HTTPS Everywhere data permissions

Seasick Steve

This came up earlier on our laptop, we're using Firefox and HTTPS Everywhere as an add on which needed updating.

large.Concerning.JPG

I haven't checked it but this seems a bit excessive when all it should be doing is redirecting, this makes it sound like it's saving website data which could include URL's. This add on / app sits on your PC or Smartphone installed into your browser so a VPN would be meaningless. Am I being paranoid or does this look like maybe they've thought of a way to save your browsing data directly from source and so can tie it to your identity. I need to have a look at this more. Or is it tinfoil area? :unsure:

:smoke:

• Like 1

Tinfoil mate, mostly*. It's always had access to your data as it's forcing your connection away from plain HTTP (if the site has the option of HTTPS, of course, it does no good on sites like this for example), but that doesn't mean to say the EFF are tracking you. Their whole raison d'etre is privacy.

If you fancy trawling through this there are more technical explanations down the page...TLDR; newer versions of firefox are more explicit about what you are agreeing to.

https://github.com/EFForg/https-everywhere/issues/16377

*It's good to be picky about browser extensions, though. The fewer the better.

• Like 1

@j.o.i.n.t Thanks for that link mate, it explains the confusion, permissions mix up in Firefox by the look of it. I'm so suspicious these days with all these permissions and intrusions into our personal stuff.

:smoke:

thing is ..your suspicious now ...but how long you been using firefox ? how long you been using add ons and extensions ? how many times you used google ,or accessed the net via android /apple /windows /linux ? 

your concerns come about 9 years too late mate ..everything and i keep saying this but not sure many recognise what this means ..every 1 and 0 ever since 2009 ..and i mean calls texts emails ,forum posts sales buys everything ...everything has been logged 

and now with the gdpr in play the companies have to inform you of whats collected and for what purpose ..just check how many add ons want access to your camera or mic or both ..this my friends is the ai using what you say to find key words for targetted advertising .it brings into play the nsa echelon system that triggers shit when certain words are typed or used in combination .mainly for anti terrorism purposes but there are other purposes that intel uses ..

basically ..youve given the major corporations and the old industrial military complex everything already .you can but limit what they can have now using https is always a good idea and i highly recommend using the stripped down google chrome which is iron .it gives you a clean browser with https settings permanent and you can set other permissions ,include ghostery as an add on for trackers ,adblock + and adblock for youtube . avoid using google search engines as much as possible and use duck duck go for a much better selection of results because its not using the same algorithim as googles search engine ...then hide behind the settee close the curtains .,blue tac your webcam and mic ..stay there for a good hour so the wifi doesnt know where you are ..you should be safe to look at peppa pig vids after that .

remember ...dont have nightmares ..

• Like 5