Confused about optical audio connector

Artificial Emotion

I bought a computer that has an optical audio plug (see first image) but normal TOSLINK optical cables don't seem to fit in the port. Can someone please help me out and tell me whether I need some other cable and what it's called? I just want to hook up a sound bar I bought to my computer.

My computer:

large.DSC00022.jpg.c5fb5ec8fb5b21a7a2f3b

Toslink optical cable connector which won't fit into the back of my computer:

spdif-toslink1.jpg

Edited by Artificial Emotion

2 minutes ago, GreenVision said:

Toslink?

The toslink cable I have doesn't seem to fit.

Well the world of optical sound cables doesn't have that many options as it was a short lived "New tech" really. So I think you should be able to track it down.

How about typing the model number of your PC into the net and having a look at the original specs of the PC on the makers website?

They should list every single output on that PC including which optical output you have there.

Edited by GreenVision
  • Like 1

^ the s/pdif cable doesn't seem to fit. Is it not mini-TOSLINK that I need?

Brilliant, thank you :)

Edited by Artificial Emotion
  • Like 1

If you search mini Toslink adaptor, there's one that plugs onto a standard Toslink cable. :) 

• Like 1

Have you removed that little piece of plastic of the end of the connector? As I thought my optical cable wouldn't fit until I noticed that lol

There is a type of 3.5 mm headphone jack that also comes with an optical shing out the end. Looks like that. 

They allow digital and analogue down the same plug, my Airport Express uses one.