Old dog cbd treatment?

Growgreen

Hi, long time no poster here! Basically I have a 13 year old lurcher who’s struggling with her hips/legs. She’s been on steroids for 18 months but we’ve recently weaned her off them and onto old dog tablets called activait. Although she’s a bit more sprightly she’s struggling getting up and down the stairs, and onto the sofa etc. She even struggles standing up after laying down occasionally. Bar this she’s a perfectly happy girl. I was wondering if any of you had experience with treating this, or any other, issue/s with cbd oil? And if so recommended dosage, advice etc. Unfortunately my last grow has gone right tits up, so can’t make my own at the minute, but have some cbd oil from Holland and barret that my father in law purchased to help the wife, and wondered if anyone has any experience/advice on using this with dogs, especially aged ones. 

As usual, any advice is alway greatfully received, and very much appreciated. 

Thanks a lot

GG

I've experience in using it in.....complementary treatment of vulnerable patients of very low body weight. Toxicity is VERY low (to understate). I don't think you'll do any harm. View it as a dietary supplement, so the wide-range extractions are best (eg, CO2), but it's gets really expensive if you're paying full price. Hemps best, if you don't want a very sleepy dog.

Have you done a search? There's the usual advocates that say is fixes eveything, but nothing that says it's toxic at all in dogs from what I can tell.

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
  • Like 1

I wouldn't advise using active (the stuff that gets you high). It's got no way of understanding what's going on, it may cause distress.

• Like 2

My brother gives his dogs just pure store bought hemp oil, mixes it into the water and they lap it up. Supposed to work wonders on animals. 

• Like 1

It is my understanding that dogs much like humans have an endo cannabinoid system there is no reason to believe that cbd wouldn't have the same benefits for dogs as it does for humans I would certainly lower the dose significantly it certainly won't do any harm in my opinion. 

Please not this is only my opinion and is certainly not based in any veterinary experience it is certainly worth asking about on the Internet I would look for a veterinary forum perhaps I imagine information will be scarce at best and more likely non existent. All the best finding something to help your pooch 

• Like 2

check out the states and see whats going on there dude im sure their vets are using it

their was a book written by an american vet and its uses on animals ..quite some time ago 

:stoned: 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah I’ve had a good search and found that it’s fine, just starting her off on one drop in the morning and evening. It’s benefits could be huge or minimal, as the research on it is only short term so hard to find definitive answers. Either way we will give it a go and see how she gets on. Thanks again everyone, much appreciated. 

• 3 weeks later...

So she’s been on the Holland and barret oil a few weeks now and all’s good, but I was wondering where else to buy from as not heard great things about the h&b one. It’s for the wife as well so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Have you seen any improvement? My two are getting on now and the older one struggles a little now. I know lots of dogs that would benefit if it has a positive effect.

Ive done quite a bit of reading around the subject and theres a quickly growing amount of research being done in the US regarding pets.

Some Dog species have almost ten times the cannabinoid receptors than we have so dosage is the most important part and the area to be careful of.

Starting on only one drop and working up a drop at a time over several weeks is best practice.

Obviously strength is an important area to be aware of but by buying the cheap mainstream products,as you are, you know theyve been developed,tested and its strengths are as uniform as possible. As such it's wise to use more of the weaker oil rather than a stronger oil that's alot easier to over do. 

When the dosage is right your furry family member should just look a little relaxed,move easier and may even sleep a little more! but it's ok as their feeling less pain and stress from the conditions they're suffering from.

It works,it's natural and aslong as your careful it's as safe as any other drugs given by a vet.

Interestingly, they've discovered that some Horses who are unwell and in pain will time and time again choose Cannabis to eat out of a variety of food offered and seem aware of its properties.

Edited by Badbadger
  • Like 2