Best substitute for Everclear

Chopperthedog

A 70cl bottle of 40% abv (40% of the contents is pure alcohol 60%water or other ingredients)  vodka put into a distilling machine and set at 79oC will get you about 280ml of 96% alcohol..

large.distiller.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for all the advice, I'm in a bit of a rush to get started so I ordered some ISO from eBay but I will go into my local polish shop tomorrow in case I can get some spirytus as the ISO hasn't arrived yet. I will look into building a rosin press for more long term though as this sounds like the cleanest method. I like the idea of the counter top water distiller as well though. Thanks again. 

On 16/02/2018 at 5:49 PM, JimmyPage said:

I'd be honest and say unless you have a pretty good laboratory, this is ambitious. Even if you start with a pure Turbo Yeast intended for distillation you won't get much beyond 60%. Try and push it any more and all the nasties that make up the wash will overpower the distillate.

If I've needed alcohol to make BHO, I've used Isopropanol from Maplin. It's used to clean circuit boards and something a hobbyist would be buying no questions asked.

If I've needed alcohol to drink, I distill my own :) 

I have a tin of the iso from maplins, I use it to clean my hands after trimming, it's quite effective at it.  Hadn't thought of using it to extract as I assumed it wouldn't be pure enough to do so?

On 13/02/2018 at 11:13 PM, NezA said:

I made ISO RSO for my Dad's Cancer it's not ideal but in a pinch it will work. As long as you purge it properly there will be no ISO (toxic) left in the end product just the bittering agent but if you are administering via gelatine capsules this won't cause any problems. 

My learnings are you need more than most sources state and for much longer go to as high a dose as she can manage until the cancer is gone or she can no longer take it. 

All the best with everything I hope it does the job

Thanks mate, how quickly did you up the dose, do you remember what amount you started with and how much you went up each day. I was thinking 0.1g day one 0.2g day two 0.3g day three etc. 

If you wish to get home made high proof alcohol safely you need a reflux still.As Jimmy Page rightly pointed out the air still (pot still)type only get 60 proof.A reflux still can safely produce 90-93 proof.

The only problem with reflux still is you need a constant running water but you can pick one up from £160 or even better make one your self with a little help from google.

• Like 2

@Chopperthedog I have a complete record somewhere I'll see if I can find it but it wasn't close to the starting dose you mention and the progression to the next dose took longer than the intervals you mention.

The patient is the biggest factor in this equation. You need to tailor the regime according to the patient this takes some trial and error. The key to the method is remembering "you can always give more oil you can't ever give less" its easier to add more oil if the patient is coping with the dose well but if you over do it you run the risk of inducing negative effects. There is a certain amount of pushing required as in my case my Dad was reluctant to up dosages and increase the frequency of the doses.

So you end up walking a fine line between treating the patient as effectively as possible (the more oil and the more quickly the better) and pushing the patient to the limit of what they can cope with the better you know them the easier you will find this. My advice is keep records of everything. Doses, Times, eating patterns, sleeping patterns, everything you can possibly think of. Neither you nor the patient will be able to remember these things full all the time. Keep a note of any physical reactions dizziness fainting etc to see if a pattern emerges. This will help inform your choices about when to increase a dose. 

You need to get the tolerance up as quickly as possible but without causing more problems along the way it's a fine line and the individual being treated will be the main factor some people cope amazingly well others not so much.

I hope this helps if I can dig out the records I'll upload a photo. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, splifi said:

If you wish to get home made high proof alcohol safely you need a reflux still.As Jimmy Page rightly pointed out the air still (pot still)type only get 60 proof.A reflux still can safely produce 90-93 proof.

The only problem with reflux still is you need a constant running water but you can pick one up from £160 or even better make one your self with a little help from google.

The water consumption was/is the reason I didn't upgrade to a reflux still when they started selling them (Google "T-1000 still"). You can see why distilleries are near running water. The other advantage they have is you can run an entire wash - 25L - though in one go. 

To be honest for what we do (make our own hooch) filtered pot-stilled alcohol which is done in 4L batches (so 6 still runs giving 800ml 60% ABV which we dilute to 40% for drinking) is perfect. It's certainly miles better than budget whisky.

Funny, for all it's weirdness, the UK has absolutely no laws against buying and selling distilling equipment or stills. Whereas some US states will seize even parts of a still if they find them.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, NezA said:

@Chopperthedog I have a complete record somewhere I'll see if I can find it but it wasn't close to the starting dose you mention and the progression to the next dose took longer than the intervals you mention.

The patient is the biggest factor in this equation. You need to tailor the regime according to the patient this takes some trial and error. The key to the method is remembering "you can always give more oil you can't ever give less" its easier to add more oil if the patient is coping with the dose well but if you over do it you run the risk of inducing negative effects. There is a certain amount of pushing required as in my case my Dad was reluctant to up dosages and increase the frequency of the doses.

So you end up walking a fine line between treating the patient as effectively as possible (the more oil and the more quickly the better) and pushing the patient to the limit of what they can cope with the better you know them the easier you will find this. My advice is keep records of everything. Doses, Times, eating patterns, sleeping patterns, everything you can possibly think of. Neither you nor the patient will be able to remember these things full all the time. Keep a note of any physical reactions dizziness fainting etc to see if a pattern emerges. This will help inform your choices about when to increase a dose. 

You need to get the tolerance up as quickly as possible but without causing more problems along the way it's a fine line and the individual being treated will be the main factor some people cope amazingly well others not so much.

I hope this helps if I can dig out the records I'll upload a photo. 

Cheers mate, even that advice is helpful. 

11 hours ago, JimmyPage said:

The water consumption was/is the reason I didn't upgrade to a reflux still when they started selling them (Google "T-1000 still"). You can see why distilleries are near running water. The other advantage they have is you can run an entire wash - 25L - though in one go. 

To be honest for what we do (make our own hooch) filtered pot-stilled alcohol which is done in 4L batches (so 6 still runs giving 800ml 60% ABV which we dilute to 40% for drinking) is perfect. It's certainly miles better than budget whisky.

Funny, for all it's weirdness, the UK has absolutely no laws against buying and selling distilling equipment or stills. Whereas some US states will seize even parts of a still if they find them.

So is distilling alcohol the same process as distilling water. I have a counter top water distiller at home that is plumbed into the main water as I always drink distilled water. I have seen the smaller counter top ones on the internet which I looked at before I went for the big one. Is it just a case of filling it up with vodka rather than water. Thanks 

11 hours ago, Chopperthedog said:

So is distilling alcohol the same process as distilling water. I have a counter top water distiller at home that is plumbed into the main water as I always drink distilled water. I have seen the smaller counter top ones on the internet which I looked at before I went for the big one. Is it just a case of filling it up with vodka rather than water. Thanks 

Distilling anything is the same concept ... :)

The still I use for alcohol was sold as a "water purifier" - its a counter top pot still from "Still Spirits". It takes four litres and most home brew shops are stocking them now. If not GIYF.

The basic principle is 6Kg sugar plus water to make up to 25litres wash with a Turbo yeast (home brew shop). 48+  hours, you clear it. Then 24 hours later you put it through the still 4L at a time (so 6 batches) extracting 800ml which is about 60% ABV, and you add (boiled) water to bring up to 1200ml 40%. So one wash gives you 7.2L of 40% ABV. You can then get various essences to add to it to get scotch, brandy, rum, sambuca, limoncello ....

Been doing it 11 years with no ill effect except not paying duty. I realise tax dodging should be immoral, but we all know that if we gave this - or any - shower of cunts an extra £1 in tax, then the chances of even 1p of that not going on bombs, wars, and their own cronies pockets are pretty much 0. This way I can donate any duty I haven't paid direct to the cause of my choice and know it's going towards someone that needs it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JimmyPage said:

Distilling anything is the same concept ... :)

The still I use for alcohol was sold as a "water purifier" - its a counter top pot still from "Still Spirits". It takes four litres and most home brew shops are stocking them now. If not GIYF.

The basic principle is 6Kg sugar plus water to make up to 25litres wash with a Turbo yeast (home brew shop). 48+  hours, you clear it. Then 24 hours later you put it through the still 4L at a time (so 6 batches) extracting 800ml which is about 60% ABV, and you add (boiled) water to bring up to 1200ml 40%. So one wash gives you 7.2L of 40% ABV. You can then get various essences to add to it to get scotch, brandy, rum, sambuca, limoncello ....

Been doing it 11 years with no ill effect except not paying duty. I realise tax dodging should be immoral, but we all know that if we gave this - or any - shower of cunts an extra £1 in tax, then the chances of even 1p of that not going on bombs, wars, and their own cronies pockets are pretty much 0. This way I can donate any duty I haven't paid direct to the cause of my choice and know it's going towards someone that needs it.

Good man. So can I make something that's the equivalent of everclear like this. Could I run that through the distiller again to make it stronger. Regarding the tax, it's not immoral, what they do with our hard earned money is immoral, I could rant all day about that, I'll start worrying about that when they start spending it in a way that actually benefits the man on the street. Cheers mate. 

8 hours ago, Chopperthedog said:

Good man. So can I make something that's the equivalent of everclear like this. Could I run that through the distiller again to make it stronger.

You can, but there is a limit. One of the drawbacks of pot stills is they tend to concentrate the bits you don't want -dead cells and stuff- so getting beyond 80% will be tricky. Bear in mind that's going into your body .....

Reflux stills continually feed the distillate, so can make stronger ABV if needed.

To be honest, I only use my hooch for hooch. I got a 1L tin of isopropanol from Maplin for making BHO (works perfectly btw).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JimmyPage said:

To be honest, I only use my hooch for hooch. I got a 1L tin of isopropanol from Maplin for making BHO (works perfectly btw).

How can you make BHO from isopropanol? Or do you mean QWISO?

12 hours ago, grunt said:

How can you make BHO from isopropanol? Or do you mean QWISO?

I make the BHO with butane as per Owderbs cafetieretiere method. I then thin it down to a liquid in the isopropanol so it can be picked up by an eye dropper ...

In the past I always just bit the bullet and paid out for spirytus when I needed it, but recently i've been seeing food grade ethanol on eBay for 15-20 quid a litre. Search for ethanol 95.

• Like 1