AMD Ryzen.

GreenVision

I know this one wont draw much attention, but I was wondering if anyone here has had real sit down time with any of these yet?

I am going to be doing a rebuild, likely in the next 8 weeks if I get round to it. And I know word on the grapevine says gamers have started to hint the top of the range high end Ryzen is not out doing the i7-6850k. But then I think this was expected.

But the Ryzen is bloody close and its half the price!

I usually do side with intel, I've only had one PC with an AMD socket, and the net is also saying there is early glitches coming back to AMD from Ryzen users already.

Hoping someone might have used one? I' know all the specs but you never really know unless you find someone with real experience. And for the sake of an extra £200 on the intel which I know is a brilliant CPU I dont want to mess up a £3000 build with an AMD CPU that has glitches.

So if anyone finds this before October time please do @mention me and give a thought or two on the Ryzen.

Cheers.

GV.

I'm kinda out the loop nowadays but I imagine if you're more for gaming then the Ryzen probably ain't for you. It does look good for some of the virtualisation stuff it offers that Intel don't - GPU passthrough and booting VM's directly.

I'd still buy Intel if I was in the market though... for the same reasons I'd always buy Nvidia. Compatibility / Market forces, call it what you will.

• Like 2

I'm not into gaming but I am computers. My builds aren't really high spec because they don't really need to be lol. If I were you I would go with what you know, I'd say give it more time yet for the ryzens. You never know they might all start glitching after so long.

I will come back with a little pic or two of the build once done. Might take a bit longer than I'd like as saving pennies with 5 kids isn't easy, plus the wife is none too happy about the amount of money these things cost. To her a £300 PC is no different to a £3000 PC, which I understand. But it's been a long time since my last upgrade, so she's being kind enough to allow it.

Isn't the 6850k quite an old cpu now? :unsure: With a 3k budget, wouldn't it be better to buy a more recent cpu for a more recent mobo?  For that sort of cash I'd be looking at something to go with an 1151 socket or the new 2066 :smug:   

@Saddam  2066 :eek:

Jesus wept mate I wanna play a few games not hack NASA lol 

That said I would sleep with a very large grin on my face hugging my new PC if inside it was harnessing the new i9 7900x or the i7 7820x .... But Christ that would take the budget to a whole new level.

The 7820x is possibly the best gaming CPU in the world atm. But the cheapest you would get an MB and 7820x CPU even in a bundle I would guess maybe £750 - £850 for a lower end MB.

And 3k isn't really my budget it was just a number. But this said it is on the shortlist of of possible CPU's in my little black book. And the ASUS X299 Deluxe is a thing to behold. But then that's over £1000 before I have a case. And I have my eye on Corsairs new Obsidian 900d which isn't cheap either. 

• Like 1

for that kind of money I wouldn't go anywhere near an AMD cpu,Ive built a few with higher end AMD cores and they've just been so uninspiring in real world testing with random glitches not a patch on the solid, reliable,performance you'd get from Intel.

Stick with Intel is my thought.

• Like 1

the i7 7700k is the best cpu atm for gaming but ryzen 7 isnt too far behind it & is a good bit cheaper,

but you should also look at the ryzen 5 cpu's.

this is a good vid from jaytwocents about intel's new rush job cpu's.

if my motherboard hadn't chucked it in january then I would have waited for ryzen myself but ended up getting a i7 7700k,

I'm also in the process of getting the bits for my first hardline watercooling set up but it's a tricky build as my case is a silverstone FT02.

• Like 1

@Joint hogger tbh I may go with the 7700k just for sake of the extra £300 savings. The numbers say the 7820x is a great CPU, and there are a few good reviews from users. But there isn't much more there over the 7700k for double the price. Although I may get less of a CPU (possibly) in the 7700k, I would feel ripped off with the 7820x because I'm not a hardcore gamer and I cant see me needing much past the 7700k anyway.

The latest processor is always a rip off, the cost goes up exponentially and the benefits are not easy to tell

If your playing games you are far better putting the money into a better GPU and even that is the same shit, you see when you have the latest processor and graphics card then you are ahead of the software so there wont really be any games out there to actually utilise the extra power so the latest hardware is always waiting for the software to catch up

I have a University issue laptop that is an i5 with a half decent (at the tme) GPU, I recently was given an i7 laptop from work that is meant to be this amazing spec and I found it surprising that my Matlab sims dont run much faster at all, the extra RAM makes a big difference to processing large files but the speed of my simulations has been nothing but a let down

Go for the middle of the road and your quids in and will struggle to notice any difference at all

My 2p