RIP John Wilson

Owderb

Norfolk angler John Wilson dies at Thailand home

John Wilson was named the greatest angler by the Angling Times in 2004

A British fisherman once voted "the greatest angler of all time" has died at his home in Thailand.

John Wilson, 75, originally from Norfolk, was appointed MBE for services to angling in 2009, writing about 20 books on the subject.

He presented Anglia Television's Go Fishing from the 1980s to 2002 after being spotted by TV bosses in his Norfolk tackle shop.

A spokesman for ITV Anglia described him as a "legend, icon, star".

"All over-used descriptions, but John Wilson was truly all three to the world-wide angling community and thousands more who had no interest in fishing whatsoever," he said.

Steve Fitzpatrick, editor-in-chief of the Angling Times, said Wilson was voted as greatest-ever angler by its readers, 

"His impact on our sport was immeasurable," he added.

"He inspired a whole generation, including myself, to pick up a fishing rod and go fishing through his TV shows, books and magazine articles."

John Wilson, who was appointed MBE for services to angling in 2009, wrote about 20 books on fishing

Broadcaster and producer Bob Ledwidge, who worked with Wilson, said everyone who knew the broadcaster would be devastated by the news.

"John was a great guy. What you saw on television - that bubbly enthusiastic personality - was just how he was in person. This is a very sad day," he said.

Wilson, who had lived in Lenwade in Norfolk before moving to Thailand in 2013, was named the greatest angler by the Angling Times in 2004.

The magazine paid tribute to him in a tweet, saying he was "a man who gave us all incredible fishing memories with his famous Go Fishing series" who would be "missed by everyone in the angling world".

In 2013 he appeared on BBC Inside Out East to call for otters to be trapped and moved to other locations with better fish stocks to protect local rivers in Norfolk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-46196890

A lovely chap that bought angling to the masses all those years ago

Rest in peace chap :)

Owd

• Like 17

Never knew the man, but I used to love all his articles in the fishing magazines when I was young. Always in that red wooly jumper too. RIP Mr. Wilson :yinyang:

• Like 2

Aww no. :no:

Go Fishing at 8 o clock on a Thursday night was the highlight of my televisual week as a kid.

His childish laughter as he played a fish will stay with me, tight lines John. :yep:

• Like 5

Ah man this is sad news. Loved watching him when I was younger, he was always so full of enthusiasm, and that laugh! Infectious. 

RIP John 

• Like 2

You'd do well to find a more passionate man. I met him a couple of times and he was infectious, especially to the kids with all his knowledge and advice.

I hope they rerun all his programmes :)

Owd

• Like 5

when he used a branch a bit of nylon and a safety pin ,and bloody well caught something i knew he was good ..go fishing was essential viewing for wife and i ..and neither of us have fished for close to 30 years yet still have fond memories of his shows .

• Like 2

John wilson is my second best fisherman after mick brown.His programmes were awe inspiring at times. He used to catch a variety of absolute whackers on traditional tactics like the centrepin reel, like a true old school englishman.He had an ultra strong passion that you could feel in his programmes, as if you were there at the lake. Gonna miss his presence in the fishing world even more now after he retired. A truly great all round angler and a genuine top man.Rip Johnny boy!!:yinyang:

Sad news. I saw him on one of his 'stand up' tours in St Albans where he and another guy chatted about fishing all night.

The other guy was Gord Burton, an all time legend!

• Like 2

I met this guy in his shop in Norwich. Was just like how he was on telly, all smiles and shit. I think I was like 11, on holiday seeing my nan and nipped into the city shop for a bait box lol. I was star struck ha ha. R.I.P dude. :bong:

• Like 1

Gutted. Absolutely.

Salt, coarse and game.  Shore and boat.

Great angler. Brilliant diplomat for the sport.  

Sad loss.

Rip.

:(

• Like 2