But its illegal!!!

For many years I've heard the tired argument against cannabis of it being illegal first and foremost. This concept takes the assumption that the law is in some way written based on facts, research and knowledge . 

For the sake of discussion , I'd be interested in the views of any and all on the definition of "Law" and by extension legality. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/legal

Perhaps we could start at definition 2b

b : having a formal status derived from law often without a basis in actual fact : titular 

a corporation is a legal but not a real person

Interesting that law need not have a basis in fact .... comments??

:yinyang:

I think my favourite legal hypocrisy is when someone's grow gets robbed, and the judge declares 'as you can see cannabis brings violence to local communities' 

Errr hang on a minute... Any of you lads ever had your door smashed in by machete yielding yoots for a demijon of elderflower wine? No? 

Nothing to do with the fact cannabis is illegal in the first place... Get robbed, you gonna ring the fuzz and get knocked for having your own house burgled? 

Absolutely bizzare. 

• Like 4

@Golden Syrup

I agree, completely absurd! To compound the legal hypocrisy is the fact that in order to defend oneself against legal action only facts are admissible as evidence against a Law that can be completely absent of facts in its basis. 

Revolutions have started over far less subversion  and for how many centuries have we the stoic stiff lipped British simply accepted this ?.... 

42 minutes ago, Breezus said:

@Golden Syrup

I agree, completely absurd! To compound the legal hypocrisy is the fact that in order to defend oneself against legal action only facts are admissible as evidence against a Law that can be completely absent of facts in its basis. 

Revolutions have started over far less subversion  and for how many centuries have we the stoic stiff lipped British simply accepted this ?.... 

I think we lost the taste for revolution after the Monmouth rebelion, mass hangings/beheadings/burnings tend to put people off. Remember these bastards are ruthless at the best of times, threaten their power, and you'll find out how little they really care about the general population....

The only way to pull it off would be to get the military to side with the people, which is why most of the top brass are toffs ;)

• Like 1

Illegal does not equate to immoral. Gob'mints try to regulate morality. So do organized religions. The truth is, knowing right and wrong is inside of us all, but as we grow older we become more "of this world" that is totally for being immoral, but a few of us who utterly reject being immoral find ourselves on the fringes of society, as outlaws. Hang in there everyone. 

• Like 2

You can be 100% law abiding and yet be as immoral as they come.

Kill one person, the law says your a murderer, kill a few hundred thousand, you will get the Nobel Peace Prize.

At some point in the future, hopefully people will be shocked by how primitive we were.

In a few thousand years, UK420 will be on some database. Maybe they will read this and think 'fuck me, there were some civilised bastards back then'

Peace!

• Like 1

I don't disagree about morality and law being mutually exclusive , but, it evades the point of non fact based "opinion" being capable of removing another person's rights . How , in any "civilized society" ( I use this term loosely) , can the opinion of one or more people be the basis for imposed imprisonment?

What exactly makes these concepts enforceable aside from sheer brute force? Are we as a nation truly that worn down that this is merely accepted and grumbled about rather than taking a more proactive approach when we are confronted ? 

I ask not out of criticism , more out of confusion. 

Edited by Breezus

1 hour ago, Breezus said:

I don't disagree about morality and law being mutually exclusive , but, it evades the point of non fact based "opinion" being capable of removing another person's rights . How , in any "civilized society" ( I use this term loosely) , can the opinion of one or more people be the basis for imposed imprisonment?

What exactly makes these concepts enforceable aside from sheer brute force? Are we as a nation truly that worn down that this is merely accepted and grumbled about rather than taking a more proactive approach when we are confronted ? 

I ask not out of criticism , more out of confusion. 

You answered your own question. Brute force, subtle force, mob mentality force, ANY force is how things are accepted. Next to nobody will sign up for the notion everyone look after themselves (anarchy) out of fear. Fear is the god of more than we'd like to accept...

The law is what the government say it is.

All these muppets who blather on about criminals shouldn't have human rights would do well to remember that.

A criminal is only what the government says it is. Some of my ancestors grew up in a country where it was illegal not to tell the authorities if there were Jews being hidden in the village. They didn't, and so are "criminals". And I'm humbled by it.