Data privacy Check

Gerfish

It's safer to change the account password than check whether it is involved imo.  Unless you use the same password for everything....:unsure:

Edited by Bird
  • Like 1

Someone posted that link here a while ago (http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/369208-facebook/#comment-4480133).

I used it and noticed that PaddyPower had lost my details so I wrote to them to complain having stated it must have been them as no-one else could have lost the information given (true, I am careful online). They sent me £100 as a gesture of good will\by way of an apology. HINT HINT!

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I look about once a month.

Can't fight companies/sysadmins being shit with your data....but..

These days (if I have to register at all, as I prefer not to) I mostly use either throwaways or pseudonyms via my email provider when registering new acounts. one for each account -  [companyname]@email lets me know who done it, if they indeed do-do the deed and sell/'share'...so far none of them have. Also run passwords against rockyou.txt and others. Anything under 9/10 chars is broken, I go big. Dr Pound explains much better than I can ...and things move fast.."only 40 billion a second? pah!" is just around the corner.

My ISP, all going well, only sees random shit. VPN is not a perfect solution by any means - it's just choosing who gets the potential look in, if they choose, as opposed to our gov who have promised to log our site visits . My choice was some anti-gov types.. Fuck Tor for general browsing, too slow. Not all that anonymous, either, if you just use it for normal facefuck/banking/you stuff along with buying your human slaves and angel dust on the darkwebs (or whatever :D )

Then there's DNS, browsers being jumped up info leaking shits....oh it just goes on and fuckin on...but this is a pot forum not paranoidnixwankers.com

If anyone wants help with any of this, drop me a line. It is quite important, I believe, to start being a bit precious with your info. There's been a massive 'land grab' by the Tories, assisted by Labour too!!!!!

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
evangelism

• 2 months later...
On 02/06/2017 at 7:45 AM, mrrichiet said:

Someone posted that link here a while ago (http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/369208-facebook/#comment-4480133).

I used it and noticed that PaddyPower had lost my details so I wrote to them to complain having stated it must have been them as no-one else could have lost the information given (true, I am careful online). They sent me £100 as a gesture of good will\by way of an apology. HINT HINT!

When on the dole I was getting more in compensation from businesses than the dole! Well, mostly.

I never ever give businesses any personal data and haven't for a long time, but if they do really need it then I send them (it has to be in writing, or they can deny the notice) a data protection act notice, section 11. It makes it some kind of crime for them to spam, and the business can be fined. But there's some kind of suing possible, and so if the business thinks you are serious they will pay you off.

It's win-win, it really stops the junk, but when it doesn't you can get like £150. For them sending you an email or something. And woe-betide anyone that then spams again, they will pay out at least double. Got that from a bank.

One thing I haven't tried yet with compensation is asking for a portion of the company's annual profits, in proportion to the costs an individual would face for a social infraction. So for littering a person might get fined 100UKP, which is a percent of the average British person's income. Apply that percent to the company's annual profits, and you are looking at compensation of thousands for tiny infractions. Numerically it is fair, but a business would really moan, and that reflects their expectations of privilege in society: 100UKP is something like 2 days of minimum wage work, so why shouldn't a business face a loss of 2 days income when they dump unwanted stuff?

• Like 1

On 01/06/2017 at 5:38 PM, Gerfish said:

A simple way to check if your email address has ever been disclosed as part of a data breach

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

And yes at least 1 of mine was thanks to Dropbox, Linux Mint and iMesh............

Now to check the other 12 :banned:

so what do you do if it has been breached like mine mate cheers

7 hours ago, twigs said:

so what do you do if it has been breached like mine mate cheers

Change it, soon as, along with the password used, unfortunately.

Just to be safe.

If it's connected to some kind of online storage service like google or Farsebook.

Can't overstate the importance of changing the password, especially if it's used on multiple accounts, profiles etc.

The "outing" of a password is like gold to some nefarious fuckers.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Gerfish i saw this email pawned checker somewhere else a while back online but seeing it here reminded me I need to reset some email passwords!
My LinkedIn and Skype account got hacked a while back too somehow and I'm careful with IT security... think i accepted a contact request which must have started it.. i don't click on any fishing links etc. Careful with spoof sites/check url.l
So easy to get compromised. I found its been more of an issue since I started using my android phone, a lot more vulnerable using apps like skype etc.
My Bro's Dropbox got hacked before and generated emails to his whole contact lost to download some sketchy file of his!

P.s. I'd make your passwords non plain words/upper lowercase/special characters. And use an onscreen keyboard for banking passwords.

• Like 2