Tinctures

caringmum

I'm wanting to make a tincture and wanting to find the best alcohol to use - health wise!

Edited by caringmum

Thanks  @Hugh Jass 

I've been doing a bit more reading  and it seems any alcohol can be used ...

NOW! lol  I'm not a drinker " may be a bit of wine at Christmas"  I'm mentioning this because I have bottles of Whisky 40% vol /

Captaion Morgan Original Special Gold 35% vol and Lamb's Navy Rum 40% vol which have been in my cupboard for years lol 

Am I right in thinking that you have to double the volume to get the proof  ( 40 vol x2 = 80%proof or is it more?)

It seem a shame not to use it or may be I should just start to have a tipple in the evening :) 

Edited by caringmum

50% alcohol is 100 proof yes you are right.

Useing captian Morgans rum will work, but the taste will not be the same.

@Hugh Jass  As I have no idea what it tastes like I will force myself to have a little sip before adding to cannabis  :wacko:

I cannot see it making the tincture taste nasty but I will have to check that only a small amount is given at first then gradually work out the correct dosage from there.

Thanks a lot for youe help

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Isopropyl Alcohol

Is this ok to use as tincture ? Ive been using Everclear, expensive but for human consumption. I would use iso if I knew it was safe for tincture.

• 2 months later...
On 16/05/2018 at 1:41 PM, autodog said:

Is this ok to use as tincture ? Ive been using Everclear, expensive but for human consumption. I would use iso if I knew it was safe for tincture.

No it’s absolutely not safe to drink or consume in any manner it has been denatured so pissheads can’t drink it. It’s for use as an industrial solvent PLEASE Don’t use isopropyl alcohol in a tincture 

• Like 4
  • 4 months later...

I've only ever made ISO hash from trim but a mate swears by vegetable glycerine says it takes longer but in his opinion is better and check the ingredients as a lot of GM stuff in the glycerine?

Polish grain spirit... ask for that down the bottlo. There's a brand called 'Spirytus'.... that will be 95% alcohol by volume (191° US proof) you'll need for a safe to consume tincture. Same as Everclear but Polish in descent (I don't mean like Mr Sheen).

I took a shot of straight Spirytus once, and couldn't breathe for what seeemed like an eternity..... but as a tincture... a few drops after evaporating a lot of the alcohol out and you have your meds!

• Like 2