a Crown Court, I’m confident cannabis prohibition would soon end in the UK, given there are over two million regular consumers on this island. The already overstretched Courts would soon be piling massive pressure on the government to change the law, as it would bring the Courts to a standstill." Chris Bovey.

Could be an idea..?

Unfortunately mate i don't see this making a blind bit of difference, 2 mil maybe but there are few cautions/convictions for light penalties relating to canna use/growing. Just checking on the fly here not properly researching throws up around 15 thousand convictions in 2017, 7k of them being cautions, that wouldn't be anywhere near enough for them to consider law changing due to an inconvenience and/or saving money. The government does not give two shits unless it makes them proper money or seriously causes them too lose it unfortunately. 

Yes the petitions can be heard in the house of commons for a vote if it reaches a certain number of votes but again unfortunately it would most likely fall on deaf ears

the cps has the last say on who is prosecuted, is no way they would take a case to crown court that has little value, unless they all admit supply. I would never sign a petition i'm happy the way things are.

We should probably do all the things.:skin_up:

If all a person can do is muster the motivation to click a button - mebbe they had a drag of a splif at some shit party in '80 and got off with some girl; this the sum total of their shits given - and perhaps give a post code too...well, I doubt that just before that act they were mulling over 'Doing A Jeff'...but I do agree with the concept of direct action using the law against itself, in a roundabout harrying way, which if carried out by an organised and loosely defined collective with advice from people within the target organisation, could be very affective.

...over-all, though, Chris's slightly sneery vibe over a person only having validity as a 'freedom fighter' if they throw that freedom away easy, or risk it ...fuck that. We differ.

• 2 months later...

5% of total population in capital protesting for change refusing to move until law is changed... it's that simple... how do you get so many people who agree with the cause to protest together ? lol

• Like 1