old tent just chucked, think its unsafe

Bustin Jieber

had a secret jardin 120 the mylar was coming off on the inside in little bits, i seen some on the carbon filter and im sure i seen something sparkle in my grinder, what should i do?

I get this happening first on my floor. Scratching it with my pots etc, it appears as black lines. I wouldn't be worrying too much, just plan to get it replaced next grow, or if your poles and corners are good, find a replacement cover or re-line the inside with mylar roll?

@bazil brush You just made me look what mylar is - dupont trade name for their reflective PET.  So one thing is that not all tents will be mylar, there will be other brands available, but it should all be PET I would think.  Next thing is that plastic degrades in light, and we all use plastic lined tents.  Smoking PET is probably toxic and certainly not recommended, so if flecks of plastic were floating around in my tent and polluting the bud, I really think I would change/fix (but unfortunately probably changing it is best).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SevernValleySavant said:

I get this happening first on my floor. Scratching it with my pots etc, it appears as black lines. I wouldn't be worrying too much, just plan to get it replaced next grow, or if your poles and corners are good, find a replacement cover or re-line the inside with mylar roll?

im binning it, had it for ages, got the moneys worth out of it, just got an budbox aw100 its a belter, white walls.

1 hour ago, elmer budd said:

@bazil brush You just made me look what mylar is - dupont trade name for their reflective PET.  So one thing is that not all tents will be mylar, there will be other brands available, but it should all be PET I would think.  Next thing is that plastic degrades in light, and we all use plastic lined tents.  Smoking PET is probably toxic and certainly not recommended, so if flecks of plastic were floating around in my tent and polluting the bud, I really think I would change/fix (but unfortunately probably changing it is best).

i know man, thats why i got a white lined one this time, hope its better.

9 minutes ago, bazil brush said:

i know man, thats why i got a white lined one this time, hope its better.

I haven't seen the white, its probably plastic too, eh?  I have a small budbox, the zip fucked me right off at the start but there was a knack to getting it to close properly.  To be fair though it does seem decent quality - not too sold on the base material though - but the rest of it seems good.  I have a little budbox lite prop tent too, but that's pretty shite - its the first tent I have ripped putting up, the plastic corners would no way hold up fans and filters for long (if they are the same on bigger tents in that range) and the zip is not completely light proof either.  No way could you use a lite as a flowering tent imo.

Edited by elmer budd

2 hours ago, Joint hogger said:

@elmer budd  if its just the zip puller thats came off ?  you can get replacements & they simply slip through the hole of the zip head & bobs yer auntie.

Thanks.  Its not broken, it was just very hard to start off - getting the metal end into the zipper end, if you see what I mean... There is a certain knack to getting it closed.

@bazil brush Rubbery eh?  I will have to look into that --- maybe its a dip coating or spray

• Like 1

Know what you mean @elmer budd, I've just started using a BudBox Pro, overall I do like it and much better quality compared to cheapo 60 quid tents, but agreed, the zip on the front has a certain knack to it :ninja:

Been using a budbox since I started growing and it's a good tent. 

Like others the zipper is only thing that has caused any problems snapped the pulley thing on the zip but managed to put a keyring through and it works have got a secret jardin dp60 prop tent and it's really bad material compared. 

The new easy install tents by Green qube look great tho use it outdoor in summer with a different cover as a marquee thing lol

• Like 1

I used a DR60 for years, loved it and quality was very good, but is now looking a little worse for wear and like @bazil brush said about his, the mylar was just starting to peel off so it was time for an upgrade, I got my monies worth from it (and more) so no complaints really.

I believe the DS and budget SJ ranges uses cheaper materials. I saw a budget prop tent (not Secret Jardin) and my god, it was lit up like a christmas tree on the outside!

I did look at Green Cube, availability seems to be limited, so I opted for the BudBox as I could get everything in one place and grab the offer that was on at the time, I'm northern so like to save money :B):

• Like 1

I also just brought mine because thats what brand they had in the store and I wanted to put all my eggs in one basket.  I have used 3 different tents in the past, non-branded and brought from the factory - all of these have been great!  I still have the 120x120cm, unfortunately I gave the other two away.

I havent used any of them long enough to wear the mylar off though, so time will tell, haha.

Funny these bud box 'military' zips are such a fiddle, eh?

• Like 1

Yeah it is funny as the tent is good quality and there's nothing wrong with the quality of the zip, its just clipping it in correctly can be a fiddle but I quickly learnt to do it slowly & carefully.

I had cut the back fold of the zip material before I figured it out, ha, still ... no harm done.  The green window is pretty cool, first tent I had with this.

• Like 1