Tutanota (free encrypted email)

I think this looks like a really useful email web app, and phone app, for the members who are considering a move away from google. There are still a lot of available addresses, as well as a few domains to choose from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutanota

https://app.tutanota.com/#register

Just be aware that they are unable to do password resets, due to the nature of the encryption it uses.  So  make sure you use a password manager, coupled with a really good password.  :thumsup:

ETA:

PS: Tutanota is open source, so feel free to inspect and review the source code: github.com/tutao/tutanota

PPS: You can ask and vote for any feature here: tutanota.uservoice.com

Edited by worzel

1 hour ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

It's one of the better ones imo. Also, I'll add the links below to the 'omfg, you're using still using gmail/hotmail?!?!?' counter-propoganda. :)

https://protonmail.com/

https://www.hushmail.com/

Nice! I use both as my principal email accounts! One word of caution about free hushmail however  - the attachment allowance is kinda low and takes ages to upload since their latest beefing up in security (I'm talking dial up speed slow!) and the maximum total storage allowance is only 25mb. Proton does not suffer from these issues and would therefore be my recommendation.

• Like 1

Yup, solid point @GreengoStarr - although I've not had it that slow. Ouch.

I use both, too, but pay for Hush [for newbs reading this, they often have discount codes , and even if you've used them for a while, if you drop them a line and are nice about it, they will drop the price significantly] as I have a BILLION pseudonym addys I don't fancy setting up elsewhere. If I I'm not using a throwaway, I give each account I set up it's own address. I don't really get spam at all, or if I do, know what company that is the total cunt with their data and just bin the address and the company... Also,  'if it's free you're the product', eh :)

And fuck administering my own mail server, it's pretty easy to mess up and I've got more pointlessly interesting things to piss about with :D

[tangent]

No lie, I had a guy moaning about a slow connection the other day....and this was the result of a speed test. Ping wasn't even that bad.

Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 1593.40 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 1895.11 Mbit/s

And that wasn't the quickest test!

I'd crawl through shit to have that at home.

By the way, if this thread will attract the geeks, I must spam this wonderful VPN protocol-

https://www.wireguard.com/

It's currently still in development, and still only really a linux thing (although that will change soonish), but it's bloody lovely. Tight, modern, easy. Makes openvpn feel like the cluncky single-thread 90's shit it really is.

:geek:

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
fuck you, nag box. An emoticon, alright?!?!?

19 minutes ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

Yup, solid point @GreengoStarr - although I've not had it that slow. Ouch.

Perhaps the paid hushmail is somewhat faster than the free one, but I couldn't remember what the attachment limit was so I started uploading a few image files around 5 to 8 MBs each before I started composing my previous post to find out. Well, even after I had written and posted my previous post and dilly dallied a bit, not even one image had finished attaching. Now, you can't blame my connection as I average an internet speed around 50 MB/ps. But, from memory, attachment limit is also 25 mb, but that then puts your account at its storage limit as it is automatically saved into the sent items (I'm sure there is a way to turn off this function, but I have better things to do to waste my time than seek it out) and it then needs to be deleted from the sent folder and the trash folder to be able to use the account again.

Another drawback to free hushmail is that you have to sign into the account at least once every three weeks or the account is deleted. Again, Proton doesn't have this issue and is as equally free of charge.

Edited by GreengoStarr
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm still using my aol email lol must have had about 20 years but only use email for registering for things not for sending emails