First smoke in a while, causing insomnia

GeekyGrower

Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't quite the correct place for this post but wasn't sure where else to put it.

Long story short.

I haven't smoked any herb for about 10 years or so but wanted to grow some for a relative who suffers from chronic insomnia (seriously they can't sleep for longer than an hour). I also thought it might be nice to have a cheeky spliff myself now and again :)

So I picked a Kush Fromage Auto from Medicann as it seemed to have good CBD/medicinal properties and just harvested and dried the first batch a few weeks ago.

I bought a vaporiser (trying to be heath conscious) and tried the product out last Sunday. I didn't feel like I got high at all and had a terribly sleepless night myself. My mind an wasn't racing but it was though my body wouldn't let me sleep. 

I put this down to not be using the vaporiser properly (which I've now learnt more about).

So last night I thought I'd give it another whirl and rolled a little mini-spliff, bypassing the vaporiser.

Within 5 minutes I was high.

Within 15 minutes I was very, very high, giggling at silly stuff on the TV!

After about an hour I started to get drowsy so took myself off to bed.

Unfortunately, I had a repeat of the previous sleepless night leading me to think it's either something with the strain I've grown or something related to me (not been used to smoking).

So, to the point: I wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience - smoking causing insomnia. If anyone has any thoughts on what could cause this type of effect I'd love to know.

I'm tempted to give it one more try, just to confirm the sleepless effect is expected each time. If it is, I might have to bin the whole harvest and re-think.

Thanks for reading, any thoughts welcome.

10 minutes ago, GeekyGrower said:

I bought a vaporiser

From my own experience and what I've read some people blame this? I smoke pure but do vape in the morning sometimes

Yea vaping temps are pretty important. I don't seem to realise it myself but seems a lot of others do. Weed affects people in different ways. I'm not surprised a newbie could struggle to sleep after it tbh, or knock  themself out, could go either way really in newbies imo.

• Like 1

There's a possibility you may have harvested a bit too early.  you can't believe breeders blurb on how long it takes for a strain.  what I'm suggesting is that most of your trichomes may have been clear as opposed to milky or amber.  For a more sedative effect it's best to wait until trichomes are  40% amber before harvest.   you can see them with a microscope, jewellers loupe or good magnifying glass...

I'd not dump it as it could be made into hash easily and the process will make the end product much more sedative than your weed.  All is not lost.

Best of luck.

Edited by Phoenix
clarity
  • Like 4

Yea I was thinking that too, because if it gave you the giggles it sounds more of the sativa buzz imo. Thc turns to cbd at the very end so its important not to chop early if you really want the kind of buzz you're looking for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Conspiranought said:

Yea vaping temps are pretty important. I don't seem to realise it myself but seems a lot of others do. Weed affects people in different ways. I'm not surprised a newbie could struggle to sleep after it tbh, or knock  themself out, could go either way really in newbies imo.

I got a bit offending by being called a newbie - but thinking about it I pretty much am! Last smoke was over 10 years ago :)

2 hours ago, Phoenix said:

There's a possibility you may have harvested a bit too early.  you can't believe breeders blurb on how long it takes for a strain.  what I'm suggesting is that most of your trichomes may have been clear as opposed to milky or amber.  For a more sedative effect it's best to wait until trichomes are  40% amber before harvest.   you can see them with a microscope, jewellers loupe or good magnifying glass...

I'd not dump it as it could be made into hash easily and the process will make the end product much more sedative than your weed.  All is not lost.

Best of luck.

Yea, I did keep a close eye on the trichomes but I think you're spot on to be honest. I think I may have harvested a bit early. I read somewhere that some autos don't really show amber so might have judged this one a bit poorly.

Thanks for your comment - I think I wanted a bit of a confirmation.  I still have 4 plants to be chopped so I'll be sure to let them go for longer.

On the plus side, I've got a few ounces of nice afternoon smoke :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conspiranought said:

Yea I was thinking that too, because if it gave you the giggles it sounds more of the sativa buzz imo. Thc turns to cbd at the very end so its important not to chop early if you really want the kind of buzz you're looking for.

Thanks, yeah as above I think I was a bit eager.

1 hour ago, GeekyGrower said:

I got a bit offending by being called a newbie - but thinking about it I pretty much am! Last smoke was over 10 years ago :)

Yea, I did keep a close eye on the trichomes but I think you're spot on to be honest. I think I may have harvested a bit early. I read somewhere that some autos don't really show amber so might have judged this one a bit poorly.

Thanks for your comment - I think I wanted a bit of a confirmation.  I still have 4 plants to be chopped so I'll be sure to let them go for longer.

On the plus side, I've got a few ounces of nice afternoon smoke :)

I can tell you are not a stranger to puff.  If I was you I'd do a good basic dry sift.  And then manipulate the shake like a spin dryer.  Or a good walk.   Or rub the hash with the heat from your hands.  You'll get a nice little ball of goodnight smoke.  Use the waste bud as baccy. 

The pound coin in a jar with a stretched tight over a mirror method works good.

Freeze before shaking.

;)